• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"CheapShot" cast lead balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Decided to give these cast round balls a try...delivered price $56.00/1000...I'll post a range report in a couple weeks...has anybody already tried this guys stuff?

052806-Cheapshot.jpg

I see the box says target and plinking grade. Are there other grades? Hunting maybe? If so what is the difference? :hatsoff:

Huntin Dawg said:
I still haven't heard of anyone using them.

Well, you will soon...won't get them in time to try them this coming weekend, but I'll shoot them the weekend of June 10th...hope they're good because they're the least expensive of any I've ever bought...let you know

gmww said:
I see the box says target and plinking grade. Are there other grades? Hunting maybe? If so what is the difference? :hatsoff:
Don't have a clue...but if they'll shoot coke cans off the 50yd line, they'll be perfect for my Saturday fun shooting

I suspect a deer being hit with one can't tell the difference either! :)

:v Its lots cheaper to cast your own!!!!! No postage ,you can insoect them and weigh before you spend the money. lead is cheap or free,save your money Boys. Bob

lonesomebob said:
:v Its lots cheaper to cast your own!!!!! No postage ,you can insoect them and weigh before you spend the money. lead is cheap or free,save your money Boys. Bob

No doubt after recouping the initial investment it would be cheaper...and I'm tuned into making my own ammo in general, spending a lot of time over the past 25 years making my own...have progressive reloading machines lined up on workbenches for .410, .28ga, .20ga, .12ga, .30-30, .30-06, .35Rem, .264 WinMag, .38/.357, .45ACP, and .45 Long Colt.

They turn out a complete round of ammo with every pull of the lever, so it would really take some getting used to making round balls only 1 (or 2) at a time...maybe when I retire I'll try my hand at it but right now I just buy them as inexpensively as I can

Deerstalker said:
Are you the seller as well? We will wait your report!
Bryan

Good gracious no, I'm the buyer...

Decided to give these cast round balls a try...delivered price $56.00/1000...I'll post a range report in a couple weeks...has anybody already tried this guys stuff?

roundball said:

If he were the seller he'd be tied to a stake for advertising on the forum:winking:

Do you plan to do quality tests such as weight and diameter measurements on these balls when you receive them?

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
roundball said:

If he were the seller he'd be tied to a stake for advertising on the forum:winking:

Do you plan to do quality tests such as weight and diameter measurements on these balls when you receive them?

HD

Wasn't planning to...I don't do that to the Hornady/Speer balls I normally use so I really wouldn't have any frame of reference...I have a really accurate .50cal RB barrel and know what it does with Hornady/Speer .490s...was just planning to run 50 of these through it one Saturday and should be able to tell if there's any noticeable difference...

roundball said:
Huntin Dawg said:
roundball said:

HD

Wasn't planning to...I don't do that to the Hornady/Speer balls I normally use so I really wouldn't have any frame of reference...I have a really accurate .50cal RB barrel and know what it does with Hornady/Speer .490s...was just planning to run 50 of these through it one Saturday and should be able to tell if there's any noticeable difference...

Culls. Nasty ones at that. I just got in 500 (ordered on a whim). I cast better than that, and I'm a piss-poor caster with less than 500 rds experience.

Visible Voids, Large Sprues, wrinkles and hemisphere gap rings. bleaaah!
eck17.gif

Not the most expensive lead I've acquired for the Pot, but close.

If I don't cast it personally, I'm sticking to Black Jack Hill.

Yeah, I didn't think they were all that pretty either...I'm doing a lot of standing/offhand practice this year using a hanging 6" steel plate...if they'll be consistent enough to stay on the plate at 50yds, they'll be fine for my purposes...I don't cast and it beats $7-$8 for a box of Hornadys...will be trying them this coming Saturday

I am about as low a volume caster as you can imagine - but when a 10# Lee pot is about $50 and you can get lead for less than $1/lb, why not?

I cast for my howda (.690/.710) and I cast some pure Lead for my BP .357 loads (super-low velocity/quiet/heavy "cat-whackers") and I cast some RB to keep in the habit. Everything I shoot regularly I buy - from Bill at BlackJack Hill.

I'm not a huge fan of Swaged balls.

Bill always hand sorts his balls for lot/weight consistancy. No "dimpes", they rate at around 5.5 BHN (totally soft) for $12/100. A little more than swaged, but you won't find nicer unless you cast yourself. No shipping if you order more than $30 worth.

He will also (for a small upcharge) send you balls that weigh within +/- a grain or less (IIRC)
[url] http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_7[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The past few years I've been averaging 1500-1800 balls/year and it's just weekend shooting for enjoyment and to keep in shape for hunting season...not a bullseye shooter so I don't bother with the weighing/sorting routine.

I'm always buying auction stuff...ie: just today I received 5 boxes Hornady .520's and 2 boxes Speer .440s for $5/box delivered.

Maybe when I retire I'll set up and try my hand at casting

Back