• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best lead for casting ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering what type of recycled lead is best for casting round balls.
My brother picked up 47 lbs of lead from scuba diving weight belt for $2. Curious if it would be good.
Also wondering about car/truck battery lead. Got a 120 lbs battery at work I could grab.
Hope to cast my own someday.

Last edited:
First, regarding car batteries, been there, done that. Won't ever do it again! 😵‍💫 recovering the lead is a messy process and I don't know what the exact alloy is but it made some ery hard balls. I cast quite a bit of wheel weight for cartridge guns and I'd say the battery stuff was harder.

It's commonly said to try to scratch lead with a fingernail and if you can scratch it, shoot it. Forty seven # for two bucks is a good deal 👌 Hope it is usable.

Battery lead is dangerous to work with because of the acids used, also it is alloyed with elements that give a hard ball. Lead flashing or old lead pipe is desireable. I use as pure as I can get for my rifles and anything I can get for the smoothbores! The purest lead I ever got was from when they redid the x ray rooms at the local hospital.(It even had a little green glow! ha ha)

Bite the bullet so to speak and go to roto metals and order some pure soft lead. I got 5 lb the other day for $20.

Another source that is said to be pure lead and I have used it before with good results..... Is soil stack flashing from roofs. It's pretty expensive to buy just for that purpose but if you know any roofers you might get your hands on some they have taken off

Agreed. My collection is old but I got to the point where I use my smallest pot.

I got to the point where i would start with the roofing lead and then add a specific amount of pewter or just tin.

Now for muzzloaders, pure lead is the ticket best I can recon.

Roof jacks, lead sheet flashing, and lead shower pan liners are good scrap sources for round balls. The material is not pure but it's close. The balls will get slightly harder as they age a few weeks from when they were first cast, but still good.

Wet-cell automotive batteries will kill you, not kidding. The problem is calcium added to the plate material to make them hard and vibration resistant makes phosgene gas when heated in the melting pot and one whiff is all it takes. Also, the junk you skim off will release extremely toxic gas when it absorbs moisture from the air. Bad, bad stuff altogether.

For a smoothbore, the lead alloy wheelweights work fine for round balls only. Save your soft lead for rifles, revolvers, and those funny looking pointed things with hollow bases that have to be soft to work right. The zinc alloy wheelweights are no good, sort them out and recycle them.

Diving weights are usually whatever is cheap from the scrap yard and are often contaminated with zinc wheelweights that were indiscriminately melted in with the other scrap. Zinc, even in sub-percent quantities, makes lead and lead/ antimony/ tin alloys very difficult to cast.

I’ve always used scrap lead. I avoid wheel weights for muzzle loading but would use it in a pinch for patched round balls. Not in cap and ball revolvers. Too hard to load and get a good seal. Dive weights, sail boat keel, roof lead, plumbing scrap all work well.

I use a pair of pruning loppers to chop up my 1 lb ingots so they will fit inside of my ladle and then I use a propane torch to melt about 2 oz at a time. Need to get me a melt pot one of these days

So much misinformation regarding wheel weights and sailboat ballast.

I'll never understand the desire for people to steer others away from a free and highly usable material.

Soft lead is soft lead.

Whether it comes from Roto-Metals, a sailboat or the wheels of a '63 Beetle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back