• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

char cloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures on the thread. I just made some charcloth last weekend. I had some extra linen and cut it in to 1.5in squares. I have an Altoid's tin with a nail hole punched in the top. I loaded it to the top, closed the lid, and then buried it in the hot coals of my fire. I pulled it out after about 20 or 30 minutes, let it cool, and checked it. It was done. If it wasn't, I'd just put it back in for a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made some char cloth today. I used some round patches that i make for my 50 cal. GPR. They work great! Thanks for the good advice I cant wait for the next rendevous.

Now that you've learned charcloth, try moving on to making charwood which is what they used back in the fur trade era. You'll find that charred puncky wood works just as well as charcloth and is historically correct. Even better, charred punk wood is free and is an inexhaustable supply.

I like charred wood as well. Make it the same way you make the charred linen. I always have charred wood in the bottom of my tinder kit covered by a piece of leather. You drop sparks in to the char until you get some glowing. I hold my tinder nest directly on top of the char and blow until it catches fire. You'll want a tinder kit with a finger hole to hold it, for as you can imagine, it gets very hot. When you're done, put the leather back on top of the char and close the lid to extinguish it.
IMG_2988.jpg

BBQ charcoal works just fine for making either char cloth or char wood.

Something which needs to be pointed out to anyone learning to do this is that the cloth can be over cooked. It will lose all it's strength, get so it is almost like soot, and you can't handle it without having it fall apart. It should still be strong when you are finished. I always take the can off the fire when I see the main smoke coming out the vent hole stop. You can always put it back if need be. The cloth will work very well even if it has only gotten to the deep brown stage.

Spence

Briquettes? Probably not, but the regular hardwood coal should work. I once read the it was possible to use charred wood from a burnt out stump left over from a forest fire. Saving a few cold coals from last night's camp fire is another possibility. Disclaimer: I only read this and have not proved it out myself. I will give it a try next chance.

chance said:
Can you cut up old tshirts and use them?
Most of the fabric used to make clothing items, like shirts an pants an such have a flame retardent added and it don't matter how many washings it's been through.
You can get it to char but getting a spark to take hold is a dickens, sparks will land on it but not start.

Gun cleaning patches, or fabric used for ironing boards are chemical free and work good.

chance said:
Can you cut up old tshirts and use them?
Yes, you can, and they will work, but I prefer something a bit heavier. The thin stuff tends to burn up quicker once it catches a spark.

char2.jpg

char6.jpg

char8.jpg

I have used regular briquettes and had no trouble, but you need to have a fair bunch of them and give them time to really get going well.

Spence

Cut up some old 100% cotton blue jeans heavier fabric seems to work real well dont pack your can to full or it wont char very well in the middle

Secret I learned is to cut the rear end out of worn out 100% Cotton Men`s Underwear. Before you Char it, stretch it length wise. This will catch Sparks on the first try and burns Hot. I`ve started many a five second Fire with it done this way...

I believe your question was: "Could one throw a spark at BBQ charcoal and have it take?" Am I right?

Am new in here, but old in making char. I prefer either outing weight flannel or diaper flannel(non fire retardant). This seems to catch the sparks better than anything else I have tried, though the strings I unraveled when making my last hunting frock worked very well.

Back