• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Channel gap on the stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a first time front loader builder, working on a Lyman Great Plains rifle. I have a question on what I should be looking for in the channel gap between the barrel and stock. Setting the barrel in the stock, the gap varies between .004 and .030 inches. How should I approach this? Scrape the sides so I have an even .030 gap? seems to me that is too much. Try to get something inbetween and glass bed the barrel? Leave well enough alone? Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks much,
Scott

Glass bedding is one approach, but a PITA, if you have no experience with it. If there is no real slop, side to side, and accuracy is not being affected, I would suggest just living with it, or filling the gaps with darkened beeswax, or a similar wax, just to keep moisture out. This sort of thing is not uncommon with factory made muzzle loaders.

.030 sounds like quite a lot, but as Wick says, if there is no real slop it will probably work just fine.
Depending on how you finish the stock, some of that gap will disappear when the wood swells from the added oil. Also, if you finish the stocks barrel channel with one of the materials that build up with multiple coats like Tru-Oil, that will reduce the clearance a bit without adding a hard to work with filler like the bedding compounds.

Zonie :)

Zonie said:
Depending on how you finish the stock, some of that gap will disappear when the wood swells from the added oil.

Hmmm, I didn't think about the stock swelling when I finish it. I probably should take some more out where the barrel and stock are real tight. The .030 gap is down at the breech end, looks like the router took a little too much out at the factory. Thanks for the input Zonie.
Scott

You can carefully carve a wood wedge, and fit, and glue it in that gap. Try to find a piece of walnut that closely matches the color. make it slightly high, then trim to the channel. I only had to do this once, on a precarve, but it worked very well.

Latest posts

Back