• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chamber pots...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok,perhaps this is too indelicate a subject to bring up but what is a good present day version of a chamber pot to bring along to rondys?With the wife and young daughter along it would be downright handy to have a convienient alternative to the often less than close or less than clean "hooters" that are at some events.Now,I am guessing that some of you folks bring something along for those latenight calls of nature so what version seems to work best for you?

When Granny sold hers at a yard sale, she had to tell me what the folks said, that bought it....."it will be great to make chili in"

I've never seen a chamber pot from the early-mid 1800's, but they were probably around. I would use a tin pail. James Townsend&Son has them for about $20.

Just a thought.

Pare-

Try tellin the womenfolk t use a frozen mtal bucket.... more fun to wrestle a bear.

A few of my friends keep chamberpots in their tents. I don't want to have to empty on in the morning.

My solution........I keep a 1 liter mountain dew bottle in my tent. The wide mouth helps with aiming......the lid helps with disposing. And if it's spotted in the morning before you have a chance to get rid of it, it isn't quite as disgusting......

Dig a hole in the cold, cold ground, pour in some
lime. No Pot to carry out. :crackup: :crackup:

Redwin :redthumb:

When Granny sold hers at a yard sale, she had to tell me what the folks said, that bought it....."it will be great to make chili in"
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Cruzatte

Paul,
I dont know about anyone else, but a bucket is a regular part of my "camp gear" [url] lol...nuthin[/url] I hate more is trapsin to a hooter in the middle of the night. At the rondy I just got back from a guy had one of them portable potty set ups....

Oh my :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :crackup: :crackup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I gotta laugh at this..awhile back the wife came home after a visit at a flea market. I asked her what she was going to do with that thunder mug. She literally had no idea what I was talking about and said she was going to use it for boiling potatoes...alas...thankfully..common sense prevailed and I did not go into too much detail...wimmin get funny if you try to explain things like this.

If ya want to buy a chamber pot and have a piece that is a bit more PC E-Bay always has them and you cam get a basic one for around 25 bucks. If you want to get something that works great, is cheap, and hides away real easy get an oil drain pan like this.

http://www.autobarn.net/usm11837.html

There must be a lot of single guys on this site. Or at least they never take the little lady along. Pit? Hole in the ground? Oil pan? My wife insists on the portapotty and PC be da-ned! (just keep it outa sight)

I just have to add this...God, I hope the wife doesn't see me writing and telling you all this. Several years ago, we went on a camping vacation in a county park close to where I deer hunted. Now, this was a really great place to camp..you had maybe 25 yards at least of brush and woods separating you from an adjacent campsite. Well...long about 2 in the morning the wife has to go to that little house with a quarter moon cut in the door. She decides that she doesn't want to walk that far alone..it was at least 200 yards in the dark. Ok..so she has me sit outside the tent while she relieves herself in the brush..all went fine until I hear this odd sound...sounded like a gigantic frog hopping around out there..all of a sudden I see the frog..yup..the wife..she has her panties down around her ankles and is literally hoping her way out of the brush. I was dumfounded.... come to find out..she saw "eyes" looking at her in the brush...I asked what eyes? She said, "I dunno...they were eyes...red ones....kept moving up and down..one minute they were maybe a foot and a half off the ground, the next maybe a half foot or so. I had one hell of a time keeping a straight[url] face..in[/url] fact, I couldn't. Needless to say she wasn't impressed...told her finally it was a racoon. She still doesn't believe me..ah me..what can I say. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be a lot of single guys on this site. Or at least they never take the little lady along. Pit? Hole in the ground? Oil pan? My wife insists on the portapotty and PC be da-ned! (just keep it outa sight)

Lordy mercy, to me it's just easier to pee on the ground and poop in a hole, than to empty and clean the dang chamber pot! :peace: ::

But I do have a gray enamel diaper pail (mine from when i was a kid) with a lid that I use as a chamber pot sometimes in the tipi when it's cold, easier than getting dressed and putting on shoes in the middle of the night. ::
Patsy

Some of you people need to read this book that was given to me one Christmas by the kids. It seems they took great pleasure in my outings in the woods, and wanted me to be correct and informed. So they bought me the book called,

How To Sh*t in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer . At first I was not sure how to take the gift, but actually it is a rather funny book to read and has some good information for those that want to do it right. It even tells you how to make portable ones for those that in some areas it is illegal to leave your waste in the woods...

In case you want to search the title of the book it is actually spelled correctly.. :crackup:

My wife never cleans the pot. That is a job for the men. And they had best have a strong stomach, too!!! She has been a city girl for too long. I have a terrible time getting her to go camping. Hunting is really bad! I can't even get her to take pictures. She is a member of the Humane Society! Thinks killing animals is for sickies. But she likes her steak! Just don't tell her how it gets to the plate! She will stay in a tent as long as she doesn't have to set it up. Primative camping is not her thing. Camping should be done in an "improved" campground where there are concrete slabs for parking and restrooms within 25' and showers within 50'. Life goes on....... :redthumb: I need that book!

Now I know this is a wee bit :eek:ff: but gotta share this story, I chuckled a few days over it... One of the lady's where I work, has asked me quite a bit about our Rendezvous experiences, at the end of the year she said the she wanted to try camping, but didnt think rendezvousing was for her, and asked what place would be good to go to. I told her of a couple places I knew of and she said.. there are showeres there right? I said no thats what the creek is for...but they do have outhouses, :haha: :haha: but no electricity in them...that is part of the charm of camping, I think she turned white :haha: :haha: I dont think she will ever go camping :(

...but they do have outhouses, :haha: :haha: but no electricity in them...that is part of the charm of camping, I think she turned white :haha: :haha: I dont think she will ever go camping :(

Good, Cookie, more room in the campground for us!! :: :crackup:

One of my friends took her 9-year-old grand-daughter to her first Rendezvous last winter. The "hooter" at the ones I go to is a posthole in the ground, with a wood box over it with a toilet seat on top, and some canvas strung around for privacy but open to the air at the top. One or two of those for 40-50 camps...well it gets a little stinky after a while, even if the toilet seat does have a lid on it...

Her granddaughter didn't want to use it because "it looks yucky in there"!! (looking down the hole) Told her the secret was, don't look down!!
Patsy

I don't know where some of you fellas find these finicky women to marry.My wife is not the least bit shy about heading into the bush to "take care of business".The almost 4 year old daughter also isn't shy about squating on the grass when she is outside.Course,when we are at the park in town that does get a little embarassing tho... :rolleyes:

The almost 4 year old daughter also isn't shy about squating on the grass when she is outside.Course,when we are at the park in town that does get a little embarassing tho... :rolleyes:
:crackup: Dang Paul! I wouldn't (and don't) expect to see that.

BTW, a few years ago some museum in New Orleans was selling chamber pots with Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin "Beast" Butler on the bottom. Aim straight. :grey:

How To Sh*t in the Woods by Kathleen Meyer .

Someday, when you meet me around a campfire somewhere, remind me to tell you the story that led me to buy this book for my little brother.

Back