• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chain Fire Workaround: Skip Every Other Chamber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A chainfire from the front can easily be explained by the chamber(s) not being cylindrical or having a depression.

My father had a chainfire despite using felt wads. So I feel that excludes it from the front.

I quit using felt wads and loaded just a ball and never once have had a chainfire. I also use properly fitting caps.

Maybe I’ll have to try the experiment of loading all 6 but capping just one and see what happens. I’ve not seen it tested.

I’ve also read of voids in cast projectiles. How one knows is beyond me though if it’s a sphere when cast.

In my father’s case, a hard felt wad, being oversized, would push that powder granule down. If, for some reason, it did not it still would not have pulverized that granule and so would have still created a barrier with no powder trail. In his instance it had to have come from the rear of the chamber.

Have not fired my revolvers for about 3/4 years, but started shooting them in the late 1960's. Started when I was about 16 with an original Rogers & Spencer .44 (that I paid $125.00 for from a high-end gun shop and wish I had it back) that was in probably unfired condition as was common to find - at least then. Being a teenager with no protege, I loaded all 6 cylindres with powder and wadded paper for "blank" loads. As you can image my first shot turned out to be a 6 shot volley gun. LOL Scared the peewaded out of me. Cleaned the gun and put it away.
Later in the early 70's purchased one of the Italian brass framed Griswold .44. But bought some of that swaged .44 buckshot packaged in the gunny sack type bags. While the balls fit in the cylinder, they were not snug enough. Even with Crisco on top I got a chainfire at the range. DARN.
Fortunately for me, the same day at the range I met a gentleman about 20 years my senior that was familiar with black powder firearms. After seeing my loading material and procedure he properly briefed me (somewhat like a sergeant). So the right size balls were ordered from Dixie. No more chain fires.Turned out to be a great friend.
Later on, started shooting the original R&S - loaded correctly - and no chain fires. Took a .454 ball if I remember correctly. (That pistol was really accurate.)
In these later years, I have 2 1860 Army .44's and a 1851 .36 Navy that I have shot off and on through the years. No chain fires. I do like using the felt wads between the powder and ball. When the swaged ball leaves a nice even lead ring on the cylinder mouth I know I have the right fit. Don't even use any grease on the chamber mouths.
Full admission: The revolvers are the only black powder guns I prefer shooting with the imitation black. I still have a supply of Clear Shot from many years ago, most in unsealed plastic containers. This became Clean Shot later on (or vise-versa) and later I don't know (?) What I like is that I could shoot what seemed like the entire day without disassembly. Just cleaned it when home. I could swear that it burned cleaner than some modern powders. Don't know what I'll use when my Clear Shot supply runs out. LOL
So I'll quit blabbing away here. The moral of my story is I've only had three chain fires all due to operator error and ignorance.

Rick

I’ve been using various Piettas for over fifty years and currently alternate between eight .44 & .36 open tops and Remingtons. I estimate that I have been shooting an average of about 1000 rounds per year over that time. I have never had a chain-fire, not even once.

I witnessed one some years ago. At a range a guy was having a loud animated conversation over his shoulder while he was simultaneously loading a Navy. I thought at the time that he should concentrate more on what he was doing and that he had maybe been drinking. I was tending to my own loading when I heard an odd detonation. and a yelp. There was a lot of smoke and the man had dropped his gun. Two adjacent loads had gone off in addition to the one in battery. He blamed the revolver naturally and cussed it good.

My two boys and a nephew started shooting my C&B’s when they were just kids; I showed em how. Now they have their own multiple BP revolver set-ups and are in their thirties. They have never had a chain fire either, yet.

Sure, stuff happens and I may have my own chain tomorrow and it could maybe rain whores, too - but I doubt it.

My opinion is that sloppy inattentive loading and a general lack of discipline causes more cook-offs than all the other suggested reasons combined.

Back