• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1860 Army Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 1860 Army marked FIE Pietta. I acquired it second hand and do not know it's history. When I first received it the cylinder would not rotate sometimes and the whole thing was jammed up. Trial and error proved that the hammer was slightly back and not allowing everything to go into battery. I spent a few hours gently filing each nipple and trying it until I got full battery, full operation and cap ignition on each chamber. I shot about 30 caps collectively and was convinced it worked as it should. Fast forward to range day. One discharge and none of the others fired. Second cycle nothing. I pulled the caps and replaced with fresh. Same scenario. I messed with it until I finally discharged all cylinders to get it back home empty. At home I spent time adjusting the nipples with a wrench (backing them in or out a little) and discharging just a cap until all 6 caps went off. I tried 3 cylinders full and it was 100%. I left the nipples in the location they were and loaded. Just to be clear, none of them were backed out more than one full turn and I did not use a "full" charge. First shot fired. None of the following attempts went off. Some of the caps seemed flattened but didn't explode. And some didn't go off with a second or third hit. I then tried another size cap and another brand cap. Same results. So - not knowing where to go from here I ordered a set of nipples from TOTW, the only one's I found in stock that I knew were the right ones. Do you think the nipples are the cause? Do you thing a replacement of all nipples will solve this? Since I don't know what the nipples are that came with the gun I figured at least I am starting with brand new. I can take them down one file stroke at a time if necessary. Any other ideas as to cause or solution? Thanks

If you keep having troubles, spend a little more and buy a Uberti. I've seen a lot of both brands and Ubertis are considerably better built. Even if you buy from Cimarron or Taylor's, make sure you're getting a model made by Uberti -- not Pietta.

If you keep having troubles, spend a little more and buy a Uberti. I've seen a lot of both brands and Ubertis are considerably better built. Even if you buy from Cimarron or Taylor's, make sure you're getting a model made by Uberti -- not Pietta.
You may have a point regarding older Pietta guns but not now. I have new of both and the Uberti guns all have issues with rough parts and arbors. Take a look at the Pietta factory tour video - even the used Pietta made in 1995 I just bought is smoother than my new Ubertis.

Back