• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centermark Fusil Grenadier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The L&R trade gun lock is really a piece O' work! :haha: Got all the "humpiness" of the Davis with none of the length....in fact I think it is 1/2" shorter! French locks pre 1760 were 6" or close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I was editing my post on that issue as you posted.I ordered a new cock assembly so I could rework the cock and thin down the jaws and tinker with it while still using the gun four years ago after chatting with Okwaho about French locks but it is still sitting on the bench....maybe someday :idunno:

I guess it probably does not matter much with a parts set that has a 42" barrel with 1" breech and Maple stock
Well, that just about covers it doesn't it? :haha:
In a time long ago and a world far away I used one of those Davis locks and took about an 1/8" of height off behind the pan. Looked much better. Of course that created some problems with the mainspring wanting to jump off the toe of the tumbler so I had to ad a bit of metal to the back side of the mutant looking cock.....Don't get me wrong, I love Davis products!...Just not that one! :haha:

Here's the modified Ketland. Basically I put the flats on the pan and the slashes on the tail and beveled the edges of the plate and that was about it.
cbuck2.jpg

Looks good Mike, I might have lost the finial on the frizzen spring but either way works, theDavis lock would be better if stretched out to 6" the proportion might look better, a lot of French lock were 6" by 1"plus I think this is where things start looking odd is the width is close but the length is way short..anyhow if I build anoter gun it will likly be the Carolina gun from a parts set offered by a forum member who has done his homework on the parts, I wish you would have had a Fusil de Chase set several years ago. I do think that the parts from TOW with some modifications are the closest thing one will find for making a Pied de Vauche gun from Tulle without picking a piece here and there, if the lock panel is long enough for the Ketland lock it would be even better, guess we have pretty much solved the French gun troubles of the world...;'cept for maybe the "C"/"D" thing and the locks offerd for them...maybe another time :surrender:

That is a nice looking gun, keep us posted on what works for loads in it, if you ever decide to clean up the lock a bit the pic I posted is pretty much following the advice of the late Kit Ravenshear who was pretty knowledgable on these guns and many others,except I did not finish the cock jaws and back of the cock, one just has to go slow when fileing/grinding the frizzen spurs down.As mentioned on another thread most folks would not know the difference anyway.

How is the barrel secured to your Grenadier? I've been advised to consider looking for a Centermark Grendadier by a few guys within the last two days as an option for an F&I French Marine impression. Just curious about it.

I've owned 2 of them. I bought the 1st one as a kit back in the late 80's or early 90's. I forget. I threw away the sling rings & barrel band & added a piece of wood to the forestock at the breech to extend it to the muzzle. It shot like a rifle. Got out of the hobby & sold it.
I picked one up recently and did the same thing with the sling rings & barrel band. Instead of adding wood to the forestock, I cut the barrel to 39". I removed the brown from all the steel & like the way it looks. Now I have to go shoot it. If it shoots like the last one I had, I'll be more than satisfied.
IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

75dixie said:
Pics as promised

IMG_1203_1.jpg

I noticed the front lock screw on yours is the same as the one I have. I plugged the hole in the stock with some wood & moved the hole down to center the sideplate in the panel more better. You can see the witness where the old screw positioned the plate up high. I plan to strip the gun & do some wood work on it when the weather turns cold.
IMG_1775.jpg

I had one and killed a lot of game with it. I just thought of it as an American restocked musket using French parts. Jack Hubbard reworked it into a great looking musket.

Latest posts

Back