• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Centermark Fusil Grenadier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75dixie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently been offered the the rifle listed above in trade and cannot find any information on it on the web or on this site? Anyone ever own or hear of such a animal? Any info is much appreciated

Thanks
Marcus B

Marcus, Centermark doesn't have a websit but they usually advertise in either Muzzleloader or Muzzle Blasts magazine. I don't know if they still make the Grenadier or not. I believe it was the one made with a barrel band. I have seen used Centermark muskets sell from 600-1000.00 on various boards. I believe new ones are around 1300.00. Folks who are better versed than I on French muskets will be able to point out historical innaccuracies such as a maple stock or type of lock but they are a servicable and reliable gun made of quality components.

This would be a French military gun (smoothbore) and probably look much like what many call a "Tulle" but it would have one metal barrel band and the forestock would stop far enough back to allow a bayonet, the wood should be Walnut, and the bore around .69. value of a used one would depend on condition and use or no-nuse of correct wood and furniture I would say from $750 and up from what I have seen on various classifieds.

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I am trying to gather more information from the owner. Will update when I know more.

Found out some more information from the owner.

42" barrel, 62 caliber, plain maple stock.

Kinda bummed about the maple, was hoping for walnut

Owned a CenterMark Tulle fusil de chasse in .62 cal a bunch of years ago - shot center with ball and did respectable with shot - Man, I regret selling that gun! :shake: :v

Those Cenetermark guns were great shooters when they appeared on the market in the 80's. I have only seen maybe 2 grenadier models, I believe them to be pretty rare. Maybe you could stain that stock darker so the maple isn't so obvious.

I have never seen a grenadier model but have always felt that the fusil de chasse version was underated especially from from a reenactor's point of view.Maple wood is of course a drawback but as Mike points out straight grain maple should be fairly easy to darken and since the grain of European walnut is really somewhat similar I wouldn't see a problem there.The other drawback is the thickness of the barrel. These French and Liegeoise barrels are almost paper thin. This can be a drawback to a diehard purist but if you plan on shooting the gun I would feel more comfortable with modern steel and thickness.I would also like to see a somewhat longer barrel {44 1/2"}. A true Grenadier should also have sling swivels available {?} from The Rifle Shoppe although it would look OK without them.The octagonal barrel section is a little longer than the hunting muskets {Fusils de Chasse} All told this could be a really nice reenactor gun with a little tweaking and work.
Tom Patton :v

Wow, Thanks again guys

I decided to make the trade!

The rifle has sling swivels, a ring on the band and one on the sideplate.Also has a bayonet.
The stock is stained dark and looks similiar to light walnut I hope LOL.
When it arrives I will post a few pics

Yeah, the paper thin barrel metal bugs the jeepers out of me. I know it works and I have a rifle like that that shoots tight groups but doggoneit it just doesn't look right. :shake:

longtime lurker here but first time poster,I own a centermark fusil dechase and its been a good shooter for me,never misfires etc so far ive only shot #5 shot through it for hunting squirells and rabbits never shot a prb through it as I own rifles for that but I may give it a whirl.

I may be mistaken, but I think I recall that the sling "rings" are more proper on your model than swivels would have been...I think the grenider was one of the first muskets designed to be equipt and with sling attachments so that the "grenader" could actually sling the weapon to light and lob genades? The idea was then incorporated into the first regulation French military musket, the 1717? Nice find for a field gun for sure.
TCA

I handled a Centermark Fusil Chasse at the Log Cabin shop today. All I can say is WOW!, like a match made in heaven, hope this one is similar.

My mistake, they are sling rings not swivels.

When the rifle arrives I will post pictures, least I can do for all the assistance.

Thanks alot Guys!

Curious as to the price.
They have one locally at Ace Sporting Goods used for $895. It looks good, but I have never liked the style of the Davis lock. The cock is oddly shaped and the lock's overall look is more German than French.
At one time these fowlers were manufactured in the Pittsburgh area. I visited the gunshop. I had a French tradegun relic with fancier brass furniture (fusil de fine?). I offered them to copy it as a trade for a kit, but no deal so am still looking, but don't like that lock for that money! For the right price I would buy one and replace the cock or flintlock.
Ron Malmgren

" I have never liked the style of the Davis lock. The cock is oddly shaped and the lock's overall look is more German than French.'

If it is the Davis Tulle lock with the "bumps" on the rizzen it does not take much to do some cosmetic work to make it look very much like the examples in Hamiltons and others books showing originals circa 1730

P3270003.jpg

Nice job with the lock tg....but they still give me the willies :shocked2: Too tall and humpy behind the pan and the blob that the frizzen screw goes through is very un attractive. :barf:
The original French locks were slim and racy. The closest thing I have come to is to use Chambers early Ketland with modifications...far less German and lumpy.
Please don't be offended, you did a great job cleaning that lock up. With the thousands of French guns that have been made in the last three decades it's a crying shame no body produced the proper lock for them.

No offense taken.I think that using the Ketland was a great idea, I have yet to see any two French locks that had the same shape cock on them,I was looking to the Grenadier lock on pg 30 of Beauchards book as a sort of guideline, as you said it would not have been hard to get one right from the start,many use the L&R trade lock also, that one and the Davis are to short for my tastes,this itself creates one of the biggest issues with appearance to my eye, but it seems that everything got scaled down on the parts available for this type of gun.I guess it probably does not matter much with a parts set that has a 42" barrel with 1" breech and Maple stock

Back