• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap lock ignition issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
36 Navy You have a lot of advise already but no one answered one of your questions that may solve the problem. You said the hammer is ofset to one side. You can try to correct this by placing a small shim behind the lock top or bottom depends on which side the hammer is off set on. This should move the hammer toward or away from the barrel and center the hammer on the nipple. Hope this makes sence. We are trying to tilt the lock a small amount towards or away from the barrel.
This is only if you need to move your hammer sideways . It won'o work for front to back movement. Fox :thumbsup:

I'm useing cci #11s they go right on the nipple easily. If i put a cap on the nipple and lower the hammer over it the hammer doesn't sit down on the cap it gets caught on the cap and won't go down unless pushed down. If i push it over the cap on the nipple and pull back the hammer it takes some effort to pull it over the cap. it is making contact with the edge of the cap.

Easy peasy. I have one of those and I fixed 2 troubles with 1 maneuver. Take a triangular file and file a nice "^" in the forward part of the hammer, almost down to the flat in the cup. This removes the edge that is hanging and when caps get stuck in there it is easy to pick them out with your Buck knife. Then it seems that the notch actually minimizes caps getting stuck because there's no longer a cup for them to stick in. It also directs any spitzensparken forward if anywhere.

It sounds like your hammer might need to be bent a little. Before you do that check and see that the lock itself might not be tight up against the barrel. If that looks ok and you need to bend the hammer. you first need to take it off the lock. remove the hammer screw. Sometimes the hammer will come right off, or it may be very tight. if is tight you might want to get someone who has had a lock apart before to help you. If you feel confident to do this yourself go for it. With the lock apart lay your lock plate on your vice jaws on either side of the tumbler and use a square piece of metal the size of the hole and drive the tumbler from the hammer. When I bend a hammer I usually place the bottom end in a good solid vise and use a large crescent wrench to slightly bend it. I won't take much bending and there is always the chance of it snapping off. I haven't had one break but I know of others who have. Remember you only have to bend the hammer about a sixteenth of an inch. Another mend is to enlarge the cup in the hammer with a small grinding burr on the side that hits the nipple if you think there is enough metal there. Again you are usually talking about a small amount of metal.Good luck.

Back