• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap And Ball Revolvers For Personal Protection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with what my dad told me. He said son, if someone breaks into your home, they have to realize that a big price could be paid in short order!

Someone tried to break into my best friends house on the same street two nights ago :curse:

I like my Remmie for intimidation and my Glock for assurance.
Also, could someone educate me as to who the Morro warriors were and where they were from? I've googled them to no avail. :thanks:

The morros were a large band of cult/guerilla warriors that the United States was fighting with for control of the Philipines. When the morro war started the us was using the new 38 colt pistols. The 38s had no stopping power on the drugged up natives so a large number of Indian war era .45 colt revolvers were issued to the troops. Suddenly american troops were able to kill large numbers of morros. But in the last few months of the war the government adopted teh Colt 1911 in .45 acp and issued them. Because it was the official government issue pistol when the war ended, it was given the credit for "stopping the morros dead".

Pscyhological tests have been done over the years. And a few un surprising things were discovered:

-people associate size of the weapon with how powerful the weapon is, subjects thought a 8 inch barreled .38 special was extremely powerful, while a .44 magnum snub nose was considered anemic when put side to side.

-People were more easily intimidated by a barrel with a large bore (little silver ring of barrel surrounding a huge black gaping hole of a bore).

-A large number of people have survived 8 rounds of 9mm fmj to the chest and abdominal regions long enough to kill/seriously injure the person who shot them.

-Tests concluded a double action revolver was the best weapon for the average shooter for self defense as the dbl action revolver is merely pointed at the attackers chest and the trigger pulled. The system of safeties on semi-automatic pistols was found to be a detriment to most average shooters as the buttons are easily confused when under an adreneline attack.

If a criminal wants to enter your home, and he has half a brain, he will.

:agree: That's why I suggested some options to augment the gun as a defense not replace it. In most cases however the efforts you make to increase the difficulty for an intruder will encourage the professionals or smart amateurs to try their luck elsewhere.

I look at door locks and security systems in the same way I do safeties on firearms; they are man-made mechanical devices that will eventually fail.

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, but merely to point out that in addition to a firearm for home defense there are many other items that can be combined for an effective home defense system. Locks, motion sensors, alarms, guard dogs, and firearms are all obstacles that can be overcome, but the more obstacles you put in an intruders way the better for you. Most of these guys want to get in and out quickly and do as little as possible to get your valuables.

Unfotunately these are general rules that apply to professional thieves not drug addicts who need a fix right now and not deranged sociopaths who just want to hurt people.

And if the sound of the pump shotgun chambering a round doesn't deter your adversary, he shouldn't hear the next loud noise you make.

You'll have more luck with the search if you use Moro.

Incidentally the Islamic Guerrillas who are currently waging war against the Fillipino Government is the same ethnic/religious group that we were fighting at the turn of the last century.

I like my Remmie for intimidation and my Glock for assurance.
Also, could someone educate me as to who the Morro warriors were and where they were from? I've googled them to no avail. :thanks:

Intimidation is a form of bluffing, and often a person is called on it.

If your Glock is .40 or better, rest assured, if 9mm, you're living on borrowed time. 9mm Parabellum is great for penetration and lousy on stopping power. I've read early Israeli forensic reports that talked of its ability to go straight through enemy soldiers, documented as pulling portions of bowels out through the exit wounds, but doing little to stop the forward motion of the attackers.

Actually its "Moro warriors", my mistake. :sorry: They are Islamic tribal warriors from the Phillippine Island of Mindanao.

From the time of the Spanish American War, also known as "The Philippine Insurrection" (US) or "The Philippine War of Independence" (Phillippines).

Igorot and Moro National Reemergence - Modern

Philippine-American War - 1899-1902

A decent movie with Gary Cooper is titled THE REAL GLORY! (1939)

Just :m2c:

Well the big barrel on the Remmie probably wont be seen in a dark house(if at night), but I'm sure nobody will miss the muzzle blast and report. And my Glock is a model 30 in 45 auto, so I'm well assured that side by side its a lethal combo. :imo:

And thanks for the info on the Morro/Moro warriors.

The only modern pistol I have in the house is a little .22 6 shot auto. I have no other pistols, and I gave my Remington 1100 to my nephew as he is at hunting age. The only guns I have a BP. I've never had any bad guy problems, but I've also considered loading one of my BP revolvers for home defense. It would be my Lyman .36 as I have conical hollow points for that pistol. The round ball was very effective in it's day, but the conical will give a bit more punch. I have full faith in my BP guns to perform when needed. I'm not worried at all about muzzle blast blinding me .... it's also blinding the bad guy and he has a nasty hole in him to boot. The other thing we keep in the bed room is one of those 2 million candle power rechargeable spotlights. Nothing like blinding someone with one of those, then thay can't see anything while you have more than enough light to aim. Currently, I can't afford to go out and buy a modern gun, so I'll have to depend on my BP pistols to do their part. If I do my job, they will do theirs ....
Ohio Rusty

Hello Mule Brain,
My choice would be a pair of 51's in the 5 1/2" barreled .44 cal. sheriff model. Not PC but my choice none the less. I have small hands and prefer the smaller grip of the 51's over the 1860's. :m2c: :grey:
pappydean

Following this post from the start made me think as I owned only muzzleloading revolvers and rifles.

Last week I went out and purchased a pump shotgun and a Ruger Service Six 3.5" barrel. This thread was not the only reason I purchased these weapons, but it didn't hurt any.

Oh, I also picked up another 44 Remington, can never have too many BP revolvers. Have my eye on a Baby Dragoon, we'll see.

Frank

This might get me jumped on, but....

I really beleive that you have a better chance getting struck by lightning than being the victim of a home invasion. However, I do also beleive alot depends on where you live.

If you have children, loaded guns of any sort in the house is a bad idea. And I don't care if they have been "trained" to leave them alone. Kids are curious by nature, and yes, they do alot of stuff that you DON'T know about. There is a GREAT chance that they WILL find them and play around with them.

If you must have a weapon for self defense, get the best that you can afford, and one that you can shoot accurately and have COMPLETE confidence in. No matter if it is a pistol, revolver or shotgun. If it does not work reliably, and you cannot shoot it, it is useless in time of crisis.

Many ask me why I carry an "Old timey" S&W J frame. Well, because I'm old timey, it works, and I know I can shoot it. God forbid I have to draw down on someone, but if I do, I MUST be sure.

This is a subject not to be taken lightly or foolhardy. Sorry for the soapbox, this comes from my experience in the Military, as a Game Warden, and as an Armorer for Law Enforcement.

Kind regards,

cap'n ball weapons have their disadvantages, but a couple comments on this thread made me think:

Black powder is a lifestyle or some of us. If you shoot on a daily basis with your antiquated weapon, you may actually be less effective with a Glock.

If black powder is all you have, the discussion is over. Be aware of the weapon's capabilities and act accordingly. If you're on a budget, but have the time to shoot a lot, the afforability of BP weapons and ammunition may enable you to achieve a high skill level faster.

I know a couple guys with Kimber .45's that are humorously unskilled while some of these cowboy action shooters would be lethal in a gun battle.

If something like this has already been posted, I apologize. But, still gotta' tell this one.

I was practicing at the local gunstore with my Remington '58. A guy comes in to the next booth and proceeds his shooting skills by shooting his mouth off about some real knockdown power...blah, blah, blah,... Then BLAMity,BLAMity,BLAMity....click.

GEEE..ZUS! The percussion in that room was shaking my eyeballs! I stepped back from between the dividers and yelled...WHAT the H#@L was that?! He showed me his S&W 50 cal. (Eagle?)pistol and proceeded his spiel about some real knockdown power with those...grains bullets and ...grains of powder...blah, blah, blah. As he continued yakking, I slowly turned my head to look at his target and.....he missed... every shot missed! Not even one hole in that human target at 10 yds!!!

I just shook my head, walked back to my spot and proceeded to put the next five shots in the black at 20 yds.

The point is; what you can shoot comfortably and confidently is all you need. They all cause pain/damage, shot placement is good gun control.

I absolutely agree. So many people I know try to spend their way to accuracy. Folks were debating caliber selection on another board and the question was raised, "Would you want to be backed up by the guy who spent $100 practicing with 9mm or $100 practicing with .357 SIG? The point was well taken by all. Shot placement is far more important than caliber. I know I would rather be missed by a .50AE than hit by a .32! I'd also be wary of the guy whose gun fires cheap ammo. Chances are he shoots alot.

At the range, I have yet to see a guy with a blackpowder firearm shoot poorly. On the other hand , it is commonplace to see guys with custom autos that can't shoot at all. Indeed, cap 'n ball has some disadvantages, but the CULTURE of blackpower shooters seems to encourage proper and regular practice.

It's actually sad to contmplate how many top of the line weapons are purchased by folks who will never be able to appreciate the quality or wring the performance out of them that they were designed for. I suppose this happens with the blackpowder set, but I haven't encountered it yet.

I absolutely agree. So many people I know try to spend their way to accuracy. Folks were debating caliber selection on another board and the question was raised, "Would you want to be backed up by the guy who spent $100 practicing with 9mm or $100 practicing with .357 SIG? The point was well taken by all. Shot placement is far more important than caliber. I know I would rather be missed by a .50AE than hit by a .32! I'd also be wary of the guy whose gun fires cheap ammo. Chances are he shoots alot.

At the range, I have yet to see a guy with a blackpowder firearm shoot poorly. On the other hand , it is commonplace to see guys with custom autos that can't shoot at all. Indeed, cap 'n ball has some disadvantages, but the CULTURE of blackpower shooters seems to encourage proper and regular practice.

It's actually sad to contmplate how many top of the line weapons are purchased by folks who will never be able to appreciate the quality or wring the performance out of them that they were designed for. I suppose this happens with the blackpowder set, but I haven't encountered it yet.

I am one of those guys thats shoots cheap ammo, and alot of it. I once impressed the bowling pin league guys with my fixed sight baretta 92 shooting plain old lead bullets. 5 bowling pins in 6 seconds with 5 shots. I was up against guys with $1,000 custom Kimbers and the like, laser sights, etc. Some of them are good shots, most have to dump 15 rounds to hit 5 bowling pins at 7 yards. It aint the gun, its the gunner. Like they told us in the Army.

I would think that after two shots in a dark house with a .44 remington or anything else that shoots black powder, you would be blind, deaf, and gasping for air. Hope you hit what you're shooting at! :m2c:

Give me a lemat, most peopel belive all revolvers have only 6 shots, while a lemat has 10. If they see you have a revolver they may think your empty after 6.

I know dumb argument but that's my 2 cents

Give me a lemat, most peopel belive all revolvers have only 6 shots, while a lemat has 10. If they see you have a revolver they may think your empty after 6.

I know dumb argument but that's my 2 cents

I doubt the person on the recieving end of the shots will be able to keep count, let alone count to six! :haha:

Give me a lemat.....(snip)....
let alone count to six! :haha:
Well, if you make the first LeMat shot from it's 20ga shotgun barrel, then counting to 2 might be tricky for anyone.
Jack

Back