• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap And Ball Revolvers For Personal Protection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CrackStock, you apparently didn't consider my qualifier to the comment
"Are black powder arms sufficient for self defense, Of course they are."
I'll post it again so you can reconsider what was really said and please don't quote out of context.
However; if you consider all the drawbacks that have been discussed and you truly want to provide adequate self defense for the family and self why depend on antiquated methods???

I believe that you are agreeing with me that black powder firearms can be used effectively for self defense and do not realize it. Did I recommend black powder as a first line of defense? NO I did not, I simply stated that black powder arms can be used but they have drawbacks which modern firearms do not have.

However, I strongly disagree with the above listed statement. ...Rocks killed people before arrows which killed people before guns...
Granted a rock can be used for self defense as can an arrow, but so can a club (ball bat, golf club). Again I state why use an antiquated weapon

If you are so dead set against using a black powder handgun why even recommend a particular antique model?
However, in the event that one persists in using and cap and ball for some reason I would opt for the 1858 Remington as I prefer the top strap for strength and the stability of the rear sight being mounted on the frame. Besides, I just like the old 58 best.

I believe the original question was asking about the use of a black powder handgun not a scattergun.

I have modern handguns of all kinds and C&B handguns of all kinds. I carry a 1858 with 45lc handloads in the 800-900 fps range in my R&D cyclinder. I also carry a 1860 colt snubnosed revolver as backup to that in blackpowder cyclinder. I've done lots of testing such as keep the gun in my car in the heat oof florida weather and turning the air on when i'm in the care to change climate. The 1860 is in a open holster and caps are exspodes to elements. Thae gun was loaded with 3f 777 and remm caps for month in the car. All caps fired and no problems. But I find black powder last longest in long term loading and carrying, I've had blackpowder Goex 3f in a gun for almost a year and all I made sure of was that I changed the caps every 3 months and never had a miss fire or a cap go off, but everybodys humitiy and mositure in there area isn't the same. Its all in finding out what works and for how long. I shoot at the range i'm a member at at lest once a week and I've been shooting cap and ball revolvers for 20 yrs. now but you must practice alot with any handgun you plan on using for personal defense. And also ways remember when everyones gun is empty the art of whooping ass still is king.

I personally sold my centerfires, because they were worth allot of money. I have a nine year old son, who is quite familiar with guns. I understand loaded guns lying around is not a wise choice. I also understand that an unloaded gun is just about worthless!

I would assume with intermittent firings, and having air conditioning would allow powder and caps to go off even over extended periods of time.

I think, at normal ranges/distances within the home a C&B revolver would be more than adequate for defense.

Interesting responses, but please no arguing ::

here is my thought for what its worth a new army ruger with 32 g 3 f 777 is the ticket have left mine loaded for 5-6 mounths and all chambers go bang every time make shure you clean cilender and nipples with alcahol and dry in oven load ball lube ontop of ball no wonder wad takes up room in cilender and will contaminate powder tight fiting caps a must i like remington your milage may vere you will have a big muzzel flash and it will be loud as hell thus it may confuse your aponent and hi will run aim keep your head about you donot hunt him if posable let him come to you thay will shake down every room lay on floor next to bead aim at door thay are expecting a shot from chest hight a 45 ball at 10 ft will make a mess i have seen deer shot with every thing you can imagin and a soft lead rb is verry efective and deer are far more resilant than crack heads so aim to kill that way you cant be seued and get out the 409 spray cleaner if sombody dosent think you can defend with a cap and ball thay are nuts is it the best weppon for the job no a 12g pump with no choke an 2shot is but i will bet my life that the c&b revolver and 1 aimed ball will get er done

I'm not comfortable with it for myself only because, I don't feel competent with them, however I do have 2 retired leo friends who do; one doesn't own anything but muzzleloaders and he has several c&b loaded as home defense/ nightstand guns and a sxs 12ga.The other buddy has a saa .45 by the bed and the rest are c&b revolvers and ml long guns, he's also a current police firearms trainer and part time detective, he routinely carries the SA .45 and a s&w snub .38 as a back up

A number of years ago, I heard that the folks in Missouri often used Cap and Ball guns for their current home defence because it was a legal way to get around some restrictive laws which apply to modern handguns in that state.

Is there any truth to what I had heard?
If you don't know of anyone in Missouri that uses C&B guns for home defense, are there any very restrictive pistol laws there that could drive folks to using a C&B? ::

"I'll post it again so you can reconsider what was really said and please don't quote out of context."

I seek no opportunity or permission from you, I got it the first time.

I simply used a few of your words to frame what I view as being the crux of the discussion because those words articulated it pretty well. If you want to take that personally, okay. Maybe I should have used someone else's words. Somone less touchy.

"I believe that you are agreeing with me that black powder firearms can be used effectively for self defense and do not realize it. Did I recommend black powder as a first line of defense? NO I did not, I simply stated that black powder arms can be used but they have drawbacks which modern firearms do not have."

I did not say that you recommended anything, but I guess that we do agree in spite of what I perceive as a contentious tone and content on your part.

"If you are so dead set against using a black powder handgun why even recommend a particular antique model?"

Because he asked for the best of the options and I do have an opinion on that matter. I said my piece and you seem to want to take me to task at every opportunity for some reason.

"believe the original question was asking about the use of a black powder handgun not a scattergun."

And I chose to include an outside-of-the-box answer which makes sense.

Just because someone starts a thread on the pistol forum does not mean that nothing else can be briefly mentioned. I think that in defending a house, a shotgun can be quite effective. (I have some experience in these matters.) I stand by the answers that I gave.

CS

It's your life, so I'm not slamming you........but if you feel the need for personal protection then why on earth would you do away with your centerfire handguns? If my family needs defending I'm not going to chance it with an inferior weapon.

It is possible that it may be illegal for someone to own modern weapons. I can think of some places you just cant have them. Someone may have made a mistake or two when they were younger (or older) and have the dreaded "felony" word attached to their name, preventing from owning modern firearms.

As far as I am concerned, if I had to use a C&B revolver for my families protection, I would chose a brace of Colt 1860's. I seem to shoot better with these. Also If I was going to rely on these weapons, I would do everything to ensure their reliability. Wax on the caps, grease on the end of the ball and I would shoot them at least once a month and thoroughly clean them before reloading them. :m2c:

I always have a brace of revolvers close at hand while at home.They are .44. Sometimes I dont unload em for a year on end.
I caught a PAIR of robbers 5 years ago. Pointed my .44 in their faces and they gave me no problem.....I walked them down the road to the nearby Police station.
I then wondered if they would have fired should I had need them. Went to the range and aall 12 shots fired upon command. The pistols had been kept dry and loaded fer at least 12 months......
if Bp is all ya got ...it will have to do....
I also keep a .45 1911 and 5 mags on hand, but that particular night the Bp revolvers were the close so that is what I picked up...they worked jest fine.....I am sure glad I did not have to shoot those fellers.

*** WV SCROUNGER *** :m2c:

<<<all 12 shots fired upon command>>>

All 12?
:what:

Maybe these were Remingtons and the hammer was down on the middle notches?

CS

I keep em completely loaded...all 6 in each cylinder, hammer rests inbetween the chambers....,my guns are a RODGERS & SPENCER and a Gunnison & Griswold., no inbetween cylinder pins, but the hammer rests inbetween the chambers non theless.....
I am the only one who handles em and there are no children. these guns are fully loaded. I dont rest the hammer on a cap....... I am not advising anyone else to practice this ....it is my procedure...mine only.

.....Good
maybe all this squabblin will stop now....HUH?
also gota make one more point...
when I carry a BP revolver at the range or in the woods..I only load 5 chambers and rest the hammer on the empty one..
....I treat my Home defense pistols differntly.
**** WV SCROUNGER ****

That thar is ma beloved little .36 Hoppes Shotgun hammer
pepperbox..... ya dont see many of em any more...vintage 70's.
a very unique little gun......
oh...while Iam at it...
that aint no plume in the right side of ma hat neither..
I got an arrow rack hanging back thar and it is the arrows ya see......
*** WV SCROUNGER ***

This question about self-defense with a cap and ball keeps coming up and frankly I don't know why. Sure they will kill people, I have seen it done (a murder earlier this year with a .36 Navy was the last one) However, unless you are a convicted felon and can only legally posses a cap and ball, it makes no sense to stake you life on what is obviously an inferior firearm when compared to a modern handgun. I love my cap and ball revolvers, shoot them when ever I get a chance, but for personal protection, I carry a Glock 17 .40, this is my duty weapon as a police officer. I instinctively know this weapon, train with it on a regular basis. It is reliable, you can drop it in a lake, fish it out of the muck and fire the entire mag. through it. I have been told you can even fire the thing under water. When it comes to that split second decision to draw and shoot when everything is hitting the fan (been there and it ain't no fun), you want a hand full of something you know well, know is 100% reliable, and can be quickly reloaded. Cap and ball revolvers don't fit this bill, they are a novelty and should not be considered a first choice self-defense weapon.

yep....thats right....but ...everyone has an opinion..
to some of us blackpowder is a lifestyle,,,,
to each is own.

*** WV SCROUNGER *** :m2c:

As I read the initial post, this isn't about cap & ball vs modern firearms.

It is- in a world where there are only cap & ball and muzzle-stuffers- What one of THESE do you think is best?

Just like if we were back in the 1860's!

Gol durn it! Just whan evaryone wer havin fun a talkin 'bout how thar glop are gud fur shuutin fish unner tha watar to!
Than summon had ta reed tha post un suggast we'uns answar tha kuestion. :)

Well, if I had to pick one, it would be my Rogers & Spencer .44 loaded with .454 dia balls, over 30 grains of Swiss FFFg (Nothin' but the finest for our friends, as Charles Bronson once said) in 5 of the 6 chambers.
The front of the round balls would be heavily greased and the RWS or CCI Magnum caps would be waxed to make the loads as water proof as possible.

Although I would rather use my .45ACP, I would not feel a bit helpless. ::

ZONIE, I agree with you! I jest love my Rodgers& Spencer,
They got all the power ya need...feel great in the hand,
great pointability , and accurate. Not an inferior weapon .

** WV SCROUNGER **

Back