• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap And Ball Revolvers For Personal Protection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have officialy done away with centerfire handguns. If you had your choice of a C&B revolver for personal/home protection what would it be?

The .44 1860 Army?
The .44 1858, and have extra loaded cylinders?
A pair of 1851 Navy's?
Colt .44 Walker?

Mule

Understand that my experience with C&B revolvers is less than one month. But I think I would have two Walkers in the bedroom and a few more strategically placed around the house. And a couple of the 44 caliber 1860 armies (each) for the wife and kids.

I would not plan to reload during a fight, I would have to fight with what I picked up, or fight on the move (always moving towards a stashed gun).

Hello Gentlemen.I have done away w/ my centre fire guns for personal defense aswell.I still have a few,I have given my wife a .38 snubnose and a pistol safe for those times when it is only she and my 8 yr old daughter.I have a Navy Arms 12 guage sxs loaded w/90 grns Goex 2f and buck and ball(.715&3-.350 balls).I back this up w/ my 3rd model dragoon and a Cold Steel Trailmaster bowie.Best regards,J.A.

It's your life, so I'm not slamming you........but if you feel the need for personal protection then why on earth would you do away with your centerfire handguns? If my family needs defending I'm not going to chance it with an inferior weapon.

I have officialy done away with centerfire handguns.

This is a very intriguing notion to me. I am curious as to what made you fellas choose to give up the centerfire guns?

Personally I'd probably go with a pair of '51 Navy's.

I gotta agree with ridge here, if you don't like autos fine, BUY A REVOLVER! There is always the chance that your powder could get wet, your cap fall off, or some other random issue that pops up with BP guns. Centerfire is superior, in 99% of cases.

Weird!
Having loaded guns laying around a house where there live kids. Planning for a masssive gunfight in Your home?
:shocking:
I would most certainly move somewhere this bizarre scenario don't have to take place.

I feel sick about this and sorry for You.
You must live in a warzone. :sorry:

cal .61

Mule brain,,the question remains,,are there children in your home? If there is it's probaly a bad idea to leave loaded c&b revolvers laying around even stashed up high where you think they can't get to. If you don't have any kids around then by all means do what you want. Me personally I've got kids,so if I've got an auto I don't keep a round in the chamber,safety on, revolver (empty but with a speed loader nearby).........as for using a cap and ball for self-defense ,home protection (great,better than nothing),,,personal carry, like in CHL (bad idea). If used for home protection and there's no kids around I'd have more than one,2 at the minimum, .44s , and have something else stashed elsewhere if you run out(like a shotgun)forget about a fast reload,,,,the guy talking about a pair of walkers sounds like more of a man than I am. 1860s would be more like it. Here's another idea I bet some of you never thought of, but you will if your house has ever been broke into and your stuff taken..........Which would you rather have stolen,, a $150 dollar 1851 Navy or a $1,000 dollar custom 1911? or a nice glock?? Keep something cheap for home protection like a .357 revolver (rossi or cheap Smith, there still out there.) That way if it does get stolen ,you haven't lost much. Keep your really nice stuff secure and hidden away. Don't kid yourself a cap and ball .44 will kill you just as dead as a hi-cap 9mm. Ask all the people that have been killed by them over the last 150 years.

This is a topic that has come up several times before. I am of two minds on the subject. Are C&B revolvers powerful enough to kill an attacker, sure. Would I rely on one for home defense, probably not. Caps can fall of and jam an action, powder can get damp, caps can fail etc. However, I do carry one when I hunt and fish. I don't look for or expect trouble but if it comes my way I have something more than a fishing pole to defend myself. I keep .38 special loaded with +P hollow point ammo tucked in a safe place for home defense. If I know I'm going into a bad neighborhood the .38 goes with me or my 9mm auto. Having said all this, a competantly loaded and maintained cap and ball revolver in .44 cal is nothing to sneeze at. The psychological effect of seeing a big hog leg would probably send most bad eggs running. Bottom line, if its all you got it beats a sharp stick.

Don

Statistics.Tactics.Legalities.Statistically here in the country it is unlikely I will have a breakin.If I do,everything is in the safe.If I am here, the statistics from the F.B.I. report home defense shootings average 2.3 shots fired so high capacity is unnecessary.Criminals don't know what I am shooting all they know is I am shooting.They will go to easier pickings.Soft lead and lower velocity protect family from over penetration and richochets while still remaining lethal.I will argue a CB gun produces a more septic wound aswell.I have shot into test medium and the dirty wonder wad always follows the ball into the wound channel for a ways.Tactics:Hardening the target.The usual,solid doors and door jambs,alarm system,exterior lighting,brush kept away from the house, 3 fully trained German Shephard dogs prowl my 3 acres.I just don't think a booger will sneak up on me or mine.If the said booger makes it over the fence,isn't shredded by the dogs,manages to get in the house my wife will take up a defensive position in the safe room w/ my daughter armed w/ a Chicom AKM-47s and her .38.I will take up a defensive position in the hall and wait for the sheriff.Should said booger come down the hall b4 the sheriff gets here the will have a surprise waiting.He will not make it past me,if he does well...another surprise is waiting.Legalities:Imagine how the media will portray me if I used the AK.Yeak,I'd have a fair trial,as if!But the media would be uninterested in my muzzleloaders and the jury would think " old west" not survivalist w/ an assult weapon.

My kids are 23 and 19, both female. Both have center-fire pistols in their bedrooms as we speak. When we have visitors with young ones the guns get locked away. If I was confined to C&B revolvers each kid would have two because I think the centerfires are more reliable.

Both my daughters are well-trained in the safe use and storage of guns. One of them shoots rifles better than I can, the other shoots anything better than I can.

I live in a peaceful neighborhood, if I felt it was dangerous I would move away. But I like my family to be ready. I could say more but I think this thread is about C&B revolvers, not self defense.

I have re-read all the posts and I think Mule Brain was speaking hypothetically (Is that true MB?). Certainly my response was hypothetical. Reality would depend on a lot of things, the laws, my neighborhood, conditions of civil unrest, presence of warring rebels or natives, lots of things. Living in a cabin in Kansas during the civil war would be different than living in Chicago during the 1920's or Chicago in 2005 or Warsaw in 1944. I guess it would depend on my occupation as well - If I was a farmer, a riverboat gambler, a stage driver... etc.

But today's reality is I keep a few revolvers around. If I was forced to replace them with C&B revolvers then I would double the number, because I think they are less reliable. So if the right number of self defense guns for your situation is zero then the right number of C&B revolvers is probably zero as well. If the right number for your situation is one centerfire revolver then I submit that the right number of C&B revolvers is "more than one."

I don't think this forum is open to arguing the legality/morality/wisdom of keeping arms for self defense. I think Mule Brain was raising the issue of "What would you do if only C&B revolvers were available?"

If I were to depend on a C&B revolver ,it would be the Ruger Old Army. It's actually .45cal. but some continue to address it as .44cal.Loaded with 35grns. of 3F and 230grn.solid conicals,not much will stand up to it.I can't re call ever haveing a misfire unless the cap was defective.The problem is the cost to keep more than one on hand gets pretty steep.Actually most any 44cal.C&B revolver is deadly at the close ranges in a home.Glad to hear that You don't leave too many loaded weapons laying around the house with small children present.If You are going to depend on black powder weapons for home defense,I'd suggest shooting,cleaning and reloading at least once a month.

i would not bet my bacon on a c&b revolver. sorry if i offend anybody but firearm technology has progressed. bp may be my hobby and sport, but for self defense i would use mr. s&w. :m2c:

I had forgotten the Ruger Old Army. Shame on me, as my centerfire defense gun is a Ruger .357. I guess I when I log into this forum I step back in time to the 1800's. I now think I would keep two Ruger Old Armies, instead of two Walkers.

Over a period of time there is going to be aproblem with mosture effecting the caps and or powder there for becoming unreliable my 2cents worth

I heard Wild Bill Hickock kept his two Colts loaded, but that each morning he fired them dry, cleaned them, and reloaded them. Three thoughts:

1) If this is true he always had fresh powder and caps.

2) If he aimed his shots he was getting ten practice rounds per day, more than most lawmen.

3) Once per day, predictably, he was unarmed! Unless he carried a rifle when he was shooting his pistols.

Without going into the issues around powder, caps and reloads, being a problem consider this:

If your going to depend on black powder firearm for home defense how are you going to deal with the muzzle flash blinding you if the house is dark. Personally, I prefer to maintian my night vision. Secondly, the smoke will block your vision if the house lights are on or the sun is up.
Either scenerio does not allow you follow up.

Are black powder arms sufficient for self defense, Of course they are. However; if you consider all the drawbacks that have been discussed and you truly want to provide adequate self defense for the family and self why depend on antiquated methods??? Would you take confederate money to the bank and expect to come out richer today??

"Are black powder arms sufficient for self defense, Of course they are."

I am a traditional ML shooter as almost anyone who knows me or has read what I write can attest. However, I strongly disagree with the above listed statement. Rocks killed people before arrows which killed people before guns...
They may all have served in their day, but they are poor substitutes now that we have vastly superior options. Oil or moisture fouling of caps and powder would be big concerns. Greater reliability, accuracy and performance are all considerations in selecting a defensive weapon beyond simple ammo capacity.

However, in the event that one persists in using and cap and ball for some reason I would opt for the 1858 Remington as I prefer the top strap for strength and the stability of the rear sight being mounted on the frame. Besides, I just like the old 58 best. As to extra cylinders, you must be sure that they are timed for the particular gun.

Actually, I might pass on the handgun or the spare cylinder and go for a double barrelled scattergun for home defense. It could be loaded with small shot that would be good for defense and not over penetrate walls which could endanger others within the house. Some testing and load development would be highly advised.

One might even go with one of these and an 1858 as a defensive system if one were froced to abandon the serious defensive weaponry for some reason.

Just a few thoughts...
CS

Back