• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't get barrel off Uberti Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased an Uberti .44 cal. Dragoon. It looks great and shoots even better. When I went to clean the gun I couldn't get the barrel off. I put the hammer on 1/2 cock and used the loading lever to push hard against the cylinder but it will not come off. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Did you remove the wedge completely from the firearm? If not, it can be hooked on one side of the cylinder pin if it's not out far enough.

Yes, I just pulled the wedge completely out and I still can't remove the barrel. I don't want to push any harder on the loading lever because I'm afraid to damage it.

Sounds like you need to soak it in the penetrating oil of your choice and then try again.

I bet you have a rust build up where the cylinder pin enters the barrel and maybe a bit where the two frame pins line up the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the barrel.

Good luck.

Yes, that is what I have been doing is trying to puch the barrel from the frame by pressing the loading lever on the space between the cylinder holes and it does not move at all.

Soak it in penetrating oil overnight and then apply heat to the barrel in the area of the cylinder pin.

Apply the loading lever as your doing and while applying the load give the side of the barrel some light taps with a mallet.

Between the mallet and the heat you should be able to get the barrel to break loose and come off.

when you day apply heat, are you talking about a blow drier or torch? If I use a torch will that not damage the finish of the gun?

Logan, I suggest you use a blow dryer as a heat source to preserve the finish. Also, put a piece of plastic or brass between the rammer and cylinder face to prevent marring the chamber mouths when trying to lever off the barrel. I use an old flat toothbrush handle for that myself.

Good luck.

I got it. I put some penetrating oil and hit the underneath of the barrel with a rubber mallet and it popped off.

Thanks everyone!!

what could of caused this to happen in the first place? Not cleaning it enough after shooting it or what?

Fishblade2 said:
what could of caused this to happen in the first place? Not cleaning it enough after shooting it or what?

Poor boil out after bluing could cause rust in the cyl pin hole.
Burrs on the pin or in the hole.

I would try tapping on the muzzle with a block of wood or plastic mallet after dosing it with penetrating oil this might set it back and let it move.
In any case it should not do this.
This said the barrel should have been pulled before you shot it for inspection if nothing else.
If its dirty pull the grips and wash it out with hot water. Sloshing held by the barrel, in a bucket of hot water a few times then the soaking it in WD40 to drive off the water. If shot with corrosive substitutes it cannot be allowed to set over night with the fouling in the gun it must be washed away with water. Change the water a time or two at least. The water will wash away the corrosive elements and the heat will dry it.
This is how the Army used to clean SAAs BTW. Hot water, then kerosene. Its in the field manual.
Putting ANY powder solvent or oil on the stuff simply activates it.

Blackpowder fouling can be oiled with the penetrating oil and it will keep a few days with no problem.

DO NOT run a patch down the barrel and into the cylinder. It may or may not come back out.

Dan

When I first got my Uberti Dragoon I had to pop the loading lever with the palm of my hand a couple of times before my barrel came off. Mine was just a good tight fit. I am not sure that I would use a mallet or hammer, just a little pop with your hand to loosen thing up. Be carefull, as too much preasure could damage the link pin (thingy)on your loading lever. Aslo placing something between the cylinder and loading ram is a good idea.

Even brand new, this can happen with C&B revolvers. It all depends on what the fitting process at the factory was. Sometimes the parts are forced when tolerances don't work out. The result can be a revolver that won't come apart. I have one that I bought new in the box from an individual. Then the chain store that sold it to him would not stand behind it because I didn't have the proof of purchase. Lesson learned.

Back