• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cannon project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought i'd show you guys my progress on my biggest cannon so far. I'll try to post more pics as i get farther if any one is interested. Its going to start out as a .50 cal just because thats the biggest i cast right now.
IMG_2835.jpg
[/img]
IMG_2836.jpg
[/img]

Today i borrowed a foot and a half long 3/8 drill bit and got my full length pilot hole drilled. Now i have to find a 1/2in or 31/64in (if i decide to ream to 1/2) bit and drill the barrel to final size. i wish i could do this at school on the big leblond but they frown upon making cannons at school so i have to make it on my SB 9c

does any one know a way i could put the trunnions in. braze, silver solder, stake? :idunno:

i wish i could do this at school on the big leblond but they frown upon making cannons at school
Cannon? That looks like a flower vase to me :wink:
Just to illustrate how times have changed...my brother used to lathe out pipes at school to make homemade fragmentation pipe grenades. He blew a 6 foot crater in the local golf course # 15 green and the ATF wasn't even called in :shocked2:

If i wouldn't have carved that ball out i could do it at school probably still could but I don't want to chance it.

Today I turned out the trunnions the knurled part is going into the cannon body and then it will be silver soldered in. And yesterday I made an extension for a 7/16 drill bit and drilled it out so right know its a .44
IMG_2838.jpg
[/img]

I have a question is your barrel material brass or bronze? the reason I ask is brass tends to get brittle and at some point may fail Bronze is the material you want to make cannons out of. Stay safe.

freekforge said:
this one is brass but i'll probably mostly shoot light blanks out of it

Light blanks are fine it will only get brittle slowly and and will only lightly break.

That is a ton of wall! Brass or bronze that is a massive amount of metal and I would not be too concerned about embrittlement. Maybe in 125 years.... :thumbsup:

Zoar said:
That is a ton of wall! Brass or bronze that is a massive amount of metal and I would not be too concerned about embrittlement. Maybe in 125 years.... :thumbsup:

You hope....

yeah i left the muzzle big so i can face it off when i am done using the muzzle as a center

I made my first Cannon in High School shop class when I was 15-16 years old. It had a one inch bore and I shot spark plugs rapped up with cloth to tight bore diameter. Propped the muzzle up on a block of wood and would shoot it on a frozen lake covered with a bit of snow so I could track it on my Honda 90.I ran shot gun powder down the barrel top to the touch hole so it would allow me to get away before it went off.It had a about a ten inch long bore. Still have it back on the farm in Michigan some where. :grin: MD

i think i made my first one when i was in 6th grade with dads help. it was made off brass and had a 5/16 bore. i did a lot of stupid things with that thing shot a couple of holes in the garage wall and did several other very dangerous things with it :shake: ... man that thing was FUN :haha:

Latest posts

Back