California black powder revolver laws

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Sam squanch

45 Cal.
Reaction score
If you get “ caught” with ANY gun in California, expect to have it confiscated until you can PROVE it is yours. I heard some courts make you take a gun safety class so you can get it back. Not sure if this is true, or rumor.

Woody Morgan

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Go for it Brother, not really my words. I think I got that from my older cousin Bobby when he moved out of kali. He also said "All the cowboys are gone" in kali. He was sad about it. Bobby was a real cowboy.
Plenty of them where I live in the southern Sierra. Real, honest to goodness ones.
I live adjacent to the largest contiguous piece of privately-held property in the US...Tejon Ranch. ~260,000 acres.

wm

Mad L

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you get “ caught” with ANY gun in California, expect to have it confiscated until you can PROVE it is yours. I heard some courts make you take a gun safety class so you can get it back. Not sure if this is true, or rumor.
As a pirate reenactor in California I carried short Dragoon everywhere at festival and even to diner or parties at bars after (never carried powder or ball unless at a range - powder only when exhibit shooting).
One time a couple of us headed off the festival grounds for lunch at Ports O Call in San Pedro. As we passed a couple cops one asked me "Do you have a permit for that?"
I simply (politely and with a smile) explained it was a "Replica flintlock and I carry no charge nor ball"....well, he looked at me suspicious and i just smiled (never pulling it from my belt) and he then nodded and we went out marry way.
Oh, I also had a cutlass at my side, a rigger's knife tucked in my belt and a boot knife.
....twas Grand to be a pirate!

I have also often carried my blunderbuss and passed many a law enforcement, but I dont think many often knew it was real and functional.

Best advice; dont act like a jerk, always smile, and always Always be polite and cooperative.

Oh, and we all took the Safty Course even thou not required...just in case...I also took the Calif Hunting course - just good practice

IROCZ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Plenty of them where I live in the southern Sierra. Real, honest to goodness ones.
I live adjacent to the largest contiguous piece of privately-held property in the US...Tejon Ranch. ~260,000 acres.

wm
Well that is good to hear, I met some fine gentleman from northern California who were patrol rifle instructors. Fine men. I'm glad to know America still has a foothold there! It's a shame that it is hard to exercise your constitutional rights in some states. Black powder always seemed a safe bet. Again, good luck to this young man on his trip.

BadDaditood

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I got a good laugh at your post! I hope you don't mind if I give your statement some extra play? LOL!
Many years ago Gallagher (the watermelon smasher) said:
“California is like a bowl of granola- what ain’t fruits and nuts is flakes”
As a native still stuck here …it’s still true

vintovka

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I will be astounded If CADOJ doesn't move on all BP this year. Now that CA Gov. has again invalidated the ouster vote process you can guess what may happen next.

Latest posts