• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Look for books to learn aboy Black Powder Revolvers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSAR15

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about black powder revolvers and in particular their functionality and mechanical aspects.

Can you recommend books which describe their internal firing mechanisms and how they are tunned and adjusted? Gunsmithing books?

Thanks

Jerry Kuhnhausen's books are the best. A Colt action is simple in its "number of parts" but deciphering "ills" and knowing "how's, why's and what to do's" isn't always intuitive.
I learned from Jim Martin. Mr. Martin supplied much of the information in Jerry's book. YouTube videos are mostly "how to's" on how to screw up SA's.
It doesn't take much to make an action "feel" good but it's another to "build in" a " life of the revolver" action. That doesn't happen in a couple of hours. After 13 yrs and many many developments it takes me 12 hrs start to finish on an open-top revolver - I can do two at a time.

20230807_074552.jpg

Mike

Thanks Mike.
I have his book on 30 Cal. Service Rifles.
I doubt I'll get into gunsmithing on Black Powder Rifles, but I sure need to better understand what the improvements are when I am told, and what could be wrong. Most of Cot Uberti pistols arrived with functional issues (3 out of 4).

If your replica is a Colt, the lock work on the percussion revolvers was carried forward into the cartridge era so any book on lock work for a SAA Colt peacemaker will work on a percussion gun. The only big deal is on a SAA you can look through the frame and see the bolt drop as you cock the hammer. On the percussion you need a feeler gauge to wiggle into the area to know when the bolt is dropping.
Very off the machining isn't ideal on the replicas. The hand wiggles around in the slot as it moved up and down but it is supposed to be a tight fit because the top of the hand pushes against the ratchet teeth but near the end of cocking the hammer the side of the hand takes over and a loose fit causes problems. In any event there are several good books around on the lock work.
The other major thing is full cock. Most people just yank back the hammer as far as possible but on a lot of replicas if you go very slow the gun can go into full cock with the cylinder not rotated far enough to lock up- you have to "keep on going" on the hammer to rotate it all the way to a lock up.
Yet another issue is poor milling. If you have any problem determine if it is with only one chamber (mark the chambers), if so- usually a burr on the ratchet teeth.

The only big deal is on a SAA you can look through the frame and see the bolt drop as you cock the hammer. On the percussion you need a feeler gauge to wiggle into the area to know when the bolt is dropping.

Well, the "timing mark" on an open-top is the left side of the hammer slot through the recoil shield. If you sight down the cylinder as if firing, the locking notch will be to the right of the sight line at lockup. The bolt drop should be heard with the notch just to the left of the sight line. ( you won't get that from a YouTube video).

Mike

But is that really any different than a book? What you are saying is if it’s printed its gospel but if on a video it may be wrong.

No sir. I'm wrong, Jim Martin is wrong Jerry Kuhnhausen is wrong. Watch all the YouTube videos, do all that they say, and when you're tired of trying this and that and replacing parts, go back to a BOOK that has in it what the FACTORY build and refurbishing teaches. But then again, what would a manufacturer know about its product?!!

I think it's best to learn from those with experience and actual knowledge such as Jim Martin who learned from the head of the Colt's Custom shop as to what makes a SAA action "bullet proof" rather than some yahoo with a video recorder showing you how he THINKS it supposed to go . . . good luck.
This is the actual basis as to why all of us aren't sitting around hammering out a wheel . . .

Mike

Last edited:
Where did your YouTubers learn what they're pushing? What gives them any credibility? I don't think I've ever heard any of them credit anybody.

Mike

If you do a search on Amazon for "Black Powder Revolver Books", you will find a wide assortment of books. The best ones are now long out of print. A couple of good books are available in an electronic copy for the Kindle E-Reader. Note: Some of the books are only available used. The "Black Powder Handgun" by Sam Fadala is a good book but it is certainly expensive. I believe it was written in 1981 and the contents are relevant today, but don't go looking for some of the suppliers referenced in the book.

Bookfinder.com is a search engine for new, used & antiquarian books. It will give more results than Amazon or ABE books.

Give 45D's mention of Kuhnhausen's Colt Single Action book a 2nd vote, high five, and thumbs up as a great book on Colt single action gunsmithing, wealth of knowledge and instruction. In fact all of the Kuhnhausen books on various manufacturer and models of handguns are great, the ones I have been a valuable source of information. Another great book while not as involved and totally specific as the Kuhnhausen book is 'Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West' by David Chicoine. While out of print, both the 1st and 2nd Editions can be found on online book sellers, Ebay, Classified gun forum sections, etc. They've gotten pricey pushing $70-100 a copy, but they contain alot of information about handgun, rifles, and shotguns of yesteryear. Info about history, cleaning, gunsmithing, etc. The 2nd Edition (the one showing the break top Smith) is listed as an "Expanded" Edition. Its the one I have, have never seen a 1st but from what I've read, the 2nd has alot more info between covers. Picked up mine as a ''two for deal' on another forum from a guy selling alot of his gun library, believe $30. Already had the other book in the deal but figured getting Chicoine's book was worth the cost. I did see one at a Antique Store several years ago for a less than Ebay type price, already had mine, should have snagged it up.

Attachments

• gunsmith old west guns chicoine 1st.jpg
    gunsmith old west guns chicoine 1st.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
  • Gunmithing guns, D. Chicione 2nd.jpg
    Gunmithing guns, D. Chicione 2nd.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In defense of Utube video's about gunsmithing, reloading, shooting, etc, there are some out there in cyber space put out by reputable, knowledgeable persons. Ya just have to separate the wheat from the chaff in viewing them. I've seen (mostly partially watched due to them being manure) alot posted by wanna-be's, self proclaimed gunsmiths, reloaders, shooters that give video's on Utube a bad name. These posters are either not up to the game not understanding what they're talking about and/or they get into a certain aspect of firearms and their use, think they've got it figured out and make a crappy ill-informed video. As 45D posted books are a time proven source of information, but IMO so are worthy videos posted by reputable posters. Especially true if there isn't a knowledgeable person that can show ya how to do in person.

When I got my first M1 Garand (30/06) and was going to reload for it, knowing reloading for them is a bit different than a bolt 30/06 (which I had several of and had reloaded for), I read as much as possible through magazines, books and internet info. Found one particular Utube video listed by the contributor as "How to load ammo for a M1 Garand". What a hoot. Think the guy was at his first time reloading anything, didn't have proper terminology for reloading equipment, stated a number of times when he was unsure how to do this or that, "Well it doesn't really matter I don't think", and stated once he was new to reloading. Some of the gunsmithing video's follow the same example of clowns just tearing into a firearm making mistakes and gaffs, real gun butchering at its finest. I've watched a number of videos by real gunsmiths/reloaders who know their trade, showing in detail and explanation how and what they're doing. Like I advised, "Ya have to separate the wheat from the chaff"!!!

Latest posts

Back