• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber for a dedicated target rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there a consensus concerning the ideal caliber for round ball target shooting, say primarily out to 50 yds? This would assume excellent barrels, etc.

I'm shooting a 50. Have used 45. Pretty much what you are comfortable with.

There are many factors that would figure into the response. Is this rifle dedicated to branch rest, off hand, over the log, or some other shooting disciplines?

Based on what you have provided, bang's response of shoot what feels comfortable is as good as I can suggest.

I shoot .54, because it's what I have. Caliber doesn't seem to matter much in the offhand matches I attend. The only exception being the occasional failure of .36 cal to knock over steel targets consistently. Fit and balance are much more important.

I use 45, 50 and 54 kinda randomly but mostly the 45. I like it the best as a match shooter because it s economical, less tiring to shoot and I can shoot pretty accurately with it.

That said, I think the most popular caliber among dedicated match shooters is 40.

I'll be interested to learn what others say. Most of my shooting for accuracy is with 50 caliber. For paper punching only, the Traditions Crockett in 32 is great but that little pill is more easily effected by wind and weather.

Jeff

I think it is hard to beat the .40 cal at 50 yards or less. I do favor a .54 cal most of the time however. Hard to beat any cal. rifle that you like to shoot, it shoots great and it fits you.

fleener

Is there a consensus concerning the ideal caliber for round ball target shooting, say primarily out to 50 yds? This would assume excellent barrels, etc.
I see the consensus for the ideal round ball target shooting rifle caliber is to determine the best fitting rifle for the discipline of target shooting you intend to pursue. The caliber will be whatever the caliber is for that rifle. Caliber is less important than matching the ball size to the barrel and twist along with a good patch and patch lubricant. After that it is having a consistent ball so that all the balls shot at target weigh the same. Then its a good volumetric powder measure that throws the same weight charge. Yes, you can weigh the powder on a scale and use that for target shooting. Of course, you need a good range rod to seat the ball on the powder charge with consistent pressure. The rod tip should match the curvature of the ball to prevent deforming the ball as the ball is loaded. Finally, its practice, practice, practice so the fit and all the components integrate to produce the ideal performance. Get Dutch Schoultz's Black Powder Accuracy System and heed the advice he has in his system.

40cal is in a sweet spot ballistically but if you have something you're comfortable with and can shoot well, stick with it.

Back