• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas NEW gun policy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago, I spoke to a woman over the phone who was working for Navy Arms. I was hoping to get some information from her/ their records about something I currently own. She was able to provide the information I was looking for, but it came through a retired employee.

At the end of our conversation, she told me Navy Arms had to turn over all of its records to ATF. That was why the retiree was important for the information I was interested in.

Wrong again Hawkeye the BATF has the right at any time for any reason to review the records to include the 4473 and required bound books for firearms (probably now computer generated data bases) transactions, I will not quibble with you over your bulls@@@ views, believe what you want. What do you think the F.B.I. uses the NICS system for, your discussing a national system that says if you can buy a gun or not that information just does not disappear after approval.
That would be a no. You can have a computer generated copy but must keep the hardbound books. I knew someone that lost his license over it. I thought it stupid at the time I heard it but after thinking, computer can be altered after the fact. Hardbound book cannot without obvious changes to it.

That would be a no. You can have a computer generated copy but must keep the hardbound books. I knew someone that lost his license over it. I thought it stupid at the time I heard it but after thinking, computer can be altered after the fact. Hardbound book cannot without obvious changes to it.
If the retailer is using an ATF-approved software you do not have to maintain the hardcopy books. The ATF wouldn't allow you to create/maintain your own electronic method (simple spreadsheet for example) but there are software products out there built to satisfy the ATF and specifically usurp the need to keep the hardcopy records. Cabelas has had a system for many years.

ATF DOES NOT REQUIRE 4473, no where in ATF rules does it state that BP has to have 4473 or a phone check, it does state that BP is exempted . Cabela's paper work is for their records ONLY As a dealer someone is blowing smoke Cabela's in Ct only requires one to fill out their paper work for their records of sale. AS one said if one does not like what one dealer wants go to another , there are a lot BP dealers out there.:doh:

Last edited:
Easy solution...... if that bothers you, don’t buy from Cabelas. Plenty other places out there.

+1

Once upon a time, I spotted a C&B revolver @ Cabela's, at a good price - so I ordered one online.

Cabela's told me that the C&B revolver was banned in my state (it wasn't/isn't), and they would not ship it.

I bought the identical revolver online from a competitor of Cabela's for $10 more - worth it, considering there was no BS involved.

I haven't done ANY business with Cabela's since.

ATF DOES NOT REQUIRE 4473, no where in ATF rules does it state that BP has to have 4473 or a phone check, it does state that BP is exempted . Cabela's paper work is for their records ONLY As a dealer someone is blowing smoke Cabela's in Ct only requires one to fill out their paper work for their records of sale.

Exactly.

The reason for this stufff:

1. Cabela's sold a black powder revolver to a career criminal in Ohio.

2. The criminal killed a person with that black powder revolver.

3. Cabela's was sued.

Don't blame Cabela's, blame the sorry prosecutor and judges who failed to lock this scumbag up for his previous c riminal convictions.

"In its article, The Columbus Dispatch explains that Claren has quite the rap sheet. In 2001, he was convicted of felonious assault, a conviction that should have prevented him from purchasing or possessing a firearm. Almost three decades ago, Claren also broke the arm of a mayor after a traffic stop and "was accused of strangling a patient while working at a psychiatric hospital."

Though the court acquitted Claren, the hospital fired him--and he wasn't happy.

"Claren shot out the windows of the homes of the hospital’s CEO and prosecuting attorney, targeting the rooms of their children," The Dispatch writes. "While in jail for those charges, he threatened to kill the judge that presided over the case."

So why did Cabela's sell Claren the firearm, despite his criminal record and violent past? It appears the retailer made the sale because it complied with federal law rather than Ohio state law."

Cabela's Faces Lawsuit After Man Who Purchased Antique Firearm Committed Murder (townhall.com)

Cabela's has taken action to protect themselves from similar lawsuits in the future. That form 4473 Cabela's has the buyer sign has nothing to do with the BATFE, Joe Biden or anyone else.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Biden is not thinking about serious gun control measures either has their head in the sand is in complete denial, or just doesn't care because you think he is not interested in your muzzleloader (trust me, he is).

Antique firearms, and C&R licenses are being looked at. It is all tied into the "expanded or universal" background checks.

The left is emboldened like never before. Look how much damage they have already done just with the disaster at the Southern border.

Why do you think they are pushing the "Asian Hate Crime" narrative over the recent Atlanta shootings, even though the killer and the local police stated it was due to his addition?

As to Cabelas, they tanked with the Bass Pro merger.

Last edited:
Wrong again Hawkeye the BATF has the right at any time for any reason to review the records to include the 4473 and required bound books for firearms (probably now computer generated data bases) transactions, I will not quibble with you over your bulls@@@ views, believe what you want. What do you think the F.B.I. uses the NICS system for, your discussing a national system that says if you can buy a gun or not that information just does not disappear after approval.
More jiberish & half truths to support your Kool-Aid drinking conspiracy theories. Must be a miserable world you live in with all the threats you are constantly repelling. Come out of your cave & live in reality my friend. Life is to short. BTW, get off social media, it's bad for your mental health.

I feel like we're devolving into Rule 14 territory here...

While I'm not thrilled about Cabela's policy, I understand the reasoning behind it. We are living in "interesting times" for sure. 🤷‍♂️

Hawkeye, live and learn in your fantasy world. I feel sorry for idiots such as your self as when the boom falls you will be as lets say chicken little.

FWIW, some of the most frequently cited violations during an ATF FFL compliance inspection are:

Transferee did not properly complete Section A, F 4473-27 CFR 124 (c)(1)

Licensee did not record on F 4473 the date on which NICS was contacted - 27 CFR 478.124 (c)(3)(iv)

Licensee did not sign and date F 4473 - 27 CFR 478.124 (c)(5)

Licensee failed to properly identify firearm on F 4473 - 27 CFR 124 (c)(4)

It would appear, that during a compliance inspection the ATF looks at and examines 4473's.

All this and more can be found on the official ATF website.

No one is turning "the purchase" over to the ATF because that is against the law. The government doesn't have a list of the firearms any individual owns.
Nothing digital ever really goes away.
WHO has a history of forearms purchases can be just as useful to people who want to know.

These are standard policies for any conventional firearm. It seems Cabelas has decided not to differentiate between black powder ( no FFL required) and conventional firearms.
Easy solution...... if that bothers you, don’t buy from Cabelas. Plenty other places out there.
You don’t think the others will follow suit eventually, under pressure from their insurance company, freight carriers, and credit card companies?
Activists in the private sector that run the largest companies are the biggest threat now.

Think about that for a bit and let it sink in.

Last edited:
ATF DOES NOT REQUIRE 4473, no where in ATF rules does it state that BP has to have 4473 or a phone check, it does state that BP is exempted . Cabela's paper work is for their records ONLY As a dealer someone is blowing smoke Cabela's in Ct only requires one to fill out their paper work for their records of sale. AS one said if one does not like what one dealer wants go to another , there are a lot BP dealers out there.:doh:
Why does Cabelas need to have a record of WHO bought the gun?
For tax purposes all that matters if if it sold or if it is still in inventory.

Just because ATF does not require a 4473 to be filed out, there is nothing to stop a retailer from upping the requirements. I expect nearly all dealers to adopt the same policy pretty soon to stay in the good graces of people who could shut them down.

Back