• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas NEW gun policy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure we can agree that this will make a very interesting test case in the future.

You can LIE all you want on a fake form made up by cabelas. But you can’t lie on the official ATF form 4473, as presented by a gun seller . Any “form” that is not a official government one is not valid.

No, you cannot. I mean you could but then all the liability is shifted onto you, both legal and civil.
Thinking, advising, or doing so, puts all of our gun rights at risk and makes the argument for gun control advocates.

I agree. BUT.... is the form you fill out to buy a muzzleloading gun at cabelas a variant of the official 4473, sent out by the ATF? Is cabelas doing call in background checks on the muzzleloading guns being sold?

And no, I don’t advise breaking any laws. Just playing devils advocate. Any felon can lie on the cabelas form and get away with it when you think about it.

If lying is illegal, why so many used car dealerships.....

Well, now there you have the seller lying not the buyer, but it is wrong(illegal) for car dealers to lie, Unless you been a car dealer you'd probably have no idea of the legal maneuvering they go through to avoid being caught in lies.
They are such prevalent liars that they are required to be bonded in most states.
Imagine if gun dealers had to be bonded. See what kind of fire you are playing with advocating lying ?

I agree. BUT.... is the form you fill out to buy a muzzleloading gun at cabelas a variant of the official 4473, sent out by the ATF? Is cabelas doing call in background checks on the muzzleloading guns being sold?

It doesn't matter.
Why would you lie on a form, any form?
If the truth isn't good enough to clear you for purchase, then a lie surely isn't.

I see this kind of thinking in criminals all the time, looking for ways to subvert the law. To justify their actions. Rather than figuring out how to comply with the law they look for ways to get around it.
Learn to cook and you'll stop craving that prison food.

Is cabelas doing call in background checks on the muzzleloading guns being sold?
[/QUOTE]

No. Cabela's hangs onto the forms. In the event someone buys a black powder gun and uses it to commit a serious crime, Cabela's butt is covered. Cabela's has the form the buyer filled out and signed.

I thought I read and was told many years ago when the 4473 was incepted that the form was to be maintained by the business doing the selling for 30 years, and if the business closed the forms were to be sent somewhere, but I can't remember where they were to be sent.
The records have to be sent to a repository in VA within a specified time after quitting your FFL business. Turned mine in when Barry got elected

Does anyone know how this new policy for black powder firearms works? They claim it's just for their records.
Cabelas attempted to try that up here in Canukastan, but it seems that it was backfiring on them. Now with the new gun grab happening from Ottawa, Cabelas is getting their orders from Minister for public safety, Bill Blair. It looks like that horrid long gun registry is going to be brought back in.. Many millions more dollars spent uselessly. The feds dont know who has what and I'm sure that there will be massive disobedience in the western provinces. The hatred for our idiot prime minister is very tangible.

By the way my trapshooting lawyer buddy says cabelas has to follow STATE laws on selling muzzleloading guns, but any forms generated by cabelas are not legally binding, they are not a government.
That may be true, but I would imagine Cabelas is using the forms as another way show good faith ( cover their butt) in civil lawsuits.

Cabelas attempted to try that up here in Canukastan, but it seems that it was backfiring on them. Now with the new gun grab happening from Ottawa, Cabelas is getting their orders from Minister for public safety, Bill Blair. It looks like that horrid long gun registry is going to be brought back in.. Many millions more dollars spent uselessly. The feds dont know who has what and I'm sure that there will be massive disobedience in the western provinces. The hatred for our idiot prime minister is very tangible.

Canadians / Massive Disobedience?
I’ll believe That when I see it.

Back