• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buyer beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadb6942

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a .56 caliber smoothbore from the internet. Guy has a good rating. Well i dropped the ramrod down the barrel and yup it was charged. Thankfully it was a .550 patched roundball that was a mofo to get out. Broke the wooden ramrod trying.
fyi if you cut the head off a wood screw it will screw into a easton aluminum arrow for a ball puller.

???? -- sorry I don't understand what you are trying to say :confused: .

I hope you let him know. Every time I handle a ML at a gun show or shop, I drop the ramrod down bore, even though I'm told it's unloaded. Same as checking a modern gun to he sure it's clear.

Just putting it out there that even a reputable shop can screw up so always check when you buy something..

RedFeather said:
I hope you let him know. Every time I handle a ML at a gun show or shop, I drop the ramrod down bore, even though I'm told it's unloaded. Same as checking a modern gun to he sure it's clear.
Even if I watch someone clear a weapon before handing it to me I still clear it myself.....

Amen to that! A police officer in neighboring town lost 2 fingers that way.Guy in a gun shop cleared a 380 handed it to him,and told him it was okay to check out the trigger.Cop should of known better!HUGE lawsuit :idunno:

Several years ago I bought a Investarms .58 rifle off a fellow on Gunbrokers. Once i received the gun I checked it and found not just one, but two complete powder charges and conical bullets in the bore. I fired off an e-mail to the fellow to let him know the gun was loaded when received. He said he never checked. I guess you can't trust anyone except yourself when it comes to firearms.

I don't know what the big deal is? It wasn't capped! I have bought many since 1972 that were loaded, just a little more work. Don't use an aluminum arrow to pull balls, this could just compound your problem! You were lucky. Buy a steel range rod.
Nit Wit

nhmoose said:
Meant for cad

After years of being a dealer I expect every ML to have a charge in it. Much safer that way. Get used to it nothing new there.
+1 :thumbsup:

Looked at an 1851 at a gun show a few years back. All six chambers were loaded (powder and ball, no percussion caps). Asked the vendor what he knew about the gun (before letting him know it was loaded). He assured me he had personally checked out and fired the gun. In his words it was remarkably accurate. Inquired about details of his cleaning procedure. It was quite elaborate. Long story short, after pointing out it was loaded, he sold it to me in a state of panic - the pistol and an extra cylinder (not loaded) - for 25% of his original asking price. Made me promise not to tell anyone at the show (he ran a big pawn shop and gun store in town). I was quite pleased with deal. Immediately put pistol (now separated from the old loaded cylinder) in my truck before continuing to walk around the gun show.

Never bought one loaded first one.. I tried my range rod and it woudnt budge.. rather than break a 30 dollar rod i tried the arrow..

fyi if you cut the head off a wood screw it will screw into a easton aluminum arrow for a ball puller.

That's a cool "tip" (HA no pun intended) but with my luck it will be in a 42" or longer barrel, and they don't make 42" aluminum arrow shafts do they??? :shocked2: Still, knowing that the shaft insert will work (I just have to mount it on something) means I have an additional emergency solution to draw upon. Thanks.

Too often the case with BP firearms. Too many folks with modern firearms think old fashioned = not dangerous. :shake: :nono:

LD

SDSmlf said:
Looked at an 1851 at a gun show a few years back. All six chambers were loaded (powder and ball, no percussion caps)...

Long story short, after pointing out it was loaded, he sold it to me in a state of panic - the pistol and an extra cylinder (not loaded) - for 25% of his original asking price. Made me promise not to tell anyone at the show (he ran a big pawn shop and gun store in town).

Moral of the story is check every muzzle loader to make sure there isn't a powder charge. And if there make sure the seller knows about it and you can get a great deal in the process :haha:

Couldt find my damn ball puller and i live in bfe so no local gun stores.. did what i could.. was too cold to fire up the compressor.. the co2 ball ejector is on my list.. 42" arrow would br a 41 inch draw.. doing the math would yield a 8'6" tall fella

For stuck balls, I suggest putting a little powder under the nipple or worked thru a flintlocks vent hole and shooting the ball out.

In this case though, I totally agree with not shooting the ball out.

I had a similar incident where I bought a used muzzleloader and when I got home I found that it was loaded.

I also pulled the ball and then worked the powder out.

It was high power rifle smokeless powder.
No telling how much of me would have been left if I tried shooting out that ball. :(

It's not uncommon to find muzzle loading guns sold with charges still in them. I purchased a T/C Renegade several years ago for the giveaway price of $100.00. It was in great condition. Found it was loaded after bringing it home. Took two caps to set off the charge in a back pasture. Also bought a Navy Arms (Pedersoli) 12 ga side x side. It, too was found to be loaded. I quickly learned my lesson when buying used front loaders. ALWAYS check before storing the guns away.

Zonie said:
For stuck balls, I suggest putting a little powder under the nipple or worked thru a flintlocks vent hole and shooting the ball out.

In this case though, I totally agree with not shooting the ball out.

I had a similar incident where I bought a used muzzleloader and when I got home I found that it was loaded.

I also pulled the ball and then worked the powder out.

It was high power rifle smokeless powder.
No telling how much of me would have been left if I tried shooting out that ball. :(

:shocked2: They still making that stuff?

YA LUCKY you didnt. The post below yours was luckier. Good thing I don't reload or I could have some of that around :shake: the way my minds been lately I can see what would become of me.

azmntman said:
:shocked2: They still making that stuff?

Yup.

For those who don't reload and don't know what smokeless powder looks like it comes in several different shapes and colors.

It can be gray to dark black and it often is in small flat flakes (usually shotgun or pistol powder) or, many rifle powders can be in small cylinders.

These small cylinders look like fine black or gray wire that has been cut into short lengths.

With the advent of some of the synthetic powders a few of them can look like smokeless powder so if in doubt, assume the worst and assume it is smokeless powder.

Never fire a muzzleloader with an unknown powder in it.

Back