• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buyer beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:ff But just saw a video where a guy pulled a blow to hell ar15 out of a box.. He bought reload ammo in a baggy off a vendor.. Turns out was ball pistol ammo and alot of it.. Crazy how careless ppl are with something that can kill your or the guy around you.. In my case with the charge in the gun im sure he could of got in some manure for mailing it with powder in it..

I've inherited old reloads and had some come with rifles I've bought. I won't shoot them since I can't be positive of what's in them. Same with a loaded ML. Best to pull the load than take a chance. You don't know who loaded it, how careful, experienced or sober they were.

I do know that there is a God. There would have to be because I'm still alive today! When I was young and dumb, and in my case young and extremely stupid! I use to do extremely stupid, dangerous things with the old man's BP and reloading supplies. That's all I'm gonna say because I'd be to embarrassed to even make mention of such things! :haha:

Anyway, I'm grateful to have my life and limbs!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Cowboy said:
I do know that there is a God. There would have to be because I'm still alive today! When I was young and dumb, and in my case young and extremely stupid! I use to do extremely stupid, dangerous things with the old man's BP and reloading supplies. That's all I'm gonna say because I'd be to embarrassed to even make mention of such things! :haha:

Anyway, I'm grateful to have my life and limbs!

Respectfully, Cowboy
Me too, along with my brother. For years there was a crater the size of a VW across from my parents house, where a cherry bush used to be. :idunno:

cad said:
Bought a .56 caliber smoothbore from the internet. Guy has a good rating. Well i dropped the ramrod down the barrel and yup it was charged. Thankfully it was a .550 patched roundball that was a mofo to get out. Broke the wooden ramrod trying.
fyi if you cut the head off a wood screw it will screw into a easton aluminum arrow for a ball puller.
Back to the original post. I bought one from the local pawn shop that appeared to be loaded. What a surprise when I got it home. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/290886/post/1427756/hl//fromsearch/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back someone on a local forum sold a muzzleloader that he got from a relative that was loaded, wasn't sure with what or by who, after trying for a bit to unload it, he became irate and put it up for sale at $50, someone jumped on it (I was too late), he later posted that he had to unscrew the nipple and found the proper thread zert fitting, proceeded to use a grease gun to push the load out.
He cleaned it up and had a working rifle in about 20 min work time, said he tried air pressure and a worm jag but nothing worked until the zert went in.

I travelled to Kansas City from SW Iowa once to purchase 3 BP rifles and was surprised to find out that one was loaded. It was an Invest Arms Hawken and the nipple was missing. That should have been my first clue that something was a muck. I couldn't simply pull the load. Wedged in there way too long and too tight. This was the sellers deceased Grandpas rifle and unknown to him was this problem. I then tried using compressed air. That didn't work. I took the barrel to a local hardware store that had a service department. Tried the grease zerk trick. That didn't work either and grease escaped around the nipple threads. ( the threads were in fine shape) the service guy and I worked for an hour and a half getting out half the load. I then took it home and worked again for a lengthy time getting the rest of the load out. Now with a new nipple it is a fun gun to shoot! Whew!! Greg. :)

Critter Getter said:
Tried the grease zerk trick. ..... and grease escaped around the nipple threads. ( the threads were in fine shape)

If the threads were in fine shape and you were getting grease escaping around them, you had the wrong size zerk fitting. A zerk fitting with the correct size threads put in a hole having threads in fine condition should never have grease escaping around the threads.

That was my thought as well but the nipple fit and tightned every bit as good as any new barrel and nipple I have had. Was surprised to see the load ( which I am guessing had been in there since the beginning of time) was in so tight that the electric grease gun couldn't budge it. Oh well, after a lot of work.......it ended up all good. This gun was a Richland Arms gun made by Investarms. Greg. :)

There is a metric thread that is very close to the standard 1/4 X 28 that most nipples have. I ran into that once when buying nipples in bulk at Friendship. Someone had dropped a metric nipple in the bin with the 1/4 X 28 nipples. It screwed in and felt snug just like it was a 1/4 X 28 but it blew out after about 25 or so shots. No damage to me nor the rifle but it was one heck of a surprise for everyone nearby. :doh:

ky choctaw said:
Amen to that! A police officer in neighboring town lost 2 fingers that way.Guy in a gun shop cleared a 380 handed it to him,and told him it was okay to check out the trigger.Cop should of known better!HUGE lawsuit :idunno:

Cop should have been smart enough to NOT have his hand in front of the muzzle.

I have purchased four or five muzzle loaders that had loads in them. One double barrel had three loads in one barrel. One load with large irregularly cut pieces of lead loaded. Looked like some body used an axe to chop up fishing sinkers.

Bought a CVA Bobcat off a guy. Brought it home and cleaned it up and even snapped a couple Caps off in it. Loaded it up and put up a target and it would not go off. So, pulled the Nipple out and stuck some 4F in it and screwed the Nipple back in and touched it off, the dang thing almost spun me around !!! Looked at the target and there was a roundball hole and a sideways conical hole in it !!! Very surprised the Bobcat didn`t come apart. Learned my lesson with that lesson !!!

I always drop the ramrod down the bore of a muzzleloader when checking out a previously owned one. So far I've not found one that was loaded, but I don't want a surprise.

I just see if the rod goes to the drum or touch hole or to the breech plug if the gun has a patent type breech.

Latest posts

Back