• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burning Embers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's got me thinking, is it truly a low oxygen environment? Is all the oxygen from the breakdown of the Saltpeter consumed in the combustion process? If so why would an ember continue to glow? The old Science class test for oxygen with a glowing splint and seeing if flares up or grows brighter when stuck in a smoky bore would be an interesting test. Perhaps the jet of gas blasting out of the muzzle leaves behind a low pressure condition that the atmosphere rushes in to fill and thus sustains the ember? YMMV
Interesting idea. The manual of arms for loading artillery would seem to support my position cause the barrel is nearly horizontal during reloading and it is stressed that the thumbstall must remain on the vent until the pick and prime part. Otherwise the piston action of worming, sponging and ramming might bring an ember to life.

I only shoot PRB's. I've been using my method for 40 years with zero problems.

Hey, what works for you and I wish you another 40 years of trouble free shooting. :) Circumstances are a little different shooting minies as fast as we do in the N-SSA and what dave951 says holds true there.

I only shoot PRB's. I've been using my method for 40 years with zero problems.

We shoot different arms in N-SSA competition. The minie bullet was about the last word in military muzzleloading arms. From there, the next step is into suppository guns. The PRB and minie are worlds apart in technique, usage and rate of fire and as such, we in the traditional muzzleloading community should support each other's flavor. There is a reason the NMLRA was headed for the end of the trail not so long ago. Let's not go down that path again

We shoot different arms in N-SSA competition. The minie bullet was about the last word in military muzzleloading arms. From there, the next step is into suppository guns. The PRB and minie are worlds apart in technique, usage and rate of fire and as such, we in the traditional muzzleloading community should support each other's flavor. There is a reason the NMLRA was headed for the end of the trail not so long ago. Let's not go down that path again

Yes, I do support you and what you do. I was just telling you what I do. I'm just a hunter and love using the PRB on elk, bear. and muley's. Although i've gotten too old to haul out the elk meat. So, i'm content with bear and mule deer. I use bear grease for patch lube and Goex 2F. Not the best combo for getting more than one shot without swabbing but I don't mind swabbing.

Hey, what works for you and I wish you another 40 years of trouble free shooting. :) Circumstances are a little different shooting minies as fast as we do in the N-SSA and what dave951 says holds true there.

That would be nice but it would make me 118 years old. ;)

Can the argument be made that blowing in the bore does introduce oxygen but it makes any smoldering ember consume itself quicker rendering it safer than if the smoldering ember was left in the oxygen deficient environment?

I am no authority on this subject just asking the question as I could see that cutting either way.

Can the argument be made that blowing in the bore does introduce oxygen but it makes any smoldering ember consume itself quicker rendering it safer than if the smoldering ember was left in the oxygen deficient environment?

I am no authority on this subject just asking the question as I could see that cutting either way.

I've wondered this myself. After a quick search it appears human breath contains around 15-16% oxygen. I was taught to blow down the bore after each shot, and that's what I did up until about ten years ago. Now I just leave the spent primer on, pour the powder, and drive the projectile down the bore.

I've wondered this myself. After a quick search it appears human breath contains around 15-16% oxygen. I was taught to blow down the bore after each shot, and that's what I did up until about ten years ago. Now I just leave the spent primer on, pour the powder, and drive the projectile down the bore.
That sounds very much like what we do in N-SSA competition

Everything you can do with blowing down the barrel can be done with a damp patch on the range rod. The damp patch softens the fouling and the fit of the patch to the bore will blow a satisfying plume of smoke out through the nipple or touch hole. On the way out, the patch will bunch up and remove some of the crust at the breech and pull a lot of fouling from the the barrel.

That's why I blow down the barrel. I know, I know, but I do it.
at most gun clubs if you are caught blowing down a gun barrel after a shot you will be expelled for doing it! gee I wonder why??

To help explain how N-SSA skirmishers shoot their muskets with minie balls, or at least when I was a member decades ago, we would use a tube, cardboard or plastic to hold both the powder and the minie. The minie was removed and the powder poured into the barrel from the tube, which was NOT inserted into the barrel. It was just dropped to the ground. The minie was inserted and rammed down. Cap, aim and shoot. I saw one shooter from a PA unit who was tall and using a Zouve, shoot 7-8 rounds a minute. His arms were so long and the musket barrel short enough he could ram the minie home with one stroke. Never put the tube or if you use some paper down the barrel with a minie.

IMG-2017.jpg

IMG-2018.jpg
the MINNIE inserted in upside down, I never knew that? thank you for the pictures of the complete load.

I long ago discovered that these old guns only fire one time and then you have to reload. Yep, I blow a puff down after each shot.
just DARWINS THEORY, of selection. ever think he had it spot on?

what a great EPITAPH?

Cmon! I've been blowing down the barrel for 40 years. I don't know how many shots that is but I used to burn 2 cases of Swiss a year. Never had a problem. You think all of a sudden i'm going to have an accident? Why? Explain what would happen for what i'm doing is dangerous and please offer an example of it happening.

I can't. just popular opinion / urban legend? I guess?. just what does it accomplish? I might even try it.

Just make later pattern cartridges.

The type that uses two identical sheets of cut paper. I believe they’re called the 1861 cartridge in the ordnance manuals?

They are designed so you separate the pre greased mini from the paper and no paper actually ever goes down the barrel. These were designed to be faster to manufacture and were a lot less complex over older designs.

EDIT:

Here is how to makes them. You only need one pattern of paper, two pieces:

0F778634-8764-46B7-A2A2-6ADA48411A64.jpeg

Nip the end of the paper with your teeth, pour powder down, and separate the mini from the paper. Stuff him thusly, cap, fire. It’s that easy. Also allows you to use a mini properly sized 1-2 thou less than bore diameter for top accuracy. No need to factor in paper thickness etc. as again no paper is stuffed down, just the bare naked greased ball. I have found unsalted lard thickened with some beeswax is a marvelous mini lube.

Last edited:
Just make later pattern cartridges.

The type that uses two identical sheets of cut paper. I believe they’re called the 1861 cartridge in the ordnance manuals?

They are designed so you separate the pre greased mini from the paper and no paper actually ever goes down the barrel. These were designed to be faster to manufacture and were a lot less complex over older designs.

EDIT:

Here is how to makes them. You only need one pattern of paper, two pieces:

View attachment 75563
Nip the end of the paper with your teeth, pour powder down, and separate the mini from the paper. Stuff him thusly, cap, fire. It’s that easy. Also allows you to use a mini properly sized 1-2 thou less than bore diameter for top accuracy. No need to factor in paper thickness etc. as again no paper is stuffed down, just the bare naked greased ball. I have found unsalted lard thickened with some beeswax is a marvelous mini lube.
I've lost count of how many of these I've rolled or assembled. The task is more enjoyable with a friend or family member (also a reenactor).

I've incorporated a modified version for my .54 cal GPR with a PRB so that after pouring powder, the other end will pop open by the force of the PRB being inserted into the muzzle by the ramrod (the muzzle is coned). Similar in principle to the plastic, double-capped "speedloaders" available for purchase. The outer layer of the paper cartridge is protected from the lube's capillary action of pre-lubed patches by an inner layer of waxed paper.

Back