• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burning Embers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys ever hear of the NRA?

I was raised with their ideas of safety. As in "Treat all guns as if they are loaded"
"Never point a gun at any thing/person you don't intend to shoot"

Weird ideas, eh?

And you all think it is acceptable to put a gun barrel in your mouth!

Incomprehensible.

Of all the people I know of who blow down the barrel of a FIRED muzzleloader, including myself; never have I known any of them to put a barrel in their mouth. That's not even the way it is done! The hand is cupped to encircle the muzzle and air is blown into the cupped hand. I'm beginning to suspect that some shooters often get "the vapors". And once it has been fired it cannot be fired again until it has been LOADED again, period. Do your own thing but don't tell others they are wrong for doing their own thing. Thank you.

Maybe, but he called me out unfairly when he misread my post. Instead of apologizing to me he edited his post instead. You quoted the edited version. Read what I quoted of him and you'll see the unedited version. I wasn't impressed with him doing that. When I make a mistake I admit it. He should too.
Well, I apologize for posting my comment and saying you shot at a range. You might notice that you responded only 5 minutes after I first posted the incorrect post and while you were correcting me, I was editing my post to say you didn't shoot at a range.

As far as "nanny's" go, I am not your nanny. I really don't care what you do when your shooting alone. Blow away, I say, if that makes you happy.

Personally, I've never seen a good reason for blowing down a barrel. I've never needed to do it so I've never done it and I'm not about to start now.

Well, I apologize for posting my comment and saying you shot at a range. You might notice that you responded only 5 minutes after I first posted the incorrect post and while you were correcting me, I was editing my post to say you didn't shoot at a range.

As far as "nanny's" go, I am not your nanny. I really don't care what you do when your shooting alone. Blow away, I say, if that makes you happy.

Personally, I've never seen a good reason for blowing down a barrel. I've never needed to do it so I've never done it and I'm not about to start now.

Just a habit and I like seeing the smoke blow out the nipple or vent liner. Probably the same reason I like to swab between shots. I know what to do so I don't have to but it's part of the process of shooting a muzzleloader for me. I actually enjoy it. I use tow and it's cheap.

Sorry for ragging on you. I was more surprised than anything. Nothing really bothers me. I know what it is to be a mod and it's a thankless job.

When I run a damp patch down the barrel after firing a shot, I have a great plume of smoke coming from the nipple or touch hole. All the benefits of verifying the touch hole is clear and embers are extinguished by the damp patch and one less step. I do have to use a properly fitting jag/patch combination to prevent pushing fouling into the flash channel.

Back