• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bulge in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinekayak

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Traditions Mountain rifle that I shoot quite a bit but I just noticed something while making sure the barrel was lubed for storage. At the beginning of the summer I shot it cleaned it and put it away after lubing the bore with bore butter. After going back to check on it a few days later the bore was covered in surface rust. I immediately cleaned it and lubed with a modern gun oil (fp 10). I ended up with some scattered very minor pitting in the bore. I have shot it since and accuracy was not affected so I can live with it. Today when running a lubed patch down the bore I noticed that 4-6" from the patent breech the patch slid a little easier. So could it be a bulge or maybe an area that didn't get any of the surface pitting so the patch just rides easier? I can't tell by looking down the bore. I plan on getting a bore scope but have not done it yet. Any thoughts?

I did but only a few and the few I shot were load and shoot and they were hand cast and a pretty tight fit as tight as the prb loads

Yup I agree about bore butter! Even on a clean bore that must have had a little moisture in it i got surface rust over the whole bore. I only use a modern firearm oil now. It may also be the steel that the barrel is made with may be more prone to rust. I usually shoot this and my pedersoli flint at the same time. I clean them the same way and i still some times get a little rust on the patch out of the traditions when i go back the next day. I have never gotten any rust on the pedersoli. BTW I really like my traditions mountain rifle. Its a good looking good shooting rifle

It depends on which is at the front of the shelf.

Kind of like 3 in 1, Barricade comes in a aerosol can and I hate wasting it.

My traditions does the same thing but more in the middle of the barrel. Its like it hits a smooth spot. Dead accurate as long as I don't flinch so I don't really worry about it.

Had same experience with bore butter, like everyone else, use barricade.

FishDFly, Barricade liquid in a can may be ordered online from Walmart and shipped to your local store for free. Last time I checked it was about $15.

Thanks, I will have to find it. I have been happy with the way it protects, just dislike the spray.

That will give the wife something to do.

Back