• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building me a N.W. tradegun. Again ! :D

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty tough but not that tough shiny tough that I do not like on guns . Ive tried oil ( the worst but was emulating Ken Netting , my building hero ) , varnish and now this shellac . I like the shellac ....funny , a guy from a couple hundred years ago suggested it so I tried it . In the HBCo archives a guy tells the gun builders to use shellac ....so I did ....I like it .
So do I and it’s to easy and looks good as well.

Shellac finish was originally applied then changed to boiled linseed before the American French & Indian War and used all the way into WWII. Hard finish but takes time to cure. My family has dealt with antiques & weapons for over 150 years having two antique stores.

Give your stock several coats of shellac (coat under the barrel too), most forget about this area. If your hunting in bad weather you'll need all the protection possible.

Buck

Loving it ! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_133534.jpg
    IMG_20231010_133534.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_133506.jpg
    IMG_20231010_133506.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_133410.jpg
    IMG_20231010_133410.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_133436.jpg
    IMG_20231010_133436.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231010_133451.jpg
    IMG_20231010_133451.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Thank you fellas . I'm gettin all excited ! :) I'm gonna have a N.W. Trade gun !! WOOH DAWGY !!!! :) I probably won't do anything on the barrel and lock right away but now I can take er out huntin ! I need to stamp and file rings on the barrel , which I'll probably do today or tomorrow but probably won't brown it till later ....the lock , I just stamped the sittin fox on it and d@mn near screwed it all up but got it straightened around ....still gotta weld up the cast in " engraving " on the face and cock then file it clean etc. and blue screws etc. but thats probably for later ... The wood is protect ted now so ... Need to go make meat !! :)

Thank you fellas . I'm gettin all excited ! :) I'm gonna have a N.W. Trade gun !! WOOH DAWGY !!!! :) I probably won't do anything on the barrel and lock right away but now I can take er out huntin ! I need to stamp and file rings on the barrel , which I'll probably do today or tomorrow but probably won't brown it till later ....the lock , I just stamped the sittin fox on it and d@mn near screwed it all up but got it straightened around ....still gotta weld up the cast in " engraving " on the face and cock then file it clean etc. and blue screws etc. but thats probably for later ... The wood is protect ted now so ... Need to go make meat !! :)
Guess I better get a hunting license then so you don’t get the jump on me.lol

I gotta .... Take that rear sight off , file it clean , take out a big gap at the pan / barrel , re sight her in , maybe blue the trigger and lock screws .... Nuttin major but gotta get it done first ... Like ta get that barrel browned but dont think.I'll have time to .....

Ok ...got the screws and trigger heat blued , cut and shaped RR pipe pins , stamped the barrel and filed on barrel rings , do a little fitting to the lock , was awfully tight in the mortice ! , blued TG rear screws and removed the rear sight . I gotta try shootin her again and see where shes a hittin , not yet Walt ! , then I can go " make meat " !! Tonight or tomorrow I'm gonna run some round ball , at least 50 . Needin em bad and now ive got fire heatin the house at night so ...its time . Been to d@mn dry to start a fire out in the yard ! Crazy how long its been since we've had rain ! I'll brown the barrel later ....

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_150145~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_150145~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231011_150157.jpg
    IMG_20231011_150157.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231011_150148~2.jpg
    IMG_20231011_150148~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231011_131125.jpg
    IMG_20231011_131125.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231011_150136.jpg
    IMG_20231011_150136.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Give your stock several coats of shellac (coat under the barrel too), most forget about this area. If your hunting in bad weather you'll need all the protection possible.

Buck
Don't forget under the butt plate. Any end grain area needs extra treatment, it's where splits start and when just sucks up moisture.

Don't forget under the butt plate. Any end grain area needs extra treatment, it's where splits start and when just sucks up moisture.
Its going to or can split my stock !! Oh $#it !!! What should I do ?! Please tell me . So I should take off my buttplate and seal the end under there ? What should I seal it with ? Do you have your favorite thing or brand ? If you could tell me that and show or tell me how I'd sure appreciate it ! Thanks

Ok ...got the screws and trigger heat blued , cut and shaped RR pipe pins , stamped the barrel and filed on barrel rings , do a little fitting to the lock , was awfully tight in the mortice ! , blued TG rear screws and removed the rear sight . I gotta try shootin her again and see where shes a hittin , not yet Walt ! , then I can go " make meat " !! Tonight or tomorrow I'm gonna run some round ball , at least 50 . Needin em bad and now ive got fire heatin the house at night so ...its time . Been to d@mn dry to start a fire out in the yard ! Crazy how long its been since we've had rain ! I'll brown the barrel later ....
Rob you just heat blue the lock bolt heads and trigger and the rest of the screw heads.

Rob you just heat blue the lock bolt heads and trigger and the rest of the screw heads.
Yes Sir ... You wire wheel the part clean , then dont touch it ....get torch going ,hold part with needle nose heatvevenly , slowly , when it gets to a kinda gold color it will soon start turning blue , heating even is important ,twirl or move it if you can and move it around flame ....when it turns blue , there are different shades but be quick , when blue and evenly quickly put the head in motor oil , ....it'll be blue and stay blue ... You can do this to a few parts ....lock screws , lock bolts , top jaw screw , cock screw , frizzen spring screw , tang screw ....

I use what ever I use as a stock finish.
I also place a note under the butt plate of any, new to me, firearm about who made it and when it was made ,loads etc . I have found notes and especially shop receipts under the butt plates of a few antique firearms . It all adds to the story

I use what ever I use as a stock finish.
I also place a note under the butt plate of any, new to me, firearm about who made it and when it was made ,loads etc . I have found notes and especially shop receipts under the butt plates of a few antique firearms . It all adds to the story
After I pry off the buttplate , how many coats of finish should I apply? Do I wait for it to dry before I put my note in there and nail the buttplate back on ? I little sticky might hold my note better . What information should I put on my note ? Thanks!

Back