• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another original barrel !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went up to the big city yesterday to visit Ken Netting and get some barrels from him and while there he up and offer me an original barrel out of his stash ! He told me to just pick one ! I was giddy as a school girl !! I picked this sweet oct. to round 20 ga. barrel . Its 36" long , just gorgeous and he// , he even proofed it all ready , showed me the info in his proof folder , the man is WAY too organized ,LOL . So ...thats about as cool as it gets . I'm no expert but I'd guess it to be late 1830s to 1850 period . At the beginning I thought it was much earlier but after calming down I'd say my guesstimate is correct . Its Belgium and , really cool , has the counterfeit " LONDON " stamp on the top flat . The bore looks pretty good but I just got it so I haven't started cleaning the bore out yet . Its gonna make a great short N.W. Trade Gun !!!! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_090659.jpg
    IMG_20230615_090659.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230615_090603.jpg
    IMG_20230615_090603.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230615_090618.jpg
    IMG_20230615_090618.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230615_090608.jpg
    IMG_20230615_090608.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
That's nice. I had a whole pile of old barrels at one time. Sold them all off.
I come across them every once in awhile but they get more rare each year . I dont think I'll have a chance to use it to build me anything this year , too darn busy , but sure sounds great . Pretty cool ...

So I have these two originals now ... They aren't Terribly old but still very cool . I'm so busy they will probably still be sitting here when they auction all my trash off after the dirt nap ! LOL ! :D
AND ....I have $10 in both of them ! LOL ! !

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_101301.jpg
    IMG_20230615_101301.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Very cool. So how can you determine that the London stamp was a counterfeit? Done by the Belgium factory or maybe someone down the road?
LONDON stamp but Belgium proofs .... You know ....I need to check those proofs out again ... I'm having doubts now , was in a hurry ....perhaps Birmingham...

I need a friend like that. My friends give me things to fix, and then I have to give them back! I love my friends.
WELL ...... I do have to fix , make , the rest of the gun ! LOL ....Yeah , I was quite surprised . I hope I get to make something out of it before this winter . N.W. gun of course. :)

This is what it’s all about, true craftsmen very seldom get to seek out their project. The project finds the craftsmen in one way or another, then the craftsmen does what he does best. He makes functional art, no matter what the medium is.

LONDON stamp but Belgium proofs .... You know ....I need to check those proofs out again ... I'm having doubts now , was in a hurry ....perhaps Birmingham...
They are Birmingham proofs ....very cool . All British made ... Gonna make a great N.W. Trade Gun ... !!!

I’m assuming you do similar for the breech plug? 3/4-16 die?
Oh , I just buy the breech plugs , already done . Ive made them on a lathe before but never in a vice . Wouldnt be terribly difficult , technically , but bunch of labor to make a plug by hand ...

Latest posts

Back