• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken makes some nice barrels! He can make some pretty long ones too! How long does it take you to grind those flats?
He sure does ! And turns them down to my specs too , appreciate that. It takes too d@mn long !! LOL ! Long drawn out process . I'll grind until I just can't take it any more then do something else for awhile .... I keep doin that till she's done so I really don't know the exact length of time . Two days into it so far ....

I like your designing and building explanations. These are such nice and graceful looking guns and I am looking forward to see your Fusil de Chasse being born.
Very cool bud . I hope I dont bore ya ta death ! :) See if I can find ya a pic of one of my finished Fusil de Chasse on this here phone .... Found a couple ! And WOW !! The phone downloaded them quick ! Will wonders never cease ! :D

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118955448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118955448.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670118912034.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118912034.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
LOL ! Well .... They dont pop ya in the cheek bone hardly at all with 50-60 gr.....With 90 they will make you see stars . With 110 we'll call for the stretcher ! All in what ya want ! :)

Grab your gouge and start the primary channel , just follow the centerline . This gouge is a bit undersize so no reason to worry if you just follow the line ....see which way to go so you ain't " buckin the grain " , ie fighting it ...this one likes to go toward the breech .....get to it . Take breaks and grind on barrel ....back and forth ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_140023.jpg
    IMG_20230513_140023.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Learning something here. I would have thought to do the ram rod channel first. Is there a benefit to doing the barrel first or does it even matter?
Thanks!
Nope , barrel first . The barrel dictates everything else about the build and is the center line to the whole build . Plus ...if the ramrod were done first you would have to be very careful not to have the RR hole or the barrel channel touch and hope and pray the RR hole and barrel channel were parallel . Barrel first , breech and tang , then ramrod groove , then ramrod hole in forearm , 3/16" thick web , then barrel tennons on , barrel tennons bedded in channel and pinned , lock inlet , lock bolts in , trigger made and inlet/ pinned , buttplate made , LOP marked then buttplate put on , trigger guard and tang screw , ramrod pipes ..... Then ....start shaping :)

Last edited:
Nope , barrel first . The barrel dictates everything else about the build and is the center line to the whole build . Plus ...if the ramrod were done first you would have to be very careful not to have the RR hole or the barrel channel touch and hope and pray the RR hole and barrel channel were parallel . Barrel first , breech and tang , then ramrod groove , then ramrod hole in forearm , 3/16" thick web , then barrel tennons on , barrel tennons bedded in channel and pinned , lock inlet , lock bolts in , trigger made and inlet/ pinned , buttplate made , LOP marked then buttplate put on , trigger guard and tang screw , ramrod pipes ..... Then ....start shaping :)
Thank you!!!

Good gawd ! Finally ! Flats ground on ....refine with filing ...

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_160538.jpg
    IMG_20230514_160538.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230514_155210.jpg
    IMG_20230514_155210.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Unbreech your barrel ..... Center it and make lines , straight down both sides . Use as rough guide for now . Chisel straight down at breech and gouge in towards the back ...get that rough channel to the breech ....stay way inside those lines for now ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_163403.jpg
    IMG_20230514_163403.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Ok ...now keep putting barrel to the back , flat and hold center , mark if yaneed to ... Take chisel and cut down each side of barrel channel then ...repeat ....keep doing this watching your center . If it needs it just cut on one side ....keep doing this till the breech slips down in there .....

Attachments

• IMG_20230514_164116.jpg
    IMG_20230514_164116.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back