• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunstock Blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1974 I purchased a maple log from a sawmill which was 10 feet long and 28 to 30 inches wide. I asked them to saw it into 3" thick planks. I then sawed the 10-foot planks into 5-foot lengths for ease of handling and air drying. After the 3 + years of air drying the original 3" thick planks lost a little more than 1/8" of thickness. Moral of the story is that I SHOULD have had the sawmill cut the log into 2-1/2" or 2-3/4" inch planks. I would not have lost / wasted so much good wood in the form of chips / sawdust:doh:

I learned my lesson and in 1996 I purchased a walnut log and had the sawmill cut it into 2-1/2" planks. I ended up with a LOT less waste.:thumb:

In 1974 I purchased a maple log from a sawmill which was 10 feet long and 28 to 30 inches wide. I asked them to saw it into 3" thick planks. I then sawed the 10-foot planks into 5-foot lengths for ease of handling and air drying. After the 3 + years of air drying the original 3" thick planks lost a little more than 1/8" of thickness. Moral of the story is that I SHOULD have had the sawmill cut the log into 2-1/2" or 2-3/4" inch planks. I would not have lost / wasted so much good wood in the form of chips / sawdust:doh:

I learned my lesson and in 1996 I purchased a walnut log and had the sawmill cut it into 2-1/2" planks. I ended up with a LOT less waste.:thumb:
5’ is cutting it short for a Longrifle.

Maybe for the ones you build:dunno: but not for me.:ghostly::ThankYou:
3EAFABCF-F45B-4208-A876-67E609335FCD.jpeg

My 44 inch barreled rifles come in right at 5’. This ‘48inch barreled rifle blank is 5’6”
46” barreled rifle comes in at 5’3”.

‘5 would be perfect for a “42 barrel and a 44 is doable if the ends are good.

It’s all a judgement call in what you get out of a log. Barrels longer than 42” are less common, longer than 44” more so.

I have avoided doing anything to speed up drying. In my mild climate the wood checks plenty already. I use varnish to seal the ends well. IF the wood is already dry, when I get it, I cover all surfaces. Check your stash periodically and give it more coats if it is starting to check.

I keep my wood supply in a closet in the house. I live in CA between San Jose and Montrey. The maple planks were cut at a sawmill in NJ and were sealed on the ends with wax back in 1974. The walnut planks were harvested from a farm in Easton PA and were kiln dried for 3 months then air dried in my house back in NJ in 1996 nothing was applied to their ends. When I was transferred from NJ to CA in 1998 I bought this wood with me. The other stock blanks have come from stock wood suppliers online and came with some latex paint on their ends. The only checking that I have noticed in any of this wood were the maple planks from the 1974 NJ lot. End checking/cracking depends a lot on the moisture content in the wood at the time the wood was harvested and how it was dried- my opinion.:dunno:
My Wood 2.JPG

Latest posts

Back