• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most buttplate on a trade gun , couple hours , tops ....this one ? Three days !! LOL !! Lordy ! And it still needs some work .I dont know ... I annealed the other buttplates from this material in the forge and in the wood stove ...maybe it did a better job of annealing ? I annealed this o e twice but with a torch . I've never had this kind of misery and trouble before , could not work this metal , very tough and springy .... All that metal I have ...I hate to waste it , not use it but we'll see ... When I get the forge going I'll make a buttplate and anneal it then make my decision from that...oh well .... Any who ....still a little gap around the edges . I have to get or make some different wood screws and keep working it down tomorrow ... Theres a rendezvous close by too so wanna go check it out tomorrow or Sunday ... Hopefully I can get this f$#@ing buttplate on and start roughing in the buttstock , notices back .... Lordy ....
My next build is for Mr. Hubbard out east . He's been waiting a year , poor guy . Man I'm slow ! LOL ...its gonna be an all iron mounted Type G/ Carolina gun in 20 ga. 48" barrel . The barrel , along with a 40" one for me one day , is waiting for me at Ken Netting s house near Columbus ...gotta find a ride up there and get it soon . Busy busy !! :)
That’s the way it seems that’s why we have bad days so we appreciate the good days.That frenchy is coming right along Rob and that 48” carolina gun wow you won’t have pattern it you could just reach out and touch em.Have good night Rob

Been waiting to hear when that trigger would show up. Now that you have a part on hand you might as well plan on building up the whole gun!

That’s the way it seems that’s why we have bad days so we appreciate the good days.That frenchy is coming right along Rob and that 48” carolina gun wow you won’t have pattern it you could just reach out and touch em.Have good night Rob
Just got in my lazy spot , on couch watchin Longmire and playing on the phone .... Shoot , this is just a typical day for me , unfortunately , LOL ..... but I'll keep up on it all ... Get the gun and the garden done ! LOL ... Keep pluggin away ....night bud. :)

My next build is for Mr. Hubbard out east . He's been waiting a year , poor guy . Man I'm slow ! LOL ...its gonna be an all iron mounted Type G/ Carolina gun in 20 ga. 48" barrel . The barrel , along with a 40" one for me one day , is waiting for me at Ken Netting s house near Columbus ...gotta find a ride up there and get it soon . Busy busy !! :)
Another iron mounted one....!

Gulp ... my order is for all iron and after seeing you fight that Fuzee iron buttplate ... ROT RO :ghostly: !?!?!
LOL ! It'll be fine . I'm going to experiment with annealing a piece in the forge , as I've never had that problem before with this metal . I just made a trigger guard out of the same material for my last build , a NW trade gun , and didn't have a bit of problem ! Even cold forged with no annealing first ! Go figure ?!! ...I ll make my decision after annealing a buttplate in a coal fire . If the forge annealing doesn't do a good job ... Have lots of other steel to use . I just love using this 1OO year old stuff but not if its going to fight me each build . No biggy

Last edited:
Usually I'd just leave the buttstock in " in the rough " stage and move on with the rest of the build until its all in the rough then go to " refining the shape " stage but ....the bottom of the wrist has me worried and I'm loosing sleep so I want to work on it till its a bit more refining to ease my mind. The whole buttstock is to shape but is in the pudgy stage....I've been in that stage since 6th grade ?! Weird ! :D .... Look at the pic with me holding the rule on the wrist . high spot by my fingers ...mark it and knock it down then repeat , and repeat , and repeat ...that wrist needs to be straight . Then when you get that done the wrist where it meets the comb will be too shallow and usually a bit square so then you have to take the comb down , thinner , so the wrist is round and defined .... See , once you define one area it effects the other , its a battle ...never ending it seems at times ! LOL ....thats why many times youll see hand made guns with bulky or un refined shapes . They should be thin and well defined . I'm not trying to be a " Ned know it all " , many of my builds I've seen later make me cringe .... " Let me borrow that gun for a week .Need to take a rasp to that fatty ! " :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_104906.jpg
    IMG_20230606_104906.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_104334.jpg
    IMG_20230606_104334.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
See ....working the bottom , but off to each side of direct bottom , is giving me the sweep I want on the bottom and its taking out that flat spot that has had me very concerned but .... When you look from the bottom , that thing is way too thick and sides that straight but bulging , from about where you'd have your hand while shooting it , cause I took it down to my dimensions there , to just before the butt plate , because I took it parallel to the plate edges so ....keep taking that wrist down ...then I'll have to take the comb sides down thinner so the wrist will be round and defined .... ugh , LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_121525.jpg
    IMG_20230606_121525.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_121535.jpg
    IMG_20230606_121535.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Got an email from the Michigan museum(sorry, don’t recall/spell that M**** name sitting in my truck at lunch hour) that they’re waiting on mite season to end to open the case to get detail pix of the Trade Gun with a 27” barrel that was recovered from bottom of some lake.

Got an email from the Michigan museum(sorry, don’t recall/spell that M**** name sitting in my truck at lunch hour) that they’re waiting on mite season to end to open the case to get detail pix of the Trade Gun with a 27” barrel that was recovered from bottom of some lake.
Love to see it !!!

Got the trigger guard from Track today ...d like to try and forge one one day , wouldn't that be great if I was making French guards too .... Cut off the massive lugs .... Gettin ready

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_104912.jpg
    IMG_20230606_104912.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_182038.jpg
    IMG_20230606_182038.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I have the butt stock well past in the rough stage and the spot on the bottom I was worried about that s gone I'm going to move on now... Started making the Fusil side plate out of the old metal . got it done and started to inlet it but ....I was starting to get in a hurry , no no ...and I want to till the garden a bit, real quick too before dark so that'll be for tomorrow ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_183421.jpg
    IMG_20230606_183421.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_195307.jpg
    IMG_20230606_195307.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_194437.jpg
    IMG_20230606_194437.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230606_193223.jpg
    IMG_20230606_193223.jpg