• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the butt stock well past in the rough stage and the spot on the bottom I was worried about that s gone I'm going to move on now... Started making the Fusil side plate out of the old metal . got it done and started to inlet it but ....I was starting to get in a hurry , no no ...and I want to till the garden a bit, real quick too before dark so that'll be for tomorrow ....
Looks to be coming along nicely Rob you seem to a good eye for shaping the wood for sure Wont be till it’s done I suspect.😉

Looks to be coming along nicely Rob you seem to a good eye for shaping the wood for sure Wont be till it’s done I suspect.😉
Thanks bud ....slowly but slowly , LOL ...about a week and it should be done . ...then browning and finish ... Got to get another tumbler or I'd be shooting it tomorrow ....darn it

Looks great. Curious to see the color of the finish on this beaut.
Should be close to these two ...just shellaced walnut . We'll see . Can't wait to shoot it !

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670118889499.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1669607488229.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669607488229.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
So much love going into this fella. Tough love at that LOL!
I am certainly no expert on this, but looking at the wrist, the rail looks like it has no taper as it sweeps down toward the bottom of the butt, making it look fat and clunky. If it gradually thins in height as it slopes back it will look lighter and allow more wood to come off the sides in the cheek area. But it’s still early on at this point, as you said it gets more attention later on in the build.

So much love going into this fella. Tough love at that LOL!
I am certainly no expert on this, but looking at the wrist, the rail looks like it has no taper as it sweeps down toward the bottom of the butt, making it look fat and clunky. If it gradually thins in height as it slopes back it will look lighter and allow more wood to come off the sides in the cheek area. Just my impression…
Exactly ... Funny , as in person it doesnt look so " fat " but sure does in that picture . I'll come back to it and thin it down some more . The top of the comb needs to come down in appearance but when I should it it feels good and sights good ....little torn what to do there but ...I'll figure that out later . Get the side plate inlet , pipes made ( if I got the metal ) and inlet them , then rough in the front ....

Welp ....strangely enough I found a ramrod pipe for a Fusil de Chasse that I'd made before , dont recall , which , why , etc. , shocker ...but ...no material to make another and an entry pipe so .... Gotta run to town and see if I can find some .... wish me luck ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230607_153930.jpg
    IMG_20230607_153930.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I sense a reaccuring theme on this gun .... There is no .035-.037 sheet metal in the county ...I have to make some from some heavier stuff I have here in the shop .... Lordy ....How to drag out a build 101 .....here we go again ...I wonder if I'll find some after all this work .....Lordy ..... meh :/

Last edited:
Welp ....strangely enough I found a ramrod pipe for a Fusil de Chasse that I'd made before , dont recall , which , why , etc. , shocker ...but ...no material to make another and an entry pipe so .... Gotta run to town and see if I can find some .... wish me luck ....
The mystery can of stuff.😉

See ....working the bottom , but off to each side of direct bottom , is giving me the sweep I want on the bottom and its taking out that flat spot that has had me very concerned but .... When you look from the bottom , that thing is way too thick and sides that straight but bulging , from about where you'd have your hand while shooting it , cause I took it down to my dimensions there , to just before the butt plate , because I took it parallel to the plate edges so ....keep taking that wrist down ...then I'll have to take the comb sides down thinner so the wrist will be round and defined .... ugh , LOL
Get lots of practice at this one. I know there will be at least one more for you. Chat with you soon!

Get lots of practice at this one. I know there will be at least one more for you. Chat with you soon!
Funny ...I looked at my build list earlier . I only have 3 or 4 more Fusil de chasse to build . When my buddy Tommy gets his operation going I won't build anymore as he wants the market in French Fusils and I'll do just English trade guns , Carolina and N.W. styles ....

I hope to never have to do that again .... I finally got it thin enough then layed out the ramrod pipes and annealed them ....maddening .... This all took so long , I'm pooped ... I just made the one to feel better about the whole drawn out thing ... Tomorrow I'll make the other pipe and the entry pipe with tail ...then inlet them in the ramrod channel , drill , pin them. ....feel better when thats done .... Day after tomorrow hopefully get the stock , forward of mortices , in the rough....

Attachments

• IMG_20230607_203539.jpg
    IMG_20230607_203539.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230607_203351.jpg
    IMG_20230607_203351.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230607_192042.jpg
    IMG_20230607_192042.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230607_203229.jpg
    IMG_20230607_203229.jpg