building a chambers kit...

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by Gwig, Feb 14, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2019 #21

Buckskinn

Buckskinn

Buckskinn

40 Cal

That's tough for us to say. How about you give them a call? They are very friendly and helpful. Barbie will probably talk your ear off....

2. Jun 17, 2019 #22

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

40 Cal

I too am left handed. My first two builds were from TVM kits. This time around, I bought all the parts separately. I didn't have the $ to buy a full kit outright so bought as i could afford them. Just made a list and checked off an item each time I placed an order. I bought my stock from Pecatonia river. They will inlet as much or as little as you want. I bought mine with only the barrel, and ramrod channels inletted as I wanted to try my hand at in letting the lock and trigger myself this time. As has been mentioned building a gun isn't rocket science but you definitely need to pay attention to what youre doing. And always measure several times before cutting. If you don't, you will be stocking your wood pile and not a gun.

3. Jun 18, 2019 #23

MSW

MSW

MSW

Cannon MLF Supporter

Cpt Batguano got it in one … you need a copy of The Gunsmith of Grenville County (available from Track of the Wolf - here's a link:
    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/321/1/BOOK-GGC
    about 45 bucks, plus the ever-unpopular S&H, but it will more than save the purchase price in parts you don't ruin and delays you don't have to endure because after reading it you will not only understand the order of the steps, but the "Why?" of the steps go in that particular order.

You should be able to neurosurgery with your chisels... I use the scarysharp method (where you put wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of float glass) … others use water stones, whetstones and the like … whatever you use, get really good at it, and never hesitate to refresh an edge or to re-strop the edge.

don't buy 'sets' of chisels: you'll end up never using a bunch of them, so it's money wasted... Instead, buy the chisels you need as the need arises, and get the very best you can afford.

cheap tools s*&^!!! not inexpensive tools, but cheaply made tools... when in doubt, ask the folks at Track, or post a question here.

"sneak up on it..." remember, there's not really a time deadline, except the one you impose on yourself, so go slow and get it right the first time. It's a process, not a race.

Have fun, and take pictures … we love pictures.

Make Good Smoke!!!

(shall we tell this fellow about the incredible addictive nature of gunbuilding … for which there is no twelve step recovery program, no therapy session, no group hugs? … nah - he'll figure it out on his third or fourth build)

Flycaster1977 likes this.
  4. Jun 18, 2019 #24

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

Sidney Smith

40 Cal

I have Chuck Dixon's book " Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle". The diagrams are a little hokey but they are decent enough and everything to build a gun from A to Z is covered. I think they run about $25 now days.

5. Jun 18, 2019 #25

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

You can never have too many books.

6. Jun 20, 2019 #26

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

S.Kenton

58 Cal.

Hi, I’m a little late to the party... but did you get your kit yet? If so I’d like to see pictures, I’m considering one myself. Also would like your opinion on it , if you don’t mind.
    Thanks

8 BORE likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2019 #27

bptactical

bptactical

bptactical

Pilgrim

Most important tool investment you can make.
    Feed your brain