• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

building a chambers kit...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwig

32 Cal
Reaction score
im a new guy n already caught hell for talking about modern stuff like plastic n such so take it easy on me please...I will learn..question is ,,,,got the video from chambers on building a kit gun from them,,, is it really that easy or am I missing something?? im good with my hands n it just looks like if u take ur time n think about stuff it should not be rocket science.. or m I missing something.....

It really is that easy. Because these projects are so long in duration though, apart from a comfortable place to work, tools, and skill, the other very needed attribute is patience. Do your research before you jump in. Do you have any of the "How To" books yet?
Gunsmith of Grenville County
Recreating the American Long Rifle

I haven’t built a kit from him but have watched some of the videos. Judging by him saying “a little bit” many times and if you really understand that sharp tools means scary sharp then a handy fellow should have no problem building the basic rifle. My only qualifications to say this is building a few rifles from scratch and stocking many modern guns.

The concept is simple, but the execution can be complicated. Take your time, measure twice and keep your chisels sharp. Ask lots of questions before you move forward as it is easy to take wood & metal away, but difficult to put it back. Beginners tend to build chunky guns because they don't realize how slim an 18th century gun should be. Profiling the lock panels is another difficult part.

Check out the recent thread posted by master builder Dave Person as he built a Chambers Little Fella rifle for me. Long thread but a real text book on the subject. Pay special attention to the areas where he found.......uh....issues with the Chambers kit. Building it ain't for the beginner or faint hearted. Take yer time and let us know how it is working out.

im a new guy n already caught hell for talking about modern stuff like plastic n such so take it easy on me please...I will learn..question is ,,,,got the video from chambers on building a kit gun from them,,, is it really that easy or am I missing something?? im good with my hands n it just looks like if u take ur time n think about stuff it should not be rocket science.. or m I missing something.....

I think saying "is it really that easy" would be over stating what it takes to build a rifle from a parts kit as opposed to something like a Traditions kit. It takes a lot of work, patience and some specialized tools. I have done a bunch of mechanical work over the years and consider myself good with my hands but working to build a gun with the fine work that needs to be done is a different animal. I have come to realize I will never have the skill of some of the guys here, but I'm working on a couple of guns. They will have warts, but I will be able to say I built them.

I don't want to discourage anyone from giving building a shot and only you know what your abilities are, but also don't expect a work of art when you are just starting unless you are the exceptional person. To me it is the difference between learning to play the piano, which most of us could do at a very amateur level. Being able to be a professional or concert pianist is a whole different level.

Hi Gwig,
It really is not too difficult but it may not be as easy as the video shows. Rifleman1776 pays me a big compliment but the Chambers Little Fella's rifle kit that I built for him may have been a bit of an outlier. It had issues that I resolved and I admit that my experience and skill level helped a lot to resolve them and make them disappear. That said, I have an Isaac Haines kit from Chambers to build for a member of this forum and it is quite a bit better than the previous kit. Regardless, building the kits and making them look like the original guns they represent is not trivial and you will want to go slow but first, learn about the original guns as much as you can. If you want an authentically and beautifully styled kit gun that is as close to "snap together and finish" as you can get today, consider the two kits offered by Jim Kibler. Jim Chambers offers more styles but Kibler's kits are hands down the easiest historically correct kit guns to build.

dave

Hi Gwig,
It really is not too difficult but it may not be as easy as the video shows. Rifleman1776 pays me a big compliment but the Chambers Little Fella's rifle kit that I built for him may have been a bit of an outlier. It had issues that I resolved and I admit that my experience and skill level helped a lot to resolve them and make them disappear. That said, I have an Isaac Haines kit from Chambers to build for a member of this forum and it is quite a bit better than the previous kit. Regardless, building the kits and making them look like the original guns they represent is not trivial and you will want to go slow but first, learn about the original guns as much as you can. If you want an authentically and beautifully styled kit gun that is as close to "snap together and finish" as you can get today, consider the two kits offered by Jim Kibler. Jim Chambers offers more styles but Kibler's kits are hands down the easiest historically correct kit guns to build.

dave

would look at the kibler kit but im lh. n I don't think he makes a lh gun

I am about 80 hours into a Chambers kit (Edward Marshall). It is coming along, but certainly not without bumps in the road. I'm dealing with one of those right not... Sounds like you have the knowhow to figure it out and this is a great place for references and help. I looked at the Kibler kit and even though it is much less effort needed to get it to completion, I went with a Chambers because of selection... I guess that's the downside of CNC machining.

I too would would love to build a Kibler kit except for the fact they are RH only. I would even consider eliminating the cheek piece, but the stock has cast off instead of cast on. Not much you can do with that. Currently, I’m trying to make a choice between a Jim Chambers Isaac Hanes or a TVM Late Lancaster. All things (options) equal, they are priced within a $100 of each other. Leaning towards the Lancaster because it comes with 14” LOP standard. Folks at Jim Chambers have been very friendly to talk to. Can’t seem to reach the TVM folks on the phone, but they do respond quickly to emails, and in a friendly way.

Chambers is great to work with. Every time I called them I ended up talking to his wife for 20 minutes or so. Very friendly people. A little slow on shipping, but no big deal.

It really is that simple. There is not a single part of building a gun that is actually hard to do. But there are a few parts that take a really long time. Think about what you are doing before doing it and then take it slow.

Hi....first off do you want to learn how to build a LR or do you just want a LR. If it's a learning process , the Chambers parts set is the way to go....but if you just want a LR w/ hardly any work to assemble, then buy a Kibler ...either the SMR or the Colonial.

A Chambers parts set is one of the better on the market and you'll learn a lot while building it. All the holes in the wood will have to be drilled accurately and the lock plate will have to drilled and tapped. The White Lightning TH liner will require drilling and tapping the bbl.

Although all the inlets are nearly done, there will be some chiseling involved and the breech end of the bbl will have to be fitted and the bbl set back will have to be figured out according to the TH and lock pan locations.

The brass hardware items are probably the best found on any parts set. The precarved stock will require some wood removal and shaping. There aren't any instructions so a good "how to book" should be bought. The video will help also.

I've built 3 chambers Early Lancaster parts sets and all produced nice LRs. Good luck whichever way you go.....Fred

Copy of Copy of SLanIIIOA.jpg
LR0908TOW (4).jpg

Not to be a negative Nellie, but..... remember, these are parts sets, not a snap together kit. Parts will need to be fitted, drilled, tapped, etc. There i.e. A fair amount of skill and tools involved to make a good rifle. The architecture is good, so a really nice rifle can be achieved.

Not to be a negative Nellie, but..... remember, these are parts sets, not a snap together kit. Parts will need to be fitted, drilled, tapped, etc. There i.e. A fair amount of skill and tools involved to make a good rifle. The architecture is good, so a really nice rifle can be achieved.

I will wholeheartedly agree with that statement! It is much more involved that I expected, although certainly doable.

would most likely do a kibler but I am left handed.. so looks like will b going with chambers.. I think I can do just fine ...retired now so all I got to do is mow the lawn n work on flintlock..which is forever ,,thanx guys

Been about 17 weeks now give or take a week .. do they have problems or what is the hold up??

Back