• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buildin' a frontstuffer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Man, last winter was murder! I'd like to get me a muzzleloader kit to take up some of my time this winter. I have a couple questions. First, I'm totally new to this, so I need to do some readin' before I go and buy a kit. What books do yall recommend fer a beginner? Also, what kits do yall recommend that are easy enough fer a beginner, but hard enough to take up some time.(Time is somethin' I'll have way too much of this winter!)

I'd like to stay away from Kentucky style rifles. Maybe start out with a pistol. I'm wanting to build progressivly harder kits untill I get good enough to build me a real nice Golden Age longrifle. :thumbsup:

Bluegrass,

Without question :imo: the best two books for building are Dixon's, "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" and Alexander's, "The Gunsmith of Grenville County". Both are great books for the beginner. Liek myself. Dixon's is around $20+ and Alaxanders is around $40 for the bench version.
Packdog

Alexanders book has very nice illustrations. Dixon's book is good information but IMHO poorly illustrated.

Bottom line...whatever is said here, your probably gonna end up with 10 books that you use in one way or another by the time its all over.

Thoughts on "Kits".
As you may have found as you read posts on the Builders Bench forum, there are basically two kinds. The easy 95% done ones and the more difficult (expensive) Box of Parts.

The former can be built in a few days to a few weeks depending on your knowledge of screw drivers and sandpaper with a little filing and polishing thrown in.
The time to build one of these can be stretched out some by adding a few inlays, browning the barrel and choosing a slow drying finish like linseed oil but I think the average person will have it finished in 2 to 3 weeks.

The Box of Parts in it's easiest form will still require a knowledge (and ownership) of several chisels, drills, files, measuring tools, screw drivers, taps for making threads, etc.
These BOPs will take the average person at least 6 weeks to 6 months. (Most of mine take about 300+ hours but I go slow with all of the things that need doing).

The reason for the large difference in the time it takes to finish the gun is because most of the supply houses will do things like installing the breech plug, fully inleting the stock, installing the but plate, milling the dovetails for the sights and installing the underlugs on the barrel....for a fee. Or you can buy just the raw parts and do it all yourself.
If you choose to pay for these services it will reduce the effort you need to add to finish up the gun and greatly speed up the process.

There doesn't seem to be many unassembled guns in the area of difficulty between the Kits and the Box of Parts.

In my opnion, there is not a great deal of difference in difficulty between the building of a rifle or a pistol. All of the things you need to do to build a rifle will also have to be done on the pistol.

Buy the recommended books and read them from cover to cover.
While your reading be thinking of what you want to end up with and how much you want to spend.
Speaking of spending, if you decide some day to build a Kentucky Rifle, don't skimp on the quality of wood you buy.
Many people buy the cheapest wood they can to save a few bucks but I guarantee when they are finished they will kick themselves in the rear for not spending the additional money for a good grade of wood. (Note, I didn't say a top of the line grade stock).

I think building a rifle or pistol is one of the most satisfying hobbies you can have. Sometimes it's hard work and sometimes it can be aggravating but when your finished you will have something you can be proud of and have a heck of a good time shooting too. :)

Another good book is Shumway's, "Recreating the American Longrifle". All the books mentioned take you from a blank with aprts to a finished rifle. Read the books once. The second time through make notes in the margins and highlight portions as you require. Next re-read each part as you build the rifle. Many steps can be eliminated with a kit gun.

Traditions, Lyman, CVA, Thompson Center, Cabelas all ofter kits. These are your basic 98% plus cpmplete kits. Simply sand and polish parts apply stain to the wood, blue or brown the steel, and apply the sealer and finish to the wood and you are done.

The next step is not so much a step as already alluded to. You get a box of parts with a pre-carved stock. Lots of wood to remove and shape and fitting WILL be required for the parts. You get what you pay for with any kits or box of parts. I would recommend Jim Chambers Flintlocks or A Wayne Dunlop Kit. Unfortunately these are "Kentucky" style with the exception of Waynes Jager rifle. Pecatonica, Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply, Track of the Wolf and other also offer this level of "Kit". Be sure to ask lots of questions so they can do the parts you are not comfortable with yet.

The next level is not all that bid a step and that is working from an uncarved stock blank.

I must warn you though ... you can not assemble/build just one.

Bluegrass:

Wish this forum was around when I found myself in your exact situation. Advice: Walk Before You Run. Get ahold of a copy of Black Powder hobby Gunsmithing by Sam Fadala and Dale Storey (just checked[url] Amazon.com[/url], the book available for around $10). They take you through building 9 rifle and pistol kits from start to finish. I chose to build the Lyman .50cal Plains Pistol to go along with my .50cal Great Plains Rifle. Today that pistol kit is around $170- good quality parts for the price. If nothing else the project will open your eyes to all the variables involved in staining and finishing the stock and bluing or browning the barrel and lock.

The most important chapter is the one on Tuning The Lock. The lock in the kit, like most production pieces, ground and scraped and was hard to even cock. Would recommend that you spend several DAYS tuning the lock of whatever project you choose. Can't emphasize this enough, since a lot of the accuracy comes from the lock.

Later I did build a Golden Age longrifle in the style of John Armstrong, but am glad I did the kit first. If this forum had been around back then it might not have taken 450 hours, since I spent days figuring out how to do something which could be learned in a moment from the folks here.

Keep in touch and let us know your progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back