• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Buffalo powder horn that I got several years ago. I have noticed that it is appearing to be drying out. Thin lines along the body.
Is there anything that I can do to restore it?

Buffalo horns are like hair not like other horns,the lines may just be the hair lines.

Skidmore leather cream???Alot of leather guys i know say it's good for anything~

I have a buffalo horn I have had and used for ten years. The maker told me to use Howard's Feed and Wax. You can get it at Home Depot.

WB

Chief Moonthunder said:
Buffalo horns are like hair not like other horns,the lines may just be the hair lines.
Horns are horns.
The fibers of the buffalo horns just seem to be more coarse than those in cowhorns. What you are seeing are the fibers that have become more visible due to drying.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will give those answers a try.
Vearl

try linseed oil keep an eye on it and a light coatof varnish will seal it up if it cracks

Black Hand said:
Chief Moonthunder said:
Horns are horns.
The fibers of the buffalo horns just seem to be more coarse than those in cowhorns. What you are seeing are the fibers that have become more visible due to drying.

Black Hand is 100% correct! __ All bevin horn are made-up of hair like fibers, but Buffalo horn seems to crack and dry-out faster from loss of natural oils in the horn. Bee's wax mixed with a portion of Neatsfoot oil will help restore some of the damage, but cracking is common in bison horn and just the "nature of the beast", so to speak!

Rick

Being made of a material similar to hair, I would try pure lanolin on it to re-moisturize it.

not to hijack the thread, but I just finished the shaping of a bison horn ... this was my first attempt at bison ... i'm fairly satisfied with it, and I put paste wax (the bowling alley stuff) on it ... put several thin coats and it took a nice sheen, but it doesn't have that 'plastic' look that some finished seem to do.

did I mess up? should I have used something else?

thanks!

Not at all. Ya done good. Wax will seal it and keep the natural moisturizers from escaping as quickly. I would think that as long as you keep an occasional coat of wax on it, it will keep looking good.

thanks! this will be my 'go to' finish for horns now... it just looks a boatload better than the shiny plastic look I was getting from varnish- like finishes ...

more work, but worth it, IMHO

thanks again!

Back