• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buff hunter .58 shoots looooow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
my sons new (used) navy arms buffalo hunter got its first tryout today. at 50 yds with the rear sight at full elevation, 60 gr. ff (777) and a minie ball, it shoots about 2 feet low. after further inspection the front sight appears to have been changed and the side of the barrel has two filler screws in holes that look like tang mounts. i think we need to file the front sight or get a new riser for the rear sight.

before you file the front sight down try different powders and loads as well as lubes that your using, try to eliminate all variables, In my experiance differnt powders changes your impacts on targets as well as differnt lubes, I don't have any experiance with 777 but have some experiance with pyro rs and select as well as all brands of black powder what weight and projectile are you using? that also will dictate bullet impact. bb75

2 ft. low at 50 yards? :shocking: Do what Big Bore says, however, that sounds beyond the relm of a mismatched load. 60 grains of 777 FFg isn't exactly a MAGNUM load, but it's not a wussy load either.

Is the front sight a bead or a blade? A bead I would replace, a blade you can file(Gee Really, thanks for that Larry). Before you start filing I wonder :hmm: if you could paint your front sight with Sight Bright or finger nail polish, at different heights, to at least get you on paper, paint up halfway and ignore the rest of the sight, just to see if you are even close. If you are on paper, then you know approx. how much of your sight you need to file.
Larry

Ditto on this type of gun normally shooting high at close range. That load is roughly the equivalent of a military load, so it shouldn't be "off" by that much--but someone may have changed the sights on our guns so that they hit POA much closer also... :hmm:

If you do modify your front sight, do it very carefully and slowly... it's really hard to put metal back on after you've filed it away.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

i do have a taller rear sight off another rifle that i'm going to swap out first. the front sight is quite high on this rifle, really believe it had some other rear sight on it before we bought it. larry, your advice is well taken - i have wecsoged a few sights in my past. wecsog - wiley e. coyote school of gunsmithing

2 feet at 50, :( what does the end of the barrel look like? Does it look square and how is the muzzle crown?

replaced the rear sight with the one off my fifty. the front sights are approx. the same height. now with the rear sight at its lowest it shoots about 6" high at 50 yds. with a minie ball (577213). a patched round ball shoots to point of aim. i will modify the rear sight by filing the notch a little deeper. ringing the rams at 75 yds. is easy now, my kid should have no problems now. i must be getting old though - repeated 60 grn. ffg and the minies reduced my shoulder to mush getting that thing sighted in. :crackup:

Back