• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wonders! That's what a felt wad will do!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been very pleased with a Durafelt wad lubed with 50/50 Bees Wax and Crisco under Lee R.E.A.L. slugs out of both a .50 Hawken and .54 Renegade. I have the appropriate .45 R.E.A.L. molds and punch* but have not tried it in .45 yet. I have an old .45 Hawken barrel I could never get to shoot with PRB, I need to try it with the R.E.A.L.s and wads.

*I bought a "metric" sized punch off fleabay to cut wads for the .45. I think it was 12mm and was also marked 15/32'? Anyway, I have not tried it yet.

Amazing .. I would of thought the Lee real bullet with it’s base cavity would have had the wad pushing into the cavity and then not “disengaging” the bullet in the same manner on each shot ..making it “shotgun” the group

Anyone tried the wad trick on a Lee improved minie or even a Lee regular minie?

Bear

Amazing .. I would of thought the Lee real bullet with it’s base cavity would have had the wad pushing into the cavity and then not “disengaging” the bullet in the same manner on each shot ..making it “shotgun” the group

Bear
Lee REAL bullets have a flat base, no cavity.

Bear
My buddy has and that is what convinced me to try it. He claims that it makes the skirts flare better.

Also if you read the load data on Triple 7, they recommend a wad on all types of conicals.

Again, my belief is that it makes for more consistent gas capture , thus improved accuracy, but that is nothing but conjecture on my part......but I know it works....I shot my CVA 54 frontier hunter (1:48 twist) today with CVA Deerslayer conicals and 58 cal felt wads and it lowered the group by about 2 inches (which indicated to me that it is shooting at a higher velocity) and the group remained the same at 50 yards.....about 1.5 to 2 inches.

I have some 50 cal and 54 cal sized wonder wads coming and I look forward to using them on my CVA 54's and my CVA 50 cal.

The deerslayer conical has a hollow base
deeerrslayer.jpg

Last edited:
Lee REAL bullets have a flat base, no cavity.
Correction is on me ..I read the above which actually was talking about the Hornady bullet that is like a renamed Lee REAL
Bottom line is has any one ever shot a hollow base conical with a wad and what were the results
I would think not good however I read Can't recall where or how authoritative the author was) where there were battleground pickups with the hollow base filled ..which I would think would defeat the purpose of the hollow base??

Bear

Bottom line is has any one ever shot a hollow base conical with a wad and what were the results
I will find out next week on the 50 cal Hornady great plains conical. I know they work just fine on the 54 cal cva deerslayer conical. I suspect it will work fine as the hollow base on the Hornady has a very thick skirt just like the cva deerslayer

I've only used the pre-lubed wads, Oxy and EMS. I wonder what they use for lubes?
Others with more info can chime in, but I've always called all the pre-lubed ones 'Wonder Wads', because they have all been lubed with some version of Wonder Lube, Wonder Lube 1000, Micronized .... blah, blah, blah. But, I could be wrong. It has happened a couple of times before. :rolleyes:

Others with more info can chime in, but I've always called all the pre-lubed ones 'Wonder Wads', because they have all been lubed with some version of Wonder Lube, Wonder Lube 1000, Micronized .... blah, blah, blah. But, I could be wrong. It has happened a couple of times before. :rolleyes:
I've only used the pre-lubed wads, Oxy and EMS. I wonder what they use for lubes?
I just got some Eastern Maine Supply wads from TOW. They have a minty smell like Bore Butter. I would assume that's what they are lube with, and Bore Butter is just bees wax and olive oil with mint scent added.

I have been very pleased with a Durafelt wad lubed with 50/50 Bees Wax and Crisco under Lee R.E.A.L. slugs out of both a .50 Hawken and .54 Renegade. I have the appropriate .45 R.E.A.L. molds and punch* but have not tried it in .45 yet. I have an old .45 Hawken barrel I could never get to shoot with PRB, I need to try it with the R.E.A.L.s and wads.

*I bought a "metric" sized punch off fleabay to cut wads for the .45. I think it was 12mm and was also marked 15/32'? Anyway, I have not tried it yet.
I too have had good success with felt under a .50 cal REAL bullet as well. I got a roll of 1/8” thick by 11/2” wide by I thing 20’ long automotive felt from Amazon. I use a hole punch a smidge larger than the bullet, and to make loading them easier I take a glue stick and smear some on the base of the bullet and then stick the felt wad to it, then have some Crisco melted in a pan and dip them in base first then set on a sheet of waxed paper to set/dry. Works slicker than snot!😁

I too have had good success with felt under a .50 cal REAL bullet as well. I got a roll of 1/8” thick by 11/2” wide by I thing 20’ long automotive felt from Amazon. I use a hole punch a smidge larger than the bullet, and to make loading them easier I take a glue stick and smear some on the base of the bullet and then stick the felt wad to it, then have some Crisco melted in a pan and dip them in base first then set on a sheet of waxed paper to set/dry. Works slicker than snot!😁
That's a great idea! Hadn't thought or heard of it before.

Correction is on me ..I read the above which actually was talking about the Hornady bullet that is like a renamed Lee REAL
I would think not good however I read Can't recall where or how authoritative the author was) where there were battleground pickups with the hollow base filled ..which I would think would defeat the purpose of the hollow base??

Bear
I never ever use any over powder wad/card with any thing other than a plain based conical/or round ball

Back