• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wonders! That's what a felt wad will do!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in process of prepping for a December hunt in Idaho's Hells Canyon. Could be "Cold and Wet" or it could be "Cold and Cold"! I plan to use/test wool wads for 50 Cal. TC over the powder and use a ballistol lubed patch on RB. I am thinking to use the the wool wad to aid in accuracy, but also wanting to protect the powder from soaking up any ballistol from the patch after several days. I have not seen any discussion of "lubed vs non-lubed"felt or wool over the powder wads. My question is this, "if i lube the patch, I could still have problems of the powder soaking up the lube, but if I don't lube the patch, will the dry wool help with accuracy?"

Use a hard lube like SPG use it sparingly. Heat it up and mix it well. When it hardens it will be fine.

I am in process of prepping for a December hunt in Idaho's Hells Canyon. Could be "Cold and Wet" or it could be "Cold and Cold"! I plan to use/test wool wads for 50 Cal. TC over the powder and use a ballistol lubed patch on RB. I am thinking to use the the wool wad to aid in accuracy, but also wanting to protect the powder from soaking up any ballistol from the patch after several days. I have not seen any discussion of "lubed vs non-lubed"felt or wool over the powder wads. My question is this, "if i lube the patch, I could still have problems of the powder soaking up the lube, but if I don't lube the patch, will the dry wool help with accuracy?"
First off, sounds like a fine hunt you got planned. From what I’ve read on this thread and others you do want the wad lubed. I just made my first batch for my .50’s this past weekend and haven’t even tried them yet still I’m not speaking from personal experience. But I understand the reason for lubing them, the key is not to use a too wet a lube. I’m sure mink oil by itself would be fine. I use a beeswax, lard, and canola oil mixture that has a similar consistency to mink oil. I’m sure others will chime in.

I am in process of prepping for a December hunt in Idaho's Hells Canyon. Could be "Cold and Wet" or it could be "Cold and Cold"!
Better you than me! At least the rattlesnakes will be down for the winter. I am glad I got my hunting in early. I will be thinking about you poor guys, while drinking my coffee by the fire in the morning. Got buddies high in unit 39 right now and it is a" dry hole" so far. With the storm coming in Friday things may change... For them.. I will still be by the fire drinking coffee.

Felt wad experiment continues:

Today I shot my two CVA 54 cal 26" barrel 1:38 twist. Previously they were sighted in at 3" high at 50 yards 2" or less groups with 100 grains of Triple 7 and a CVA 375 grain conical that has a shallow hollow base with a thick skirt (realistically about as good as you can get with a ghostring sight).

Today I shot the same load but with a 58 cal Wonder Wad from Ox-Yoke. Both guns maintained the same size group but shot 5 inches lower and 2inches to the right. That tells me that the bullet is coming out MUCH faster as it is shooting flatter.

I adjusted the sights, brought them back to 3 " high at 50 yards and they shot 1-2 inch groups, no flyers.

I used the 58 cal wads as they seem to fully cover the grooves where the 54 only covered the lands.

I am happy with the results. Yes a stout load, but they are hunting guns, not target guns and are plenty accurate and now, I believe, good 120 yard hunting guns. Enough power for an elk, flat enough shooting to reach out to a reasonable distance for hunting.

Next is to shoot a 50 cal with 1:48 twist with Great Plains 385 grain Conical with 54 wads and 90 grains of Triple 7.

I need to install a lower front sight as I am currently out of "up" elevation adjustment and if it reacts the same as the 58 and 54s, I will need some more "up"

Last edited:
Been having problems with my Navy Arms Zoli Buffalo Hunter. No matter what bullet I use or powder load it has been acting more like a scatter gun than a musket. With an exceptionally large bore ( .581 ) I decided to try the Maxi 580 grain made by October Country.

No success, it shot high..very high and was a 6 inch group at 50 yards......powder up.....powder down..no help...still a shotgun. I changed the front sight from .500 to ,538 to bring the group down and upon conversation with a buddy, decided on using a felt wad.

So I added a 58 cal felt wad...WOW, what a difference. First off I ran out of elevation to adjust it was shooting so low...so I decided to go ahead a group it. Below is a 3 shot clean bore 50 yard group. It is obviously flinging out that 580 grain slug at a much higher velocity.

I came home and changed out front sight for a .450 and will head back to the range tomorrow.

So I am convinced. Felt wad it is for conical, at least in my .58

View attachment 168082

I have an old Sear and Roebuck 50 cal Hawkens's rifle kit I built back in the early 80's. Never shot it till about 3 years ago. I was having the same problem as you and was getting ready to get rid of it. Long story short, started shooting felt wads and I now can shoot a 2-inch group at 50 yards all day. Also, I heard some guns love them and some guns hate them. It's worth a try.

Fired 10 shots off hand today with the Buffalo Hunter using a Lee REAL 440 grain bullet. Had mutton tallow/beeswax in the grooves. Put a wad under the bullet , 100% cotton felt like material lightly lubed with olive oil .

Fired offhand at 40 yards using 70 grains of 2F. All shots were within 5" and the sights were right on. It was a quick test after working on the house for 4 hours, so not benchrest quality.

Also tried 70 grs of RS Pyrodex and 70 grs of Reenactor. Very close to the same impact point.

I am happy since it was all over the place with the minies I have tried. The Minnies are a little small for this bore.

Thanks for the idea.

Don

Back