• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckskins.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recognize that guy. Bob's mocs are from Crazy Crow. The pants are brain tan and narrow fall front if I remember correctly. The braintan jacket is a short "monkey" jacket similar in pattern to the New Mexican jackets in the 1st or 2nd "Mountainman Sketchbook".
I would also suggest German tanned hides from Crazy Crow or braintan. I currently have German tan pants for winter, braintav leggins for summer and my coat is braintan.
Good luck with the projects.

Any one can spend thier money on what they want. Any go slow advice is to give warning form past mistakes. People will say cut up an old pair of jeans, then you end up with buckskin Levi's. I did that. The pueblo moccs or New Mexican shoes he is wearing could have been found in Montana or Missouri, but would likly not befouled worn by many MM, as practical as they are.
We don't see much beadwork on MM clothing in the paintings or discriptions from the time. It's a lot of work, do you want to invest a lot of work in something on the edge of hc? This is a guy who did a lot of beadwork. Brass tacks in a gun looks wonderful to me. I truly love it. However we seem to find it on Indian guns and not those carried by white guys.
Dress like that and your welcome in my camp, cause I sure dressed like that, I made lots of mistakes, I'm still making them. I want to be 100% hc, will never make it, I hope I get closer with every new project.

No one is telling the poster to do anything but exercise caution. Things done in haste are often very expensive mistakes. To counsel the poster to take time to do some research is an attempt to help. Once one does some reading that is geared towards their own personal time/place of interest, much becomes clear and expensive mistakes can be avoided.

I understand the impulse to "get everything now", but it was a mistake for me. Much needed to be remade or discarded (I still have more to go). Thankfully, I had some people who mentored me and kept me from making additional costly mistakes.

Ultimately, pick a time, place and profession and look at original pieces in museums to replicate rather than using a modern print as evidence (and many times, evidence of the artists fancy rather than reality).

The hat is a plain felt round hat. My suggested source - http://www.hatsbygrizzmadewithjoy.com/ He hand works these and is an interesting character. Prices are not bad for such hand-made work.

As to the leather clothing, I would try out a pattern with canvas to shorten the learning curve. I do leather patterns in similar materials so that I learn without wasting the expensive materials. Then I do the final project with a more experienced set of skills.

The chorus advising you to study the historically correct sources to clarify your tastes before investing time and effort into a fleeting taste have a convincing point. But, it is your time and money.

Good luck with your project!

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Art:- I am pretty sure you are correct. The Museum of the Fur Trade has a lot on this but if I recall the yoke (or panel over the shoulders) is post 1840. Prior to that there was a seam at the top of the shoulders. Of course exceptions probably apply. Nobody seems to like long fringe (6-7") but if we are trying to duplicate things I think long fringe is the deal.

Apaws said:
So,

are you intending to use real sinew or artificial sinew? Research is the key. Be absolutely certain that is the persona you will do and what that story might be. Will these be worn to a primitive-only get together, trekking, or rondyvoos? Many start their research downloading from the internet images from Alfred Jacob Miller, and others from the time, with the caveat that field line sketches are considered to be 'more true' to the reality. Oh, and when I tried to make my own moccasins I did stretch the CC German Leather before hand, yet those moccasins still grew on my feet.

Best of luck,
Apaws
Oh and the devil is in the details

DON'T use artificial sinew. It looks artificial and there's no way to use it without it looking artificial. Either get the real stuff and soak it to soften it before sewing, or better yet get some waxed linen thread. Waxed linen thread was used on clothing and equipment at least back into the 1600's and probably much earlier than that. If you use artificial sinew, odds are you will tear it all apart in a year or two and re-sew it with the waxed linen thread or real sinew because the artificial stuff looks so artificial.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Latest posts

Back