• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess repo please help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
looking at a Brown Bess repo a guy is selling very cheap. anyone recognize this barrel mark???

Attachments

• IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8887.jpg
    IMG_8887.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_8888.jpg
    IMG_8888.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 105
Is your ball .750" diameter? A .735" mold (Lyman) would be more common to have. I have .735" and .715, both Lyman, for my Italian Bess. The bore is easy to check with a dial caliper but you still need to buy it regardless.

Hi,
As previously mentioned, it is a Japanese Miroku replica Bess. The barrel should be 75 caliber and they are made of excellent steel. The lock if treated as a mostly finished kit, can be turned into a first rate Bess lock although the stamped engraving is not quite right. The trigger guard is badly shaped and the the butt plate is too small for a real Bess. The stock is also too straight and too small for a real Bess. The other parts are pretty good. The barrel alone, if in good shape, is worth $200. I've salvaged parts from these guns, dumped the stocks, butt plates, and trigger guards, and built good copies of short land Besses using the rest of the hardware.

dave

would you call $200 cheap enough????
DUDE $400 for a Jap Bess with all the parts would be "cheap enough". A 46" piece of PVC pipe capped at one end, and a gallon of Evaporust, and you can bring that barrel back. When done with the barrel you can do the ramrod. Dunk the lock in Evaporust in a Tupperware container, and that will be fine too. Refinishing the stock is easy too. NOW I'm talking about bringing it back to very good condition for shooting or for use/resale to a reenactor. Mr. Person turns a factory Bess into something you could go back in time with and not be thought odd.... so his standards are higher (correctly imho) than a reenactor or sport/living history shooter.

LD

Dunk the lock in Evaporust in a Tupperware container, and that will be fine too.
LD
DO NOT put the lock in evaporust without taking it apart. Keep the springs out of the evaporust. It will cause them to shatter. Trust me, just had this happen a couple weeks ago. Guy on the fb brown bess group sent me a link to a report that will explain it. Really, keep the springs out of the evaporust.

Fb group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/393297801790463/?ref=share
Here is the exterior link to that article: Evaporust and springs breaking.

Last edited:
Yep a miroku. If the bore is not a sewer pipe I’d snag that up if it’s cheap. All that surface rust on the outside will clean up good with some elbow grease and leave a nice patina.
if it is a smoothbore rust will not matter

Latest posts

Back