• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No side plate screws???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_20230706_223306052_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230706_223228389_HDR.jpg

Lock plate screw ends are clearly visible, flush with the outside of the plate as is the norm, but no screw heads on the other side.
Pry off/out the side plate and there they are! This is the Spanish made .36 caliber long rifle that I bought today. The side plate inletting work is fair, better than some I've seen, but not like on my T/C guns. The side plate is rather thin, about half the thickness I'm used to seeing. I can see the plate falling off during use, and not being worried about the originality, or the lack thereof, of the gun, I think I'll add a couple of small brass screws at a couple of points to retain the plate.
I'm wondering if I should just use wood screws or go the extra and put in threaded inserts for machine screws.

Kinda makes me wonder if this rifle was ever fired or has been a wallhanger. There are no signs of having been fired that I see.

I would suggest steel screws rather than brass. Just looks better, plus, steel is more appropriate as far as I know.
Point taken, I appreciate the advice. I thought brass because the plate is (thin) brass, maybe not obvious in my pics.

Point taken, I appreciate the advice. I thought brass because the plate is (thin) brass, maybe not obvious in my pics.
If you are serious about ‘correcting’ things you could spot holes through the side plate and just use longer screws. Personally, not sure I care for the side plate or screw location and would consider a new side plate. Easy to make.

All you need to hold the plate and keep it from falling out is the top screw, it has the hole the hole fairly well centered and would be easy to replace with a longer screw. Leave the front screw hidden.
And perplexity for some future owner, but I like the idea; it’ll look right and fixes the problem.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I'm thinking about inletting the trigger guard a little more too.

Tom, take care inletting the guard take a good look at the front trigger to guard gap, may have to shorten the trigger some.

If you leave the front bolt coverd you will still need to remove the side plate to remove the lock.

Do as suggested and spot for holes from the lock side and drill the plate. If the bolts aren't long enough just replace them.

Back