• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breeching an older barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliek

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am fitting the breech plug on a barrel which has been in the closet for some time. The question is which flat should go up? The barrel is marked "GRRW 32A" with a marker on one flat near the muzzle.
On another flat near the breech it is stamped "GR (with the R upside down) 8114". The breech plug is seated solidly, but the tang does not line up with either of the labeled flats. Is this a problem? Should I adjust to line up with one of the labeled flats and if so which one?

Well, I certainly would want all the markings on the bottom where you couldn't see them! :wink:

Most gunbuilders want the factory markings on a barrel hidden.
If the tang has to be rotated to accomplish that then so be it unless you really don't want to re breech the barrel.

Your the only one you really have to please. :)

Thanks, if runout is not likely to be an issue I can draw file the stamped marking out, its pretty shallow.

For an older barrel, I would definitely put the stampings on the bottom. Allot of older barrels had runout & the barrel is normally stamped purposely to have the barrel rotated for your benefit & stamping goes to bottom.

On newer barrels you seldom see runout & it may not be as critical.

Keith Lisle

Please don't think of this response as rude. Only thinking of your safety and enjoyment.

If you have to ask such a basic question, IMHO, you are not qualified to install a breech plug. Such installation is, perhaps, the most important and difficult step involved in rifle building. I suggest you send the barrel and plug to a qualified bp gunsmith with instructions where you want which flat and let them do a proper (and safe) job.

GRRW barrels were centered up, so no runout should be present. They called them "Plumb Center" barrels. They are very good barrels, so enjoy having one of the best! Good luck on your build.

Rifleman1776 said:
Please don't think of this response as rude. Only thinking of your safety and enjoyment.

If you have to ask such a basic question, IMHO, you are not qualified to install a breech plug. Such installation is, perhaps, the most important and difficult step involved in rifle building. I suggest you send the barrel and plug to a qualified bp gunsmith with instructions where you want which flat and let them do a proper (and safe) job.

:grin:

This advice from one ol' feller to another.

:surrender: :stir:

Back