• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breach loading Hawken (I think)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Sanders

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took a trip to the Missouri history museum today and saw what looked like a Hawken style rifle in a display case. It looked normal in every respect but definitely had a small hinged trap door at the breach. Maybe an inch or so in length. Would any one know if the Hawken brothers or any one else made such a rifle? I don't think it was a cartridge rifle but since I could not get a hands on look I could not be sure. :confused:

HH 60

When J. P. Gemmer owned the right to mark guns with the Hawken Stamp, he made a number of breech loading rifles with the classic Hawken stock architecture and heavy barrels. There are trap door Springfield actions, Sharps actions and Remington rolling block actions.

That rifle is pictured in one of John Baird's two books on Hawkens - I'll try and remember to scan and post it, as noted it's a product of the Hawken shop after Gemmer bought it in 1862.

As has been mentioned. Gemmer did some work with either Sharps or Spencer (my memory is failing :grin: ) parts on a Hawken'ish stock.

Believe there is a good example of that style at the Cody museum.

Sorry, I don't have pic's, not within my interest of Hawken rifles...

Gentlemen:
I hate to rain on the parade but if we are talking about a breech loading gun, it is outside the limits of the forum.

It doesn't matter if the Hawkens or any other gunsmith built or worked on it.

If someone can identify the gun as something that is purely a muzzleloader, the discussion can go on.

Back