• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass vent liners are junk!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Went shooting today with a new brass vent liner in my rifle.
I installed it as I do with everything else, a good coat of anti-sieze on the threads.
Well, it stuck. Couldn't get it out. The soft brass just stripped out when I tried to remove it.
I had to drill it out.
Now I have to find a 6mm x .75mm tap to get the rest of the brass out of the threads.
I'm a very unhappy camper right now :(

Huntin

Why would you want to remove it if you just installed it? :: Brass touch hole liners last a good 500-600 shots. :redthumb:

Went shooting today with a new brass vent liner in my rifle.
I installed it as I do with everything else, a good coat of anti-sieze on the threads.
Well, it stuck. Couldn't get it out. The soft brass just stripped out when I tried to remove it.
I had to drill it out.
Now I have to find a 6mm x .75mm tap to get the rest of the brass out of the threads.
I'm a very unhappy camper right now :(

Huntin

Bummer...didn't even know vent liners were offerred in brass, thought they were all hard stainless steel...learn something new every day

My vent liner's slot is filed flush with the barrel. If anyone in the future feels a need to remove it they can easily drill it out large enough for an easy-out tool. Hmmmm. Brass would be darkened after a few shots and not shine like my stainless vent liner. Maybe someday I'll try brass so it will blend in better with the barrel color which is brown/black. Would running a tap through your vent hole clean it out for you or would that be wrong?

Huntin
I ordered some bronz liners from TOW. Are they what you are talking about? I sure hope not. If they are I won't use them.
Old Charlie

They are the ones I got from TOTW.
Being the idiot that I am, I jumped the gun and drilled it out. I just tried to get the rest out with an easy out but there's not enough left to grab onto.
I went to Sears looking for an 6mm x .75mm tap but no luck.
The search continues. Going to Ebay now.
Leave it to me to ruin a brand new barrel.
Huntin

Don't know about plain ol brass liners.. I have used dozens of bronze Ampco vent liners & have no problems with them. I know you can get over 3000 shots out of them as I have more than that on a Jaeger I been shootin. Also that is what I use in rifles I build for customers that want a removable liner.

One thing I do fine on allot of people installing vent liners. for some reason they think they need to tighten the bejesus out of them. Not So. Just put a lil Neverseize on the threads & put the liner in & just barely snug it. (note I said barely. NOT Tight ?) It will not loosen or come out on its own & the next time you want to take it out it will easily come out.

:results:

These are bronze. I thought they were brass. Never less they very soft.
I found a cheap tap and die set on Ebay and bought it.
I'll have her fixed by the end of the week I hope.

Huntin

I even go so far as to just barely snug it, then back it off just a hair. The vent liners on both my GPR and my pistol are long enough there's a ton of thread there. I've been shooting a "loose" liner in my GPR for years, and never had a problem removing it when I needed to. I normally put a tiny drop of oil on the thread when I put them back in.

Instead of re-tapping the hole, could you perhaps solder or epoxy a small metal rod or something into the drilled hole in the liner? Let it sit for 24 hours, then use a pair of vise-grips out on the end to get some leverage on it and break it free. Soak it with some WD-40 first, and I would think it would come right out without re-tapping the hole. Of course, that is if you left enough of the liner to glue the rod to.

There's not enough liner to do that.
Most of it came out but there is still some in the threads.
I'm not really re-tapping it. I will use the tap to clean the threads.
I think it should work fine. If not, I will re-tap larger and use the appropriately threaded liner.

Huntin

Try looking up Wholesale Tool or J&L Industrial Supply on the net. Either one should have the tap you need.

I would try picking the remains out with a dental pick or similar tool. Chances are good that you'll cross thread the existing threads if you don't start the tap correctly which at best would be a manure shoot. Find the recommended drill for the existing tap and remove as much of the liner as possible from the sounds of it your probably close to that now. You should be able to pick the rest out. I think this is your best bet. Uncrichie...

I have a dental pick but what's left in there won't come out.
I'm going to tap it out when my tap and die set get's here.
Wish me luck.

Huntin

This is interesting.. are some of you saying that you do not have to pull the vent liner each time you clean the rifle? As many of you know, flintlocks are new to me. I pull the vent liner and give the rifle its water bath. After I clean the ventliner I re-grease it and install it again...

I just figured it like the nipple on an percussion rifle, it had to be removed and cleaned each time...

It does not need to be removed. No more than the breech-plug or the rear sight. Two of my flinters were just a hole drilled in the barrel, another had the liner filed flush with the barrel flat and it was mostly permanent.

Right on, the liner on my Jaeger is "non-removeable". Of course at first I didn't understand that and the Birddog6 had to 'splain it to me.

Rat

NO.... you do not have to pull it each time you clean. In fact I would say DONT pull it unless it is broke.
I don't Pull mine nor do I remove the barrel from the stock.

Hairsmith

Well that is interesting. It is stainless steel and is set up with an allen wrench for easy removal. I just figured it was made that way so it could be removed.

I am not sure if I will take your advise and leave it alone. When I remove it, I can inspect it, check the threads, force a lot more water through the barrel and the vent, clean the threads on the rifle, and I really see it as a bother.

Perhaps I will only remove it every so often.... thanks again.

Back