• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Yup... I finally did it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDHunter

32 Cal
Reaction score
I finally had a stuck ball. I've been shooting muzzleloaders for roughly 13 years but got my first flintlock about a year ago. I went to the range today to try and get it sighted in now that I worked up a load. The last shot I tried to take wouldn't ignite. Of course I forgot my screw driver so I couldn't pull the vent liner to put powder behind it. I packed up and went home where I put the air compressor to it and of course nothing. I then went to the ball puller and of course it pulled out. Now I have a hole through my ball and can't use the air compressor method. Would the powder behind the vent liner trick still work with a hole through the ball? I know I'm an idiot but any help would be appreciated.

I think it did. Air hisses through when I put the air compressor to it and it didn't budge one bit when I tried pulling it so I don't think its getting around the ball. I am going to have to try to shoot it out regardless.

Last edited:
Update:

The ball did have a hole through it from the ball puller. The fire shot right through the hole and didn't move the ball at all. Luckily I'm a hoarder and had an older ball puller that was thicker and was able to get a good bite on it and walk it out. On the downside my rifle took a tumble and the Buckhorn bent. I was able to get it into usable condition but I'll have to order a new one. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Attachments

• 20230102_184542.jpg
    20230102_184542.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230102_184548.jpg
    20230102_184548.jpg
    901.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230102_184559.jpg
    20230102_184559.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry to hear about the buckhorn sight but for future reference you should be able to tap powder through the touch hole without removing it. I have had to do this twice, now and it works well. BTW I was using 3f powder to do it. 4f should go with no problem.

I am impressed that you pulled that with a wooden ramrod or am I not seeing this correctly?
I am a h..hoarder too but I never see you at the monthly meetings!
I did use my ramrod. I put an old .54 jag in one end and the ball pulled in the other. I clamped the jag in the vice and walked backwards with the barrel. I refuse to give up hoarding, just when I'm about to, that random thing I've had for 5 years comes in handy!
Sorry to hear about the buckhorn sight but for future reference you should be able to tap powder through the touch hole without removing it. I have had to do this twice, now and it works well. BTW I was using 3f powder to do it. 4f should go with no problem.
I couldn't get enough in there. I tried that at the range and at 25 degrees Fahrenheit I wasn't going to waste more time than I had to.

As they say, there are two kinds of people who shoot muzzle loaders : those that have dry balled and those that will!

I have dry balled many a times and not afraid to admit it!

Next time it happens and it will, dump lil water down the barrel and let it soak into the patch, it will be easier to pull. Ask me how i know!!!

I have dry balled many a times and not afraid to admit it!

Next time it happens and it will, dump lil water down the barrel and let it soak into the patch, it will be easier to pull. Ask me how i know!!!
That's exactly what I did. Water and 91% alcohol. Pulled right out slicker than snot.

I get one stuck more often than I would like known. ALWAYS, before screwing the puller into the ball, I soak it good, real good, with WD40. Let it get soaked in, then pull it. Has never failed me.

I finally had a stuck ball. I've been shooting muzzleloaders for roughly 13 years but got my first flintlock about a year ago. I went to the range today to try and get it sighted in now that I worked up a load. The last shot I tried to take wouldn't ignite. Of course I forgot my screw driver so I couldn't pull the vent liner to put powder behind it. I packed up and went home where I put the air compressor to it and of course nothing. I then went to the ball puller and of course it pulled out. Now I have a hole through my ball and can't use the air compressor method. Would the powder behind the vent liner trick still work with a hole through the ball? I know I'm an idiot but any help would be appreciated.
Personally, I would toss the ball. I wouldn't take a chance on a damaged ball causing an obstruction on it's way out the barrel and a catastrophic failure. Semper Fi.

Back