• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand / type of muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan d

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not new to the hobby as I have hunted with a muzzleloader for over 30 years. What I am new to is flintlocks & thinking about going to traditional shooting events. I am really starting to get interesting in going to events here in Michigan (maybe even the big one in Friendship In.)

Right now I only own a pair of traditions deerhunters (in flintlock) I like them & they shot fine for me. Don't get me wrong I have been over to a friend of a friends house to see his collection of Bill Large guns with Siler locks & curly maple stocks & had a hard time not drooling all over them.

My question is if I go to these events am I going to feel like the outsider with a Honda at the vintage car show lined up next to Chevy Nova's , Camaro's , Ford mustangs, thunderbirds & Chrysler Hemi cuda's ? :redface:

Dan

Prove yourself as a solid shooter & you'll be welcome anywhere. You'll find knuckledragger goobers everywhere that do their best to show off their superior knowledge by badmouthing everything to the type of rifle your shoot to the way you tie your shoes, but for the most part, asking questions & showing interest in anything with a Siler lock (and drooling over finely figured maple)will get you all the advice and attention you can handle.

A little. :haha:
Don't let it bother you. Everybody starts somewhere. Plenty(most) of the guys with really nice custom/original rifles started with a T/C or a Lyman or a CVA etc. With a good attitude you will be accepted by almost everyone there. They might poke a bit of fun at you from time to time but they won't run you off. If they do then you need to find a better crowd to hang around anyway. :wink:

ps. The one problem you might run into at a traditional shoot is the adjustable sights on your Deerstalker. A lot of traditional shoots require fixed iron sights.

The one deer hunter I have is older with the fixed sights, that was something I didn't think about so I'm glad you mentioned that !

Maybe I should leave the Honda in the garage :redface: I am also into traditional archery & use just a stick & string (so I know & love traditional stuff) but I see the looks others get when bringing their bows with training wheels on them (compound bows) to a trad shoot & I would feel uncomfortable being one of them guys.

The only downside would be in your mind. Go, do yer thing and enjoy. Keep in mind, nearly everyone there started with a factory built rifle. Getting a custom is part of the journey, not the beginning.
At the primitive side you may find rule restrictions against adjustable sights. When I used my TC 'hawken' I removed the factory sights, cut dovetails and installed traditional fixed types. Not hard, fun project.

Rifleman1776 said:
The only downside would be in your mind.

You nailed it ! That is a definate problem for me, just wondering if it's an issue or if I might be going :youcrazy:
:grin:

I will get one in the next few years, I really enjoy the traditional archery events and from what I hear I might enjoy the muzzleloading events more as a friend has gone to the Laingsburg mi. & Friendship In. Events & from what I hear they sound like something I would really enjoy.

But I would not enjoy taking a Honda to a Car show & Im thinking it would be the same thing at a muzzleloader event at least in my mind. It will be a bit before I can afford a real muzzleloader :(

Dan

Really? What if it's a 1959 Honda!?

You might try going to the event(s) not as a participant the first year but as a spectator or more, a non-shooting participant. Consider it your Apprenticeship. Next year you become a Journeyman. A few years from now you'll have earned the right to be a Master too, telling every newbie and Journeyman your personal opinions about them, their equipment, their knowledge, skill and attitude from little more than a glance (yes, including what kind of buckles they have on their Fugawees and the condition of their Honda)...

Go for it, and bring that traditional-sighted rifle, a little powder, some patch and balls just for the heck of it!

Hey, I am a Michigan born and raised man. Now is the best time to get into the sport while in Michigan. Due to the poor economy many decent custom guns can be had for a reasonable price. Many of the people can no longer afford the top dollar guns these days. I got into the sport shooting a cva squirrel rifle, then a TC hawkens, then a TN MT rifle. I still shoot the TC to this day and have no issues using it. Then again I am a respectable shooter and its tough to clown on someone gun when they got beat. Like rifleman said I also changed out the large TC adjustable sight and changed to a non-adjustable one as well. But no worries 99 percent of the people are great people and a blast to be around. Most will accept you with open arms. As long as your sights aren't fiber optic you should be ok to start out with. If you live on the east side of the state Kenockee Trading Post in kenockee, MI is a great place to look for guns. Also sitting Fox is located in the thumb area, down river Detroit are Jediah Trading Post is a great place as well.

If you carry money to friendship you will have a pretty stock as well! In really enjoy the venders at the larger shoots. Geo. T.

2_Tall said:
Hey, I am a Michigan born and raised man. If you live on the east side of the state Kenockee Trading Post in kenockee, MI is a great place to look for guns. Also sitting Fox is located in the thumb area, down river Detroit are Jediah Trading Post is a great place as well.

I too am born & raised here in Michigan, been here 51 years now ! (might tell ya I'm not bright enough to get the heck out :grin: ) I live in the Thumb (northern tip, I enjoy the rural life) I was to Kenockee trading post a few months back, that's where one of the tradition guns came from. That was before I realized how much I enjoy the hobby & want to get in to more of the activities. (nicer gun) I was on sitting fox's website a while back but was intimidated by the prices, the Michigan depression must not of hit there yet.

Geo T said:
If you carry money to friendship you will have a pretty stock as well! In really enjoy the venders at the larger shoots. Geo. T.

I could go to the shows as a spectator & bring some money, might be the way to find a nice gun.

Dan

Yeah Anson and Judy are two great people out at Kenockee's I grew up down the road from them and have spent a great deal of cash in the place over the years. Now you need to hit ole Minden City Swamp and get after the big ole bucks.

Also 4 squares sportsman club in Jeddo usually has a solid winter black powder league and woods walk. I haven't been a member out there since I left Michigan though. So not sure what they have an more.

Your starting to get closer to me (Minden city swamp) But I hunt another 30 miles (guessing) north of there near the Verona swamp game area. I have hunted the tire swamp north of minden city.

Yes the folks at Kenockee trading post are good people !

Dan

Well, all I do is traditional shoots with a flintlock. Anybody that shows up with his act together, dresses primitive, is a safe shooter and is carrying a flint TC is OK with us. Not everybody can afford an expensive custom rifle or smoothbore. None of mine are fancy. You show up at a match I'm in and I may razz you for missing, or razz you if your capgun only goes pop, but not for the smokepole that you are carrying.

Many Klatch

My question is if I go to these events am I going to feel like the outsider with a Honda at the vintage car show lined up next to Chevy Nova's , Camaro's , Ford mustangs, thunderbirds & Chrysler Hemi cuda's ?

To quote James Clavell in his book "Shogun"....

Not if you win. :grin:

Hey Dan where in Michigan are you? I have been looking for some BP shooters to shoot with. I live south of Detroit. There is the State NMLRA territorial shoot in August that I plan on attending, which is up in a little town called Beaverton. I also have no fancy smokepoles. I have a TC caplock hawken, a cva caplock hawken, a pedersoli pennsylvania in flint, and a pedersoli pistol in caplock. All have been bought used, and I enjoy shooting all of them. I saw a few fancy ones at last year's shoot, but most were shooting T/C's. Everyone dresses casual there, no period clothing required. Very relaxed and nice people to shoot with and nice atmosphere. I plan on going back this year. Drop me a line as to where you are in MI.

Anybody that shows up with his act together, dresses primitive, is a safe shooter and is carrying a flint TC is OK with us.

:thumbsup:
It wasn't all that long ago that I showed up at Friendship with my Honda. Many Klatch was one of the guys I started hanging out and shooting with. Just look what happened... they done went and corrupted me! :grin: :hatsoff:

Charley said:
Hey Dan where in Michigan are you? I have been looking for some BP shooters to shoot with. I live south of Detroit. Drop me a line as to where you are in MI.

I'm a ways away from you as I live 2 hours north of Detroit. I have been out shooting & I'm pretty happy with the traditions. I would like to some day pick up something nicer, but I'm in no big hurry.

Thanks for all the replies !
Dan

Back