• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought Brown Bess, NOW I WANT TO SHOOT IT!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DillyJamba

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Bess and probably overpaid but I'm a sucker for the historical appeal of the East India markings and I've always wanted a flintlock. The gun seems to be in pretty good shape (repro stock unfortunately) but I'd rather not blow myself up, un advice for getting started? Or is this just a bad idea?

Should I just use calipers to measure the end of the barrel to judge the size ball to buy?

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 0
  • bb5.jpg
    bb5.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bb6.jpg
    bb6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
Calipers are a good tool to measure the bore of your East India Company Musket. Have you had someone with experience inspect the musket?

It has a replacement stock. How well do the rest of the parts function?

I would prefer to offer advice based on a physical inspection of your EIC Bess. I just don't trust my key board recommendations when a personal evaluation is possible.

Last edited:
No!!!
It can’t hurt to have someone knowledgeable check it over before you rush in to shoot it. Just from one photograph you included made me question the safety of the gun and I am no expert!
Is the barrel breech set firmly against the stock? Looks from the photo that there is a (big?) gap.
Also, is that a seam in the barrel you see in the muzzle picture???https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/muzzleloadingforum/data/attach/229/229937-bb3.jpg

Last edited:
It is not a Brown Bess but a put together made from a Nepali parts gun. New stock Nepali barrel (notice the two feet mark and lack of any other proof marks. The locks are even suspect you should dismount the lock and check for any makers marks. I have reviewed many of these locks at IMA and found very few that were actual British made locks or that were not embelished with lock plate markings.

No!!!
It can’t hurt to have someone knowledgeable check it over before you rush in to shoot it. Just from one photograph you included made me question the safety of the gun and I am no expert!
Is the barrel breech set firmly against the stock? Looks from the photo that there is a (big?) gap.
Also, is that a seam in the barrel you see in the muzzle picture???https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/muzzleloadingforum/data/attach/229/229937-bb3.jpg
From what I've seen that barrel marking is typical when I looked up other examples of these IMA kits, but I appreciate it from the feedback I've received I'm planning on having it inspected before firing.

It is not a Brown Bess but a put together made from a Nepali parts gun. New stock Nepali barrel (notice the two feet mark and lack of any other proof marks. The locks are even suspect you should dismount the lock and check for any makers marks. I have reviewed many of these locks at IMA and found very few that were actual British made locks or that were not embelished with lock plate markings.
Interesting and also very disappointing haha, maybe I should have posted this before bidding! I'll be sure to check the lock so the "Goff" marker mark may be a false embellishment?

It may be but you need to dismount the lock and review for any makers marks located on the inside of the lock plate. If you don't find any inside on the lock plate it is not a British lock. Stock is a replacement stock from IMA. With that said it is still a nice looking musket. Just have the barrel checked including the breech plug prior to firing. You will need to remove the barrel for a full inspection.

Back