• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd Model Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolcat

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum, I am hoping to get some history on a 2nd model Brown Bess that I recently purchased.
It's definitely a 2nd model with the proper tower proof marks, but the lock is by Wilson with the heart logo of the East Indian Company dated 1779.

The seller told me that the lock was a period replacement from a another Fussel that was on hand.
I thought that the Wilson East Indian locks were made for the 3rd model not the second.If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it
Thanks

OK so, from my reading, the Short Land Pattern King's Musket, aka the 2nd Model Bess were all fitted with locks marked "Tower".
IF you have a lock that fits it, and it's marked "Wilson" with a date and the BEIC logo, because the two locks were different sized between the SLP/2nd Model Bess and the EIC/3rd Model Bess... you likely have a 3rd Model Bess.

BUT we need to see some photos.

LD

Hi,
We need photos. Folks who know the history of Brown Bess muskets no longer refer to "models". The muskets were made in patterns that changed over time. We need to see the barrel markings, the lock, the side plate, the trigger guard, and the ramrod pipes. How long is the barrel?

dave

The easiest way to determine the model or pattern is with the barrel length.

Long Lands had barrels that were standard at 46”, however its not uncommmon to find some between 44-46”.

Short Lands had barrels that were standard at 42”, and its not uncommon to find some at 41”

Third Model Patterns had barrel that were standard at 39”, generally not longer.

We we would need pictures of the lock to help, but the Wilson Lock with the heart on it was third model lock.

FWIW a 1779 dated EIC musket is not identical to the India Pattern Bess which was not adopted until the 1790s by the British service. EIC privately purchased muskets but with the start of the AWI many of these muskets destined for India service were appropriated for use in the North American Colonies. Being private purchase many were better made than the current service muskets. I do not know if a EIC pattern 1771 musket lock would fit a short land or not. Not having had both at the same time.

Back