• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter as a Lube to prevent rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Oxyoke 1000 for everything on a MLer....the bore and the bbl and stock...and use it for a patch lube. Nice having only one
"jar" that does everything. Oxyoke is a "waxy" substance that when applied to the bore, doesn't run and collect at the lowest level like oils, etc. In fact it's also good for chapped lips....Fred

Cynthialee said:
NO!

There are any number of good products for this purpose. Bore butter is only good for sealing revolver cylinders and maybe as a patch lube if it is all you have in your shooting box.

Not my idea someone here said it 1st, just can't remember who :idunno:

"Bore butter makes a passable boot dressing" My wife "reorganized" put more of my stuff in the shed this summer while I was on the road, I ended up using Bore Butter on my boots for hunting :thumbsup:

LOL.....referring only to NL1000 'bore butter', the olny reason(s) some people have had problems is because they only 'thought' their bores were 100% clean and 100% dry before using it...and/or they didn't use enough...Because there's no denying it works fines for those who satisfy those 3 requirements.
:thumbsup:

roundball said:
If a bore is 100% clean, 100% dry, then kept 100% coated / insulated from the air, it can't rust.

The key part in this is the "IF", better to use gun oil.

To be honest with you, the use of bore butter as a rust prevention method depends on how humid your climate is. I have read where others use it religiously,especially in dry climates. Give it a try, but keep an eye on your bore.

Accralube is an extremely pure, high-grade oil that pours freely at -50°F and is nongumming at high temperatures. It resists displacement from high pressure on contact surfaces such as sear and mainspring engagements and tumbler contact areas. In other words, this is a great oil that will keep your lock working freely and smoothly in all weather. Accragard is absolutely the best bore protector we have ever tried. With Accragard in your barrel you can forget about any rust. You can get it from Jim Chambes. www.flintlocks.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I never used Bore Butter for rust protection or storage. I'm on the BC Barricade bandwagon. I use enough to spray it right out of the nipples, then store muzzle-down to drain-out the flash channel on my percussion guns.

As Roundball mentioned, it (Bore Butter) can work--it's just a lot harder to deal with, creates a huge mess in order to make sure that every surface is coated, if you "check it" there's a chance you could wipe some off of a portion of what you're trying to protect, and using it requires extensive clean-up to get it all out.

In general, most ignition problems in percussion guns involve excess crud or moisture in the flash channel. Not removing all of the Bore Butter helps to create such a condition, and WILL lead to misfires! This is why I stick with Barricade and muzzle-down storage. A simple dry patch to wipe-out excess oil, then a couple caps & load it up and fire the gun all day long! What could be easier than THAT? If it ain't broke....

Dave
Black Powder Competitive Shooter, Hunter, Mentor
NRA CRSO
NMLRA Field Rep

No, and I don't consider Bore Butter (I use NL1000) a rust preventative or good for storage. It won't cause rust and does makes a good patch lube for a first load of the day. I use Barricade and sometimes Break Free CLP as a rust preventative.

hanshi said:
No, and I don't consider Bore Butter (I use NL1000) a rust preventative or good for storage. It won't cause rust and does makes a good patch lube for a first load of the day. I use Barricade and sometimes Break Free CLP as a rust preventative.

:thumbsup:

My preferance for blackpowder guns is to use 50/50 Ballistol/water for cleaning followed by pure Ballistol for rust prevention. No rust so far.

timing being what it is; I was just flipping through TotW last night looking at lubes. One thing I noted with Woderlubes (all of them it seems) is the statement "Not for cold weather use". So, I guess I at least am looking up recipes for olive oil / Bees wax compounds. I'll try to figure out where best to post my query on that later.

Your's is just the second post to mention Ballistol. I'm fairly new to Blackpowder but had always heard that Blackpowder shooters love Ballistol. Especially since it mixes with water as your technique shows. Just surprised more folks don't use it. I like it. I've tried the borebutter and have found rust on a recheck. Maybe my fault in cleaning/applying.

I actually already have Ballistol. But have gotten conflicting reports as to it's effectiveness in one area or another.

Latest posts

Back