• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Brush stuck in Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a .54 Renegade and ran a .50 bore brush with a wet patch down the bore. The brush somehow broke off and is stuck down at the bottom. Tried using a CO2 and air compressor to get it out but the air is escaping around the patch and brush because it isnt a real tight fit. Any suggestions?

get a piece of rigid copper tubing that will fit inside the barrel. Run it down and over the brush/patch and pull it out.

Eric,

Sometimes a patch worm on the end of a range rod will do the trick, as it has already worked for me! The model with about an inch long worm will engage the brush snugly enough to let you simply pull it out.

We could get together if you don't have the part.

I'm just a call away. I could meet you and fix this for you.......

Dave

I was able to do it with a coat hanger twisted into a nice worm at the end. The fact that yours has a patch onit also may make it too hard for a coat hanger. Don't buy bore brushes that are crimped into the jag, those tend to pull out in a traditional muzzleloader barrel. You want the kind that are secured by the wire that forms the axis of the brush. It is wrapped through the jag and won't pull off.

Bobber has the right ides. Works slick as a whistle. Finding the right size copper tubing long and straight enough is the trick. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I'll back up the copper tubing for the brush removal.

Brushes are rarely needed unless you have lead fouling. Then, forget the patch around it. Let the brush do its own job. Use a metal range rod and a brush that is wired into place, not the crimped version as mentioned.

Plastic tubing would work as well, I had a simliar situation I had a head seperation in a 375 H &H I used an oversized bore brush and popped the stuck shell head out. Yor need something hollow and softer than your barrel.

I had that happen once and used another brush to pull the stuck one out. I was surprised haw well it worked.

Are you sure it broke or did it just come unscrewed? The reason I ask is that many times if I'm not careful, the rifling will turn whatever I've got on the end of the rod until it's off.

After I spend a good minute cussin' I carefully put the rod back down the bore, feel around for the end of the brush/jag/whatever that's stuck and then screw the rod back on to the stuck brush/jag/whatever.

It's always inconvenient, but it's always worked.

I got one stuck in the late 70's. Another vote for the copper tubing trick.

If you want to use a brush make sure you get the kind that use one piece of wire threaded through a hole in the threaded connector. DO NOT use the kind made by crimping a length of brush in the threaded connector.

I didn't realize this was a bore brush. I thought it was a cleaning jag that was stuck. I would get with Smokin50 if your still having trouble. I'm sure he can help fix you up.

Problem solved. Smoking 50 and I met up and he shot it out with a little powder. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rich,

Eric is all set! I broke-off the worm trying to get it to "bite" the brush :haha: so we trickled some 3Fg under the nipple! After we shot the brush out, (it landed about 15 feet in front of the bench)I cleaned the bore for him with some Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. That got rid of any dust or anything else in there! We packed her up and drove to the Indoor range to get out of the cold. Then I slid a Bore Light down the throat to inspect the bore, and it was clean as a whistle, with nice rifling!

Eric is very pleased! Since I don't own a .54 I couldn't give him too much info on exact patch thickness or ball size, so I told him to start with a .015 pre-lubed patch and a .530 ball. Any other recommendations including both a target & hunting load would benefit him since he wants to come back and try to sight it in on Sunday!

Glad to be of help!

Dave

Dave, thanks alot for all the help and information you provided. It was great meeting you. Took your advise and ordered all the supplies I would need from Dixon's. I can't wait to get the supplies to shoot. Also cleaned the gun like you suggested when I got home. Thanks again.

:thumbsup: You're welcome! Hope we can shoot this Sunday! I'm going to see the guy with the .54 Hawken on Thursday night. I'll make sure he shows-up with extra stuff to feed your rifle!

Pleasure meeting you too! I'll let you know if it's a green light for Sunday!

Be safe & see ya soon!

Dave

Back